Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SkyTeam Awards

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2012, 3:48 am

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
IME, FlyingBlue award inventory on CI corresponds fully with what ExpertFlyer shows, but does not match what Delta agents have claimed to see (even if I've been careful to avoid blackout dates). Some times it's been resolved with a request for a long sell, and some times not. Calling again may get you an agent from a different call center with a different search system or technique.
Thanks everyone. I ended up deciding to go with Cathay routing through HKG this time instead.

Will definitely try again next time (eyeing on KE's A380)
Old Aug 25, 2012, 8:34 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by UA Fan
Sorry for going OT but does CI charge YQ?
I'm pretty sure that now that YR is being collected for KE, all of the Asian partners have surcharges collected.
Old Aug 25, 2012, 12:39 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by mtkeller
I'm pretty sure that now that YR is being collected for KE, all of the Asian partners have surcharges collected.
Anyone have a list of ST/partner airlines on which DL does not (yet) collect YR/YQ?

And second, do we know is DL actually paying the YR/YQ to the carrier in question, or like other airlines (e.g. AC I think some have said) it is simply keeping it for itself?

Side thought: now with more YR/YQ charges (esp. if DL is stuffing it in its own pockets), lower mileage earning on certain channel tickets, etc., the upside is that may be, just may be, EOS may not be yet that near. The new reservations system, yes, that is badly needed (and that will enable DL to EOS anytime at its will), but as both mileage earning and spending have been recently changed to provide less value, could that be a sign of still the system as we know it sticking around for a while longer, and thus the esp. nasty FBATR not yet being implemented and the same for price-based vs. distance-based earning?
Old Aug 30, 2012, 9:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by RealHJ
Anyone have a list of ST/partner airlines on which DL does not (yet) collect YR/YQ?
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...demptions.html
Old Aug 30, 2012, 11:05 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Great, thanks.

So then airlines for which there is no YQ then are...
CI
AR (?)
FM (or same as MU, YQ on FM?)
OK (but doesn't DL charge YQ for OK?)
VN (but I thought DL also charges YQ for VN?)
SV
AS
HA
...any other? And all these really no YQ (yet)?
Old Aug 31, 2012, 5:46 am

Great, thanks.

So then airlines for which there is no YQ then are...
CI
AR (?)
FM (or same as MU, YQ on FM?)
OK (but doesn't DL charge YQ for OK?)
VN (but I thought DL also charges YQ for VN?)
SV
AS
HA
...any other? And all these really no YQ (yet)?
I'd read that list mostly as a list of we're not sure because of no reports. AS routes are all North America, so they should be surcharge free. AR doesn't charge fuel surcharges (they use embedded Q surcharges) likely because of some South American countries' stances on them. I'm confident that it will be charged on SV. AF/KL/AZ are free of surcharges as long as travel originates outside of Europe and the Middle East. (Recall that North Africa is part of Europe for DL as well.)
Old Aug 31, 2012, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'd read that list mostly as a list of we're not sure because of no reports. AS routes are all North America, so they should be surcharge free. AR doesn't charge fuel surcharges (they use embedded Q surcharges) likely because of some South American countries' stances on them. I'm confident that it will be charged on SV. AF/KL/AZ are free of surcharges as long as travel originates outside of Europe and the Middle East. (Recall that North Africa is part of Europe for DL as well.)
I booked an award on SV and there was no YQ. Even on AF there is no YQ for SV metal.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 11:35 am

I booked an award on SV and there was no YQ. Even on AF there is no YQ for SV metal.
Oooh. I'm glad to be wrong on this one. Looks like they're in the embedded Q-surcharge like AR. I could swear that I'd looked at some of their revenue fares before and seen fuel surcharges, but apparently not. I know a lot of people aren't excited about flying SV, but they do have great award availability. If only the connections were more reasonable to India. There's no way I'd want to spend 10 hours in the airport at RUH.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 12:22 pm

Oooh. I'm glad to be wrong on this one. Looks like they're in the embedded Q-surcharge like AR. I could swear that I'd looked at some of their revenue fares before and seen fuel surcharges, but apparently not. I know a lot of people aren't excited about flying SV, but they do have great award availability. If only the connections were more reasonable to India. There's no way I'd want to spend 10 hours in the airport at RUH.
SV doesn't do what Qatar Airways does and give such long layover connecting pax free (even if just during daytime) hotel room, meals, transportion to and from there, visa/fee free entry, etc.? (One big reason for travelling via DOH on Qatar Airways, essentially getting a free Doha tour/brief stopover.)
Old Aug 31, 2012, 12:28 pm

SV doesn't do what Qatar Airways does and give such long layover connecting pax free (even if just during daytime) hotel room, meals, transportion to and from there, visa/fee free entry, etc.? (One big reason for travelling via DOH on Qatar Airways, essentially getting a free Doha tour/brief stopover.)
KSA grant someone visa-free entry? Surely you jest.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Does QR do this only if the next available flight is much latter? How long should the transit be to get this?
Old Aug 31, 2012, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you have a GCC passport I think you don't need a visa.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 4:54 pm

In some countries the local flag carrier is allowed to bring pax in, on a temporary basis (e.g. due to long connection in excess of X hours, but not over 24 or 48 hours or what not), without any visas. They simply retain the passports and don't return it to you until you return to the airport. I believe that the airline then is responsible to the country's boarder patrol or what not to bring any people they bring in, out within X hours, and would face stiff penalties if they don't (i.e. they take on the responsibility). Sort of like in China 24-48 hour TWOV, but less formal, with no stamps or nothing, that the airline arranges for the passenger. I thought that may be Saudia also has that worked out with the KSA, being the flag carrier and all (I wouldn't expect any other airline to do it, just the country's flag carrier).
Old Aug 31, 2012, 4:57 pm

Does QR do this only if the next available flight is much latter? How long should the transit be to get this?
When I was flying KTH-DOH-LHR, I had originally a 2 or 3 hour connection, but I changed (at no charge) at check-in in KTH from a 2.x hour connection to about a 10 hour connection to get a day to explore Doha. Much to my surprise, I was quickly brought in (past the normal immigration channels, just with my passport retained - no stamp in it or anything, even though visa would have been required) and given a rather nice Sofitel day-use room (right in downtown Doha, not just by the airport) with lunch and dinner vouchers. That was flying economy on a fare that was likely less than the Sofitel room would cost for one night.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 7:20 pm

In some countries the local flag carrier is allowed to bring pax in, on a temporary basis (e.g. due to long connection in excess of X hours, but not over 24 or 48 hours or what not), without any visas. They simply retain the passports and don't return it to you until you return to the airport. I believe that the airline then is responsible to the country's boarder patrol or what not to bring any people they bring in, out within X hours, and would face stiff penalties if they don't (i.e. they take on the responsibility). Sort of like in China 24-48 hour TWOV, but less formal, with no stamps or nothing, that the airline arranges for the passenger. I thought that may be Saudia also has that worked out with the KSA, being the flag carrier and all (I wouldn't expect any other airline to do it, just the country's flag carrier).
TIMATIC reports

Visa required, except for Holders of onward tickets for a max.
transit time of 18 hours when inbound flight is operated by Saudi Arabian Airlines; or Visa required, except for Holders of onward tickets for a max.
transit time of 8 hours when inbound flight is not operated by Saudi Arabian Airlines.
- Only one transit stop-over in Saudi Arabia is permitted.
- Except when flying on Saudi Arabian Airlines, where a
second transit point is permitted.
It then defines transit:

Unless stated otherwise, passengers wishing to TWOV must:
- be en-route to a third country (e.g. itinerary TYO-LON-TYO

is not considered TWOV);
- prove that they will continue their journey within the

prescribed period (e.g. hold onward tickets);

- have documents required for entry into the country of
destination and for transit through countries en-route;

- remain in the transit area (airside) or on the aircraft.
Thus, it is not clear if you could actually leave the airport without a transit visa.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.