Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Celebrity Sightings on DL Flights

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2018, 11:47 am

Programs: DL FO, KM, & 1.7MM; UA nothing; HH♦; National EE
Originally Posted by koreanair720
Ridiculous. Being a semi-famous character actor let's you skip the line??
I'd let Morpheus skip the line in front of me.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 10:25 pm

Programs: DL Charter DM/DM/2MM, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
I have no idea who Lawrence Fishburne is, and while perhaps frustrating at the appearance of a celebrity or semi-celebrity getting preferential treatment, my guess is that celebs cutting the line is as much about keeping the regular lines moving as it is for the benefit of these celebs. If the celebs are in the normal line, then the line for everyone possibly gets held up as those around the celeb become more focused on trying to take pictures and selfies and engage in conversation versus moving through the security line.
I can't believe that you've never heard of Lawrence Fishburne! You must either be a teenager or from another planet!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laurence_Fishburne
Old Jul 17, 2018, 10:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
Originally Posted by audidudi
I can't believe that you've never heard of Lawrence Fishburne! You must either be a teenager or from another planet!

As others have commented, when a poster has to explain who the B, C, D list, etc. "celebrity" is flying DL, does the person really qualify as a "celebrity"? Not the case w/ Mr Fishburne or the Clintons, but many posts do seem to confirm the notion that if you or another has to explain why they're famous, then in fact, said person really isn't famous?
Old Jul 18, 2018, 1:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by audidudi

Upon seeeing his picture I immediately recognized him as “Morpheus”, partially due to the Morpheus memes, but never knew his name. I was a teen at the time of that movie franchise, but I was never into the Matrix series, so other than Keanu Reeves I can’t say I could name any of the actors in the movie series or their role. I think I’ve only seen the first movie once and neither of the sequels.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 1:22 am

Programs: Skymiles
Does anyone approach celebs on planes or just leave them alone?
Old Jul 18, 2018, 2:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by SRB9311
Most people I see, including me, leave them alone.
strickerj likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 6:12 am

Programs: Delta Plat, one-time United Plat, Amex Plat, Marriott Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, Bus Pass
I once sat in front of one-time "celebrity" Greg Oden. I subtly passed him my BP and asked him to sign it. (Sorry! I was young!!)

I'm not sure what happened to that BP. But given what happened with Oden's career, not so much of a loss...
Old Jul 18, 2018, 6:17 am

Programs: DA Diamond(1 MM), Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador/Charter Ambassador, Hyatt Glob, Hertz Presidents Circle
Funny/ironic story: a few years ago I was flying from SLC to SNA and was in first class. I sit down and who plops down next to me but Marie Osmond. Having lived in SoCal for many years, I had seen my share of celebs but had never engaged. I decided to follow the same protocol here, but she began to talk to me! She could .not have been any more pleasant. She asked if i was going home or to work. We chatted the ENTIRE flight. It was really cool. She was headed to the area for a commercial shoot for Nutra System. Again, she is one of the nicest people i have ever met.

Sad part is that when I went in to my office in Irvine, none of the younger team members had a clue who she was. I have never felt so old in my life. When I showed them her Dancing With The Stars pic, that gave her some street cred with the youngens.
stormlover and SRB9311 like this.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 6:23 am

Programs: DL SM, DL Amex Plat, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Hardly semi famous. Also most likely is paying for the service.
Yes, I figured VIP Select. I certainly wasn't about to complain. It wasn't a long line, but had he gone to the back he would have been right at the juncture of where regular screening and precheck diverged.

Originally Posted by CHOPCHOP767
As others have commented, when a poster has to explain who the B, C, D list, etc. "celebrity" is flying DL, does the person really qualify as a "celebrity"? Not the case w/ Mr Fishburne or the Clintons, but many posts do seem to confirm the notion that if you or another has to explain why they're famous, then in fact, said person really isn't famous?
I'm surprised more people don't know him - I immediately muttered under my breath "That's Laurence Fishburne!", recognizing him from The Matrix and Blackish. He was, amusingly enough, wearing a Blackish Season One -branded backpack. Didn't cause any commotion whatsoever.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Most people I see, including me, leave them alone.
Yep, other than a hi if they are a seatmate. In my recent one, like the Marie Osmond story below, Charlie Weis started talking to me.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 10:58 am

Programs: Retired. Amtrak, DL (2MM, Signed up for DL FF program 2nd day offered 8/81), Marriott, Hilton
About 15 years ago, I was eating lunch in Terminal T in Atlanta. I look across the hall, and who is sitting by himself in an open gate area, was Willard Scott, of Today Show fame. Again, all by himself, and maybe after 5 minutes, people started coming up to him, to say hello. He was very cordial, (as you might expect from Willard), to everybody who came up to him. No selfies, as they were no smartphones back then.

Just pure coincidence, I got up to leave the restaurant, at the same time he got up to leave where he was sitting. We passed each other, and I did shout out, "Hey Willard!" He shouted out "Hey" back. I saw him then go to the gate area where flights for LGA were boarding, and the next morning, he indeed was on the Today Show from NYC.

As a sideline, this is the third time I ran into Willard. And did you know, he created, and was the original Ronald McDonald???
Old Jul 18, 2018, 11:42 am

Programs: DL Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Caesars Diamond, K Fund
There is a very finite list of people that everyone would know. I'm 29 and someone who would be immediately recognizable to my age range someone who is 50+ will have no idea. Shoot, even think about athletes. I'm sure there are people on these forums who would need explained who LeBron James or Lionel Messi is.

With that said, last December Bill Clinton was at DCA and I snuck down and got a photo with him at the convenience store across from Grille District.
strickerj likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 5:26 pm

Programs: DA Diamond(1 MM), Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador/Charter Ambassador, Hyatt Glob, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by DCFinanceinFlight
There is a very finite list of people that everyone would know. I'm 29 and someone who would be immediately recognizable to my age range someone who is 50+ will have no idea. Shoot, even think about athletes. I'm sure there are people on these forums who would need explained who LeBron James or Lionel Messi is.

With that said, last December Bill Clinton was at DCA and I snuck down and got a photo with him at the convenience store across from Grille District.
Keeping politics out of it: a former VP of mine had the chance to meet him about 7 years ago. She said he was the most engaging human being she had ever met. Her quote was "for those 2 minutes, my husband I were literally the only two people on the planet that he cared about." That kind of thing is a gift to be able to pull of.
stormlover likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 7:08 pm

Programs: DL PM / 1MM "Enhancee" (Frequent Flyer) Since 1990
I think you'll find large differences between millenials and the knowledge of many celebs. For instance many classic actors have long since passed away - Robert Mitchum, George Peppard, Gregory Peck, Burt Lancaster, Robert Shaw, Johnny Carson, Charlton Heston, Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin - etc. We all live through our personal slice of time - and we are somewhat oblvious to what goes on around us

Today celebs are people like the Karshashians, rappers, Tom Brady, Daniel Craig,U2, or the Simpsons. They too will pass on to reveal the next batch of actors and stars...

Last edited by heckler; Jul 18, 2018 at 7:16 pm
Old Jul 18, 2018, 7:48 pm

Programs: Delta DM, United Gold, American Gold, Hilton Gold
I think this is the FF equivalent of "get off my lawn". Celebrity is pretty generational specific and/or taste specific.

I could not give a crap about many people who the younger people think are celebrities nor they mine. Just because you don't know who the person is means nothing.

I think we can all agree if someone says "local celebrity" not a celebrity.
strickerj and jinglish like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.