Old Mar 10, 2018, 2:50 pm

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Hertz PC
Chrissy Metz (Kate Pearson) from This Is Us in in the Sky Club @MSP
Old Mar 11, 2018, 10:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
Oh lord, that was a big sighting
I am going to ignore the too-obvious POS joke.

Over the years I have encountered Dr. J., Joe Frazier, Pete Rose, Dusty Roads (for you folks from Georgia), Richard Simmons (yes, in his workout clothes), Sean Connery (wait... that was on Amtrak ), Shaq, and David Crosby. I missed the trip when my work team spent some time in the Crown Room with George Burns.

Either I am getting too old or the bar for celebrity has been somewhat lowered over the years.

Most of the names posted here I have to Google.

These days, if they are a true celebrity, why are they not on a private jet.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 11:27 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
Sean Connery (wait... that was on Amtrak )
Aw, I wanted to hear a story about him beating out Alex Trebek for the upgrade
Old Mar 16, 2018, 6:26 am

Programs: Delta DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite, Hyatt Globalist
Had George Lopez on our flight (4804) from L.A. to Boise last night (3/15/2018). Me and my husband were in 1C and 1D and he was in 2D. We might not have been able to turn down grabbing a selfie with him, especially since he offered. It was an interesting flight since we had a medical emergency about halfway through the flight and a good amount of turbulence.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 6:32 am

Programs: DL FO, KM, & 1.7MM; UA nothing; HH♦; National EE
Originally Posted by bcosinteno
...It was an interesting flight since we had a medical emergency about halfway through the flight...
Most people having a medical emergency don't just call it interesting. Did you/husband have a medical emergency, or did another passenger have a medical emergency?
Old Mar 16, 2018, 6:41 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Are you a native english speaker? Because that's a perfectly cromulent use of "interesting" even though a lot of people seem to think it's limited to uses where it essentially means "entertaining".
MS02113, sky303 and levilevi like this.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 6:43 am

Programs: Delta DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Howste
Most people having a medical emergency don't just call it interesting. Did you/husband have a medical emergency, or did another passenger have a medical emergency?
Another passenger. And my husband, who used to be a paramedic, rendered care until we landed. And I'm not sure how interesting wouldn't be an appropriate use of wording.
sky303 likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 6:55 am

Programs: Non-Affiliated
Originally Posted by pvn
Are you a native english speaker? Because that's a perfectly cromulent use of "interesting" even though a lot of people seem to think it's limited to uses where it essentially means "entertaining".
Your use of the word cromulent embiggens my noble spirit.
mikeef, In2ishn, daloosh and 3 others like this.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 7:07 am

arousing curiosity or interest; holding or catching the attention
If I had a heart attack on a flight I would probably use "scary" or "terrifying" to describe it. If someone else that I don't know had a heart attack I might use "disturbing" or something showing some level of discomfort. If I watch a good movie on a flight that would be interesting. But, I can't argue that it's not cromulent for the situation.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
If I had a heart attack on a flight I would probably use "scary" or "terrifying" to describe it. If someone else that I don't know had a heart attack I might use "disturbing" or something showing some level of discomfort. If I watch a good movie on a flight that would be interesting. But, I can't argue that it's not cromulent for the situation.
The OP and husband were not the ones who had the emergency, and again the use of "interesting" was used properly. It was an interesting flight because of meeting Goerge Lopez, the rough air, and the Medical Emergency. Granted if the OP or husband was having a medical emergency, then I highly doubt they would have used the work interesting.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 11:26 am

It was an interesting flight because of meeting Goerge Lopez, the rough air, and the Medical Emergency.
But the interesting part in the OP wasn't all three:
Originally Posted by bcosinteno
...It was an interesting flight since we had a medical emergency... and a good amount of turbulence
Granted if the OP or husband was having a medical emergency, then I highly doubt they would have used the work interesting.
That was my original point. It sounded to me like the OP and husband (we) had a medical emergency but spoke very casually about it. Sorry I took the thread off topic.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 12:50 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
That was my original point. It sounded to me like the OP and husband (we) had a medical emergency but spoke very casually about it. Sorry I took the thread off topic.
IMO it seemed more likely that "we" was collective and referring to the entire plane, then specifically that they were being cavalier about a personal medical emergency.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by Zorak
IMO it seemed more likely that "we" was collective and referring to the entire plane, then specifically that they were being cavalier about a personal medical emergency.
"Interesting" simply means something noteworthy that is outside of the norm. Could be good or bad. I think it was used properly. Also, a cavalier attitude about medical emergencies and death, including your own (before death not after death obviously) or immediate family members, is perfectly normal depending on what part of the country you come from.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 11:50 pm

Words can be used in non-literal ways, especially in non-formal American English. The use of "interesting" here reminds me of the many times people might see something odd and say "That's funny..." meaning unusual not amusing.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 12:55 am

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Hertz PC
Well this thread always seems to turns interesting. From being bogged down sometimes when local or State (or any for that matter) politicians somehow being labeled as a "celebrity" to word usage lessons

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.