Celebrity Sightings on DL Flights

Old Sep 4, 2002, 8:13 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, DL MM
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by SkyTeam777:
Little Richie, ATL-LAX

</font>
I saw him on the LAX-ATL leg about 2 months ago, kept the shades on the whole flight, but was really nice to all the folks who stopped to chat and shake hands.
Old Sep 4, 2002, 8:53 pm

Programs: DL DM & 5MM, WN
Lots of big shots from my firm. whooops, I paid for their tickets!

Arie Lyundyke (sp?). Sat across the aisle with him in coach on NW a few years before he won at Indy.

George Steinbrenner on DL going somewhere in F.

Arvidas Sabonis on his first flight to Portland to join their team, wedged in to a window seat in F ATL-PDX.

Got his autograph years later out on Concouse E in ATL as the Lithuanian charter flew back from the Olympics.

Pat Riley sitting in the PDX old Crown Room when he coached the Lakers. He flew alone, his team had left the night before. Why I know not.

An unknown Senator once who they stuffed back in Coach amidst some hubbub.
Old Sep 4, 2002, 9:07 pm

Once in the days when there were 3 classes on international aircraft, Kate Jackson (Charlie's Angels) was one of two people in first class. My family was in the first row of Medallion class and you had to pass through Medallion on the way to First. She comes through screaching "No autographs, no autographs" and people were like, "Who Was that?"

She screamed on take off and landing. She had the flight attendants running around like fools, completely ignoring the other first class passenger, who ended up being the wife of the Chairman of the Board of Delta. You should of seem them kissing up when they found out from another Medallion passenger who she was. They are like, "Oh, we didn't realize there was anyibne else up here. Would you like something to drink or eat??"

Also sat behind the singer Monica once - very gracious and ladylike.

Across from Congressman John Lewis in coach. You would have never thought he was anyone important. He was well dressed, quiet and in no way demanding like some politicos can be.

Met former LA Dodger Brett Butler in line at the Atlanta Airport. He was so nice and honored every autograph and photo request.
Old Sep 4, 2002, 9:07 pm

Several years ago, Whitney Houston and her entourage (3 or 4 people) on a flight from somewhere to CVG. They boarded last so I didn't see them, but I heard all the FAs talking about it. Later spotted them at an ice cream store in the airport--she was hard to miss, wearing a shiny jacket with "Whitney Houston" written across the back. That same week, I saw Roy Scheider waiting for a DL flight to Portland, ME.
I've often flown with Utah Congressmen between SLC/IAD.

This doesn't count as an authentic celebrity encounter, but in '95 or '96 I flew on the same DL plane that had transported the Pope to New York just a few days earlier. One of the FAs had been on the flight and told me all about it. The whole crew had been specially selected--all of them practicing Catholics.

Old Sep 4, 2002, 9:22 pm

A couple of "celeb" sightings on Delta over the years...

Muhammed Ali - SDF to ATL a couple days before Super Bowl XXXIV. He sat in the WebMD box.

Fred Durst from Limp Biskit. Rode with him in a Delta courtesy van between flights at ATL

Kent "Oz" Nelson - Retired UPS Chairman - Have been seated with him on several flights between ATL and IND

[This message has been edited by rick253990 (edited 09-04-2002).]
Old Sep 4, 2002, 9:31 pm

Location: ORF & AUS; I have an ex-wife and and an ex-house in both cities.
Programs: AA Gold, DL GM, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
My coolest one was when I saw jared from the Subway and his wife on a flight from IND-ATL. he sat in coach, ordered a Diet Coke and didn't eat his snack mix.

I was in F on a LAX-ATL with John Ramsey. He was about three rows ahead of me.

I saw David Bloom for NBC News in the T concorce once too.
Old Sep 4, 2002, 9:37 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by dbmaury:
My coolest one was when I saw jared from the Subway and his wife on a flight from IND-ATL. he sat in coach, ordered a Diet Coke and didn't eat his snack mix. </font>
Yeah - he wrote and complained that we didn't serve sandwiches on that flight
Old Sep 4, 2002, 9:37 pm
Original Member

Location: Los Angeles, CA - Nearly 4 Million Actual Miles Flown
All in the past 4 years and all sat next to me or in the seat across the aisle from me:

Former US vice president Dan Quayle IND-ATL,
Bruce "Jerk" Jenner (rude to everybody on flight), Jim Nabors, some guy who hosted a talk show on the Nashville Network (he's famous in BNA, but I can't remember his name and was unhappy that he was in the center seat next to me on a DL Shuttle aircraft ATL-BNA. DL had subbed the aircraft and downgraded all of us to coach from first, David Brenner, the kid who was the star of Terminator II and who the bad terminator was after, Shannon Sharpe (football player with his wife leaning over me while kissing him), Jerry Lewis, that guy who sang "Funky Cold Medina and Wild Thing" in the 80's, R&B singers "KC and Jo Jo", the singer Usher,
and a whole bunch of CEOs.

By the way, Shannon Sharpe didn't know how to use the tv on the Biz Elite flight I was on and so instead of saying to me, "Hi, can you show me how to use the tv?" , he grunted and pointed. I figured out what he wanted and helped.

I know I am missing a bunch, but I have one of my homes in LA and live near world famous celebrities so I see them all the time.
Old Sep 4, 2002, 9:50 pm

labor day 2001 atl-las: Jamie Foxx and Dikembe Motombo (+ his entire family)

late last year (atl - ???) - Bob Barr + family initially saw them at the CR, then boarding the same flight I was in (they sat all the way back)
Old Sep 4, 2002, 9:51 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Skymiles, Mileage Plus, BA Executive Club, WorldPerks
Glenn Close, a few years ago, JFK-SLC,
also Scott Glenn.
Old Sep 4, 2002, 9:54 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

--****--wish this was on the BA site, so I could tell the story of my encounter with George Harrison--his seat-mate had no idea who he was--Amusing 10 hrs from LAX to LHR--George, my favorite Beatle, could not have been nicer & blessed with a touch of humor,irony and humility.--

Edited to modify the bleeped-out word:
Sorry, meant to say "darn" at the beginning of my post. (what is up with that? Even Rhett Butler used the "D" word in Gone with the Wind.)
"Frankly, my dear, I don't give a ****."

[This message has been edited by obscure2k (edited 09-04-2002).]
Old Sep 4, 2002, 10:20 pm

Location: Laguna Beach, CA; Former DL everything, now AA/AS everything; SPG Plat; Marriott Plat; and all that other stuff!!
Lots of fun...sat next to Suzanne Summers; Jane Pauley; 'Gomer Pyle'; Oran Hatch; Kenny G; Bob Stewart(Kingston Trio) and others.
But the most memorable was the Senator from Georgia who is a Vietnam Vet/triple amputee. He pulled himself into the bulkhead seat next to me, wiggled his stumps and said "Lots of leg room". I'll never forget it!!
Old Sep 4, 2002, 10:29 pm
Suspended

A few years ago I flew BE to BRU with Papa Roach. It was kind of scary getting on the plane, they didn't really look too ready to communicate with anyone. It was a 767-300ER, so every freaking kid that walked by had to stop and ask for an autograph. The little hellions drank about a gallon of mimosas each, then slept the whole flight. Somewhere over London the big fat guy got up, brushed his teeth, and walked back to his seat with the toothbrush still in his mouth.
Old Sep 4, 2002, 10:30 pm

Location: DC ... NW Plat Elite, Hilton HHonors-Diamond, Hyatt-Diamond, Avis PS+, happily a _former_ DL PM
Ozzie Smith on a flight from ATL-STL. Was quiet and politely signed a baseball the captain had left with the FA. She asked quietly after the boarding was finished and everyone else in F left him alone ... must'be been a bunch of Braves fans. I didn't want to be rude and hassle him for an autograph for myself ... Ok - I wanted to, but I hate being the "me too" copycat.
Old Sep 4, 2002, 11:03 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Quote:
"But the most memorable was the Senator from Georgia who is a Vietnam Vet/triple amputee."

Max Cleland?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.