Celebrity Sightings on DL Flights

Old Mar 19, 2004, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by CVG's DL Hostage:
Alice Cooper from LAX-SYD sometime in 1997. Nick Nolte SYD-LAX the same time frame.</font>
That was before my time with Delta. When did they stop the SYD flights? Why?

Old Aug 23, 2004, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Spotted Dr. John in Concourse A Mens Room Friday morning 8/20/04. He had on a blue straw hat and was carrying a carved cane that trailed feathers and beads strung on leather strips.

So far, no one I've mentioned it to knew who I was talking about.
Old Aug 23, 2004, 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by BamaVol
Spotted Dr. John in Concourse A Mens Room Friday morning 8/20/04. He had on a blue straw hat and was carrying a carved cane that trailed feathers and beads strung on leather strips.

So far, no one I've mentioned it to knew who I was talking about.
I do. I've spotted him a couple of times in Manahattan and received stares of bewilderment upon pointing him out. But whatever. I went to college in New Orleans and they didn't. So there.
Old Aug 23, 2004, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Silver
Orlando - the new celebrity sightings hub

On a round from and to MCO - ATL a couple of weeks ago, I had a celeb each way. On the way out, sitting in 1st class was WWE wrestler Billy Gunn. Yes, I had to ask a 12 year old in the gate area who he was. Funny, I guess he is supposed to be one of the bad guys. He was quiet and polite and quite gracious. He must have signed a couple dozen autographs and had another dozen pictures taken in the gate area. Drank ice water on the trip. Couldn't see what book he was reading, but it was hard cover and looked not to have any pictures or big print.

On the way back, we had Lee Corso of ESPN game day. He was back in coach, so I did not see him interact. On the monorail, he was very nice. I think he lives in the area, if I remember correctly.

Guess I am flying out of the wrong airport for celeb sightings.
Old Aug 23, 2004, 3:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Terry Bradshaw on a DL flight from DFW-LAX a couple of months ago, in F, across the aisle.

Elijah Wood, in the VS U/C suite next to me, LHR-LAX back in March. Didn't talk much, but I did beat him in a friendly game of chess on the AVOD system. (Not DL, I know, but still...)
Old Aug 23, 2004, 3:57 pm

Programs: DL PM / 1MM "Enhancee" (Frequent Flyer) Since 1990
For all you politicos, a few years back I had Jack Kemp on my flight and at a later date had Ret. Gen Brent Scowcroft checking into the "F" line at DCA to get on my flight.. I was a lowly SM then and sitting in "F" was a mere pipe dream!
Old Aug 23, 2004, 4:02 pm

Just flew home from the Olympics on Friday, DL 133 ATH-JFK and spotted Harry Smith of the CBS Morning News in front......spotted him again at the luggage carousel and he apparently was with his two sons....seems his wife is a commentator also and I assume she is covering the Olympic events.

My husband has many more celeb sightings on DL than I do.....including James Carville and Terry Bradshaw (both several times), Evander Holyfield (on an ATL flight), Valerie Harper (DL shuttle LGA-BOS), Mike Eruzione (Shuttle BOS-LGA) and the infamous Tyra Banks sighting (MCO-ATL)....also Chelsea Clinton several times on AA in NYC.
Old Aug 23, 2004, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by pbiflyer
On the way back, we had Lee Corso of ESPN game day. He was back in coach
Very appropriate. Coach Corso sat in coach.
Old Aug 23, 2004, 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by indufan
That was before my time with Delta. When did they stop the SYD flights? Why?
Not DL. UA.

On DL I've seen an assortment of political figures, sports stars, etc. Nothing like watching an officeholder pounding drinks in the CRC to inspire confidence.

Last edited by CVG's DL Hostage; Aug 24, 2004 at 8:05 am
Old Aug 23, 2004, 5:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Oh! I can't believe I forgot... Whitney Houston, Bobby Brown, and a bunch of producers from Gatwick to Atlanta at the end of May after finishing shooting their London segment of a "reality" series that VH1 was supposed to be airing at some point...

Apparently the hoi polloi learned of her presence during the flight, and as I looked back into the Y cabin after we'd landed, literally every aisle passenger was leaning into the aisle trying to see if they could see her...
Old Aug 24, 2004, 2:18 am

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Plat, SPG Gold
Back in mid-May, I was on a flight from ATL to CDG. I boarded, and there was already a gentleman dressed in a suit sitting in the seat next to mine in the back row of J. As I sat down, I noticed he had a microphone clipped to his watch, and he was fiddling with a diplomatic passport... how odd!

Well it turns out that Jimmy Carter and his wife were sitting directly in front of me! One of his secret service agents was sitting next to me. Another agent and what appeared to be his personal assistant were stuck back in Y

Despite what one may think of his politics, he was a very nice guy, and took the time to go up and down both rows of the entire plane, J and Y, and shake everyone's hand and say hello to everyone on board!
Old Aug 24, 2004, 4:55 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus, Hilton Honors
James Carville

Originally Posted by flyerwife
Just flew home from the Olympics on Friday, DL 133 ATH-JFK and spotted Harry Smith of the CBS Morning News in front......spotted him again at the luggage carousel and he apparently was with his two sons....seems his wife is a commentator also and I assume she is covering the Olympic events.

My husband has many more celeb sightings on DL than I do.....including James Carville and Terry Bradshaw (both several times), Evander Holyfield (on an ATL flight), Valerie Harper (DL shuttle LGA-BOS), Mike Eruzione (Shuttle BOS-LGA) and the infamous Tyra Banks sighting (MCO-ATL)....also Chelsea Clinton several times on AA in NYC.
I have been on several DL flights with the Ragin' Cajun. Given his obnoxious behavior on TV towards anyone he disagrees with, I have absolutely no interest in talking with him.

Years ago, the entire Celtic team was on a Delta flight. Larry Bird, Kevin McHale, Robert Parrish. I stood behind them getting a snack before the flight. Unless you stand next these people, you don't realize how huge they are.
Old Aug 24, 2004, 4:55 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus, Hilton Honors
James Carville

Originally Posted by flyerwife

I have been on several DL flights with the Ragin' Cajun. Given his obnoxious behavior on TV towards anyone he disagrees with, I have absolutely no interest in talking with him.

Years ago, the entire Celtic team was on a Delta flight. Larry Bird, Kevin McHale, Robert Parrish. I stood behind them getting a snack before the flight. Unless you stand next these people, you don't realize how huge they are.
Old Aug 24, 2004, 6:54 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by DrBeeper
I once thought the same thing but then he and his wife, Mary Matlin, gave a talk to a group of foodservice executives last year. Knowing full well that 90+% of us were to the right of Rush Limbaugh, Carville proceeded to discuss everything BUT politics. I found him to be extremely witty and one of the most interesting speakers to which I'd ever listened.
I've got to believe that 98% of his huffing and puffing is for show as when he's not in front of a TV camera he can be a truly charming person.
Old Aug 24, 2004, 7:33 am

Programs: DL PM, .6MM; AA Plat; Marriott Platinum Premier
I've seen Evander Holyfield (sat across aisle from him in F), George Foreman (on a crappy 57 w/ no F, hehehe), and Dikembe Mutumbo on DL flights. Can't think of anybody else at the moment.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.