New planes trains are coming to ATL

Old Apr 19, 2024, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
New planes trains are coming to ATL

https://www.axios.com/local/atlanta/...-coming-to-atl

New planes trains are coming to ATL. Soon it will be replaced by the older trains. What do you think of this??
K7Beach likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2024, 4:35 am

Programs: Delta DM, United Silver, Marriott LT Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by N830MH
https://www.axios.com/local/atlanta/...-coming-to-atl

New planes trains are coming to ATL. Soon it will be replaced by the older trains. What do you think of this??
Not much information in that article.

The current PlaneTrain works just fine for me.
Old Apr 20, 2024, 7:01 am

Programs: Delta, Hilton, Hertz
agree trains work fine for me. Unless they are having increasing reliability issues with them. Then it makes sense. All my trips start/end in ATL. Typically I'll get to the airport early enough to have plenty of time to skip the train and walk. I'd like to see them improve the walking experience between concourses. The forest art exhibit is a cool concept. Though it needs some maintenance. But I'd love to see them do something like that but different on each of the other passages. The current art exhibits they have are weak.
Old Apr 20, 2024, 7:34 am

Programs: DL PM, Hilton Gold
ATL based and never had a problem or concern even with the current plane trains, but I don't oppose upgrades either. Would be interested to see what changes with the new models. Maybe more elderly/handicap seating?
Old Apr 20, 2024, 7:57 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles

Programs: DL (duh), AA 1MM, Bonvoy Titanium, HH Diamond
There's no news here... I think this is just a continuation of the tunnel extension car procurement and perhaps some replacement of a few of the oldest cars.

Edited to add: This actually hasn't even passed. It only went through the 1st reading and is scheduled for the 2nd reading in the Transportation Committee on 4/24/24.

Text of the resolution:
AN ORDINANCE BY TRANSPORTATION COMMITTEE AUTHORIZING THE CITY OF ATLANTA TO WAIVE THE COMPETITIVE PROCUREMENT SOURCE SELECTION PROVISIONS CONTAINED IN SECTION 2-1187 OF ARTICLE X PROCUREMENT AND REAL ESTATE CODE OF THE CITY OF ATLANTA CODE OF ORDINANCES, AS WELL AS ANY OTHER CONFLICTING CODE PROVISIONS, ON BEHALF OF THE DEPARTMENT OF AVIATION, TO RATIFY SERVICES RENDERED IN CONNECTION TO AGREEMENT FC-10751, PLANE TRAIN TUNNEL WEST EXTENSION-VEHICLES AT HARTSFIELD-JACKSON ATLANTA INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT, WITH ALSTOM TRANSPORT USA, INC., (“FORMERLY BOMBARDIER TRANSPORTATION HOLDINGS USA, INC.”), BEGINNING FEBRUARY 06, 2024, AND TO EXTEND THE TERM OF THE AGREEMENT FOR FIVE (5) YEARS FROM FEBRUARY 06, 2024 THROUGH DECEMBER 05, 2029, WITH A SINGLE TWO (2) YEAR RENEWAL OPTION; AND PARTIALLY FUND THE NEXT PHASE FOR THE DESIGN AND PURCHASE OF 29 NEW PLANE TRAIN VEHICLES FOR AN INITIAL AMOUNT NOT TO EXCEED EIGHT MILLION SIX HUNDRED NINETY-NINE THOUSAND SIX HUNDRED SEVENTY-FIVE DOLLARS AND ZERO CENTS ($8,699,675.00); ALL SERVICES WILL BE CHARGED TO AND PAID FROM THE ACCOUNT NUMBERS LISTED HEREIN; AND FOR OTHER PURPOSES.

Last edited by emma dog; Apr 20, 2024 at 8:15 am
Old Apr 20, 2024, 10:28 am

A train from landside INTL to landside DOM would be appreciated, but likely the cost likely outweighs the benefits for the amount of passengers it would garner.
micstatic likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2024, 10:34 am

Originally Posted by xooz
A train from landside INTL to landside DOM would be appreciated, but likely the cost likely outweighs the benefits for the amount of passengers it would garner.
International arrivals (and pre-clearance passengers with checked luggage) now requires both a separate bus and train to rent a car. There used to be one express bus from car rental to/from international pre-Covid.
Old Apr 20, 2024, 11:09 am

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Prfrence
29 cars for $8,600,000. That comes out to $296,551.72 per car.

These are four car trains, so they are buying 7 new train sets plus one spare unit.

It would be useful to know when the cars currently in use were placed in operation, and how much it costs the city to maintain its current fleet.

The linked The Points Guy article referred to in the Axios article fills in details about The Plane Train.

Going underground with the Atlanta airport’s Plane Train - The Points Guy

This article points out that the system is currently being lengthened, and will require 15 trains to be in operation (rather than the current 11). So there is a need for new rolling stock. Also, the article points out that each unit weights 37,000 pounds, 6,000 more than a CR2 (an apt comparison, because both are/were manufactured by Bombardier).

Last edited by ND76; Apr 20, 2024 at 11:22 am
Old Apr 20, 2024, 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by ND76
29 cars for $8,600,000. That comes out to $296,551.72 per car.

These are four car trains, so they are buying 7 new train sets plus one spare unit.

It would be useful to know when the cars currently in use were placed in operation, and how much it costs the city to maintain its current fleet.

The linked The Points Guy article referred to in the Axios article fills in details about The Plane Train.

Going underground with the Atlanta airport’s Plane Train - The Points Guy
This is just the initial payment in a contract. The total price will be far more than $8m.

The current train stock dates as far back as 2001, with cars as recent as 2021. (Source for 2021: AJC) ATL spent $58M in 2019 for 14 additional cars, so $4.2M a piece.

The 2022 ATL Annual report says they have 59 vehicles currently. 44 vehicles are currently running during the day in 11 trains. 15 are in maintenance or storage. The ATL Airport Annual report doesn't describe maintenance cost for the plane train.

Based on this article, I'm led to believe that the ordinance described in Axios above is for the additional rolling stock needed to fully operationalize the system with the extension.
ND76 likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2024, 8:11 am

Now I am curious, how do they get the trains into the system? Is there a place where they can open up and crane a car on to the tracks?

Last edited by pfreet; Apr 21, 2024 at 8:11 am Reason: punctuation
Old Apr 21, 2024, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by pfreet
Now I am curious, how do they get the trains into the system? Is there a place where they can open up and crane a car on to the tracks?
There is a track switch and maintenance shed between concourses E and F. It would make sense for them to be loaded there.
Old Apr 21, 2024, 2:42 pm

Because I'm bored today, I've been searching the ends of the internet to look up maintenance costs, etc. The Atlanta City Auditor released a report in August 23 (Plane Train - August 2023) with some interesting factoids:

There is a $22M contractual arrangement for operation of the plane train, that includes overall performance incentives, maintenance requirements, and employees to run it. The current contract is available here: https://aimewebapp.blob.core.windows...ns/20r3915.pdf. The airlines reimburse the Atlanta Transport Authority 100% of the annual operations and maintenance expenses that are charged by Alstom (who purchased Bombardier).
Old Apr 21, 2024, 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by dmac7273
ATL based and never had a problem or concern even with the current plane trains, but I don't oppose upgrades either. Would be interested to see what changes with the new models. Maybe more elderly/handicap seating?

youre lucky. I was on one train where we called the emergency number because after it stopped at A, B and C without the doors opening, we got a little nervous. They met us at D and forced the doors open. I walked back to B

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.