Revised boarding order launching 5/1

Old Apr 9, 2024, 9:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM
Revised boarding order launching 5/1

I saw this posted on twitter. It looks like Delta is revising boarding order starting on 5/1 to use only numbers instead of the current system with D1/FC, C+, Sky, Main 1, etc.

Delta 360 moves to pre-board and D1/First through Sky Priority get rebranded with a zone number instead of marketing lingo.

Old Apr 9, 2024, 9:26 am

Programs: DL 2MM, AA ExPlat, UA S, HH S, MR LT Titanium, National Exec
Originally Posted by dorourke08
I saw this posted on twitter. It looks like Delta is revising boarding order starting on 5/1 to use only numbers instead of the current system with D1/FC, C+, Sky, Main 1, etc. https://x.com/_zachgriff/status/1777...341173801?s=42

Delta 360 moves to pre-board and D1/First through Sky Priority get rebranded with a zone number instead of marketing lingo.

all those poor DM's that have to board with the folks in Premium
Old Apr 9, 2024, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Keep it simple with numbers, and enforce it. All airlines should do this. And if you violate this, the Wonka bad egg trap door should open and send you to the incinerator. Watch how quickly that boarding will become civilized.
Old Apr 9, 2024, 9:51 am

I wonder if they are considering sunsetting the Sky Priority branding.
K7Beach likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2024, 9:55 am

Doesnt Amex promote Main Cabin 1 priority boarding? Could be confused with Zone 1.
DrMilano and strickerj like this.
Old Apr 9, 2024, 9:57 am

Programs: Delta Death March, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott/Hilton Gold Life
if you use your Apple Watch boarding barcode, you can board in any zone (at least after the top-2).
There's no color coding.
resolute likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2024, 10:00 am

Programs: Delta 360 and 2MM, Air Canada 25k, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Im glad Delta is finally matching Americans Concierge Key and Uniteds Global Service by letting Delta 360s pre-board.
trust77, DrMilano, mr_hoff and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 9, 2024, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by sc001
Im glad Delta is finally matching Americans Concierge Key and Uniteds Global Service by letting Delta 360s pre-board.
But UA also boards 1K first, and on a large jet, there can be 100 "preboards" before F, totally unacceptable. Glad DL isn't going that way with the DMs.
Old Apr 9, 2024, 10:27 am

Programs: Delta PM, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by wanderingtheearth
Isn't that actually SkyTeam branding? I've seen Air France use it. I doubt it gets removed.
hhdl likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2024, 10:34 am

Programs: DL DM; HH gold
It's doubtful it will go away entirely since it's Skyteam-wide (DL was actually the one pushing it on the rest of ST), but in the DL ecosystem it for sure has been downgraded - aside from check-in lines (and maybe the odd security line) there is very little value left in SP, and clearly zone 4 would not resonate with anyone as "priority".

DMs with PS is slightly annoying but not the end of the world.
Old Apr 9, 2024, 10:40 am

Programs: DL PM, Hilton Diamond
I think this is a good idea. Part of the gate crowding issue is infrequent flyers thinking Main Cabin 1 means they're first to board (i.e. focusing on the "1"), when they are actually in the fifth boarding group. If you see "5" on your boarding pass, you have a better understanding of the process.

Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
Doesnt Amex promote Main Cabin 1 priority boarding? Could be confused with Zone 1.
I'm sure they will change the marketing, though I always assumed Delta didn't have the numbering (that they're now moving to) precisely because they didn't want to tell people that the "priority" Amex card boarding is really zone 5. I'm glad the marketing team lost this battle.
cre95, 18sas, wrp96 and 7 others like this.
Old Apr 9, 2024, 10:41 am

Programs: DL 2MM/DM, Hilton LT Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriot Titanium
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
DL/AmEx have to update the marketing now to Zone 5, which does not appear so enticing as everyone wants to be 1st this daysbut now your 5th. Ouch.

I agree with you that cobranded infrequent flyers will be thrown off by this change, as the Zone 1 line will mostly be the majority of the waiting gate area.
Old Apr 9, 2024, 10:56 am

Originally Posted by woodenshoe101
It's doubtful it will go away entirely since it's Skyteam-wide (DL was actually the one pushing it on the rest of ST), but in the DL ecosystem it for sure has been downgraded - aside from check-in lines (and maybe the odd security line) there is very little value left in SP, and clearly zone 4 would not resonate with anyone as "priority".

DMs with PS is slightly annoying but not the end of the world.
Welp, I'm happy to have it if I'm in Main Cabin, but it does sound funny these days--"priority, but not TOO priority, those people over there go first."
Old Apr 9, 2024, 11:20 am

Programs: DL DM; HH gold
Welp, I'm happy to have it if I'm in Main Cabin, but it does sound funny these days--"priority, but not TOO priority, those people over there go first."
Oh, it definitely helps (overhead space comes to mind), but it is a far cry from the early SP days when it was F and then SP. I figure they thought numbers are easier as "Sky medium priority" doesn't roll off the tongue that well.
Old Apr 9, 2024, 11:21 am

Programs: Delta PM, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Ascii
I think this is a good idea. Part of the gate crowding issue is infrequent flyers thinking Main Cabin 1 means they're first to board (i.e. focusing on the "1"), when they are actually in the fifth boarding group. If you see "5" on your boarding pass, you have a better understanding of the process.
That makes a lot of sense and I'm also glad they're making the change. I do want to share though that the worst gate crowding issue I've ever experienced was on a recent AA flight, which already uses numbered boarding zones. I'm curious if that's a "people who fly AA" problem or if there's something else at play. Maybe people see 5 on their boarding pass, and get even more anxious about available overhead bin space?
ACCDraw likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.