Revised boarding order launching 5/1

Old Apr 23, 2024, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Gig103
I suspect you're being tongue in cheek, but if people who PREFER to check were given a no cost option from the start , then those that prefer to carry on wouldn't have as much issue. Look at Southwest! L
Here's what I actually do when flying Delta for business travel. My employer is willing to reimburse luggage fees so the fee is not a true issue. (For personal travel, I fly Southwest if I can make it work.)

So what it comes down to is personal convenience and the fact that I like to gamify travel. If I am traveling nonstop, I will usually wheel the bag down to the gate with me. And it is typical for them to offer free gate checks at SLC. If they don't end up gate checking rollerboards, then I carry it on and I am satisfied with the knowledge that I will not have to be delayed at my destination by waiting for the bag to come off. If they do offer free gate check, I take them up on it because I will then put my laptop bag in the overhead storage space, leaving more free space for me at my feet.

If there is a connection, I pay to check the bag before heading for the gate because I don't want to have to tow it around with me at the connecting airport. And I put my laptop bag in the overhead space so that I can have more leg room. Usually, I will wait to do this until I can verify that I can do that without depriving someone of space they need for their larger item.
Old Apr 23, 2024, 10:21 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles (DM), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium, LTP)
Originally Posted by amanuensis
Here's what I actually do when flying Delta for business travel. My employer is willing to reimburse luggage fees so the fee is not a true issue. (For personal travel, I fly Southwest if I can make it work.)

So what it comes down to is personal convenience and the fact that I like to gamify travel. If I am traveling nonstop, I will usually wheel the bag down to the gate with me. And it is typical for them to offer free gate checks at SLC. If they don't end up gate checking rollerboards, then I carry it on and I am satisfied with the knowledge that I will not have to be delayed at my destination by waiting for the bag to come off. If they do offer free gate check, I take them up on it because I will then put my laptop bag in the overhead storage space, leaving more free space for me at my feet.

If there is a connection, I pay to check the bag before heading for the gate because I don't want to have to tow it around with me at the connecting airport. And I put my laptop bag in the overhead space so that I can have more leg room. Usually, I will wait to do this until I can verify that I can do that without depriving someone of space they need for their larger item.
I may get rotten vegetables thrown at me virtually for saying this, but: personal items always belong under the seat in front of you, whether or not you've brought carry-on luggage on board. The overhead bins are for carry-on luggage. I wish the flight attendants would enforce this more consistently.
jhartvu, ACCDraw and hhdl like this.
Old Apr 23, 2024, 1:52 pm

Programs: AADULtArer
Originally Posted by chipbennett
I may get rotten vegetables thrown at me virtually for saying this, but: personal items always belong under the seat in front of you, whether or not you've brought carry-on luggage on board. The overhead bins are for carry-on luggage. I wish the flight attendants would enforce this more consistently.
Yeah, that gets a lot of sour grapes here, but I get it. The alternative GOOJF is to travel with a single item too large as a personal but small enough to always fit overhead. Im guilty of doing this, sometimes
AnaTFN and chipbennett like this.
Old Apr 23, 2024, 3:31 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by renfield90
Thanks for the feedback. I have one more flight booked with AA this year so we'll see, maybe that was a one off.

Going off topic but most of that flight sucked - my seat assignment that I paid for was arbitrarily changed by AA with no equipment change, we were late due to MX, no service due to "turbulence" that never materialized (I've never actually experienced that on any airline until now - ok, understanding that the FAs don't have their new contract yet, but still). I'm trying to be more of a free agent this year, but life on DL might be better than I thought.
This first flight I mentioned was LAS-PHX. Ok, leisure market, probably infrequent travelers, people grumpy or hungover on the way out of town, whatever.

My second flight with AA was even worse. SMF-PHX, 6am on a Monday morning, so probably lots of business travel, more regular fliers, etc. Gate lice 4-5 rows deep, almost could not get through. (As an aside, exemplary service in F, appreciated the consistent hard product compared to DL, if the service is like that more often than not I could see myself picking up more AA flights.)

I guess we'll see how it goes with DL after the change in May, but I really doubt AA fliers are much different than DL fliers? It's hard for me to believe numbered boarding zones reduce gate lice at this point.
Old Apr 23, 2024, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
I'd be happy if they'd sunset the ridiculous term "pre boarding."
Old Apr 23, 2024, 6:08 pm

If you are 360 and not D1 or F then you are doing something wrong. So I think F, D1 and MIlitary should be the same group.

Those needing assistance is such BS. At this point maybe they should board last once everyone else has settled. Maybe DL should keep a couple of mid section rows reserved for "handicapped". After all it's not WN. Ya got a seat assignment, just a matter of how many people you inconvenience to get there.
Lyaec350 likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2024, 6:27 pm

Programs: NW GE
Originally Posted by sdix
If you are 360 and not D1 or F then you are doing something wrong. So I think F, D1 and MIlitary should be the same group.

Those needing assistance is such BS. At this point maybe they should board last once everyone else has settled. Maybe DL should keep a couple of mid section rows reserved for "handicapped". After all it's not WN. Ya got a seat assignment, just a matter of how many people you inconvenience to get there.
Totally agree half the problem is the inconsiderate wheel chair pusher people who neither work for delta nor care at all about anyone other than the possible tipper they have in the chair. So many times a line of 6 chairs goes down, 5 mins later F boards and sure enough the jetway is obstructed by wheel chair pusher folks slowly walking up the middle of the bridge. Same thing on deboarding everything grinds to a halt while the pusher slowly encourages their charge to sit in the chair while blocking the entire jet bridge.
Old Apr 24, 2024, 1:43 pm

Programs: DL DM
It's a minor irritation, but I've observed a frequent asymmetry in "needing extra time to board" vs the needing more time to disembark.

Last week we were flying MSP-FSD on Embraer 175 and about a dozen people answered the "early boarding" call. I was surprised to see that the early boarders were occupying 6/12 FC seats, already with PDB in hand. I guess that's fine, but once the plane landed one of the gentlemen almost climbed over my wife while everyone was waiting for the jet bridge to dock. When she sensed the crowding and turned around and asked if everything was ok, he said he "just wanted to get off the plane." (Unlike everyone else I guess.) He didn't have a carry on so overhead space wasn't the issue.

Maybe they should append "and those with no shame" to the "needing more time" announcement. I was most disappointed that he didn't ask if we knew who he was, since that thread has gotten a little stale.
Old Apr 24, 2024, 2:00 pm

Programs: Delta 360 and 2MM, Air Canada 25k, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by gm1955
It's a minor irritation, but I've observed a frequent asymmetry in "needing extra time to board" vs the needing more time to disembark.

Last week we were flying MSP-FSD on Embraer 175 and about a dozen people answered the "early boarding" call. I was surprised to see that the early boarders were occupying 6/12 FC seats, already with PDB in hand. I guess that's fine, but once the plane landed one of the gentlemen almost climbed over my wife while everyone was waiting for the jet bridge to dock. When she sensed the crowding and turned around and asked if everything was ok, he said he "just wanted to get off the plane." (Unlike everyone else I guess.) He didn't have a carry on so overhead space wasn't the issue.

Maybe they should append "and those with no shame" to the "needing more time" announcement. I was most disappointed that he didn't ask if we knew who he was, since that thread has gotten a little stale.
That's pretty appalling behavior. I'm sorry you both experienced that. The boarding process and number of passengers who think they qualify for pre-boarding is absurd. I'm all for pre-boarding for people who genuinely need extra time or assistance, and of course our military members, but so many people view it as a chance to rush the gate and get on first.
strickerj likes this.
Old May 2, 2024, 6:41 pm

Programs: NW GE
Any updates or experience on how this is going?
Old May 2, 2024, 6:45 pm

Programs: Delta 360 and 2MM, Air Canada 25k, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Lyaec350
Any updates or experience on how this is going?
It was great at LGA today. Gate agents seemed informed, new boarding pillars and electronic signage. Seemed orderly. Of course doesn't stop people from crowding the gate, but instructions are clearer.
Old May 2, 2024, 6:48 pm

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
Originally Posted by chipbennett
Firstly, I empathize, because 1) Delta keeps changing things, and 2) gate agents simply don't carry out/enforce the boarding order consistently. That said, the boarding order as-published is straightforward: parents traveling with children under 2 board after Diamond/PS and before Sky Priority.

Delta boarding order (prior to 01 May 2024)
Wow, I should begin to travel with a stroller for earlier boarding.

Jiburi
lindros2, ATOBTTR and chipbennett like this.
Old May 2, 2024, 10:57 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by jiburi
Agent: Sir, we are boarding passengers flying with children.
jiburi: Actually, you technically said car seats and strollers. This is a stroller.
Agent: But theres no child with you
jiburi: I know.

As someone who travels often with (now older) children, I dont understand why those traveling with children dont fall within the first pre-boarding group. I feel like letting these passengers board and get settled first makes for smoother boarding for everyone else.

I digress though, I enjoy the satisfaction of being told by the agent that we arent boarding passengers with car seats and strollers yet and then replying You did call First Class, right?
Lyaec350, kavok, GagaPilot and 1 others like this.
Old May 3, 2024, 8:15 am

Programs: Delta Death March, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott/Hilton Gold Life
Originally Posted by jiburi
i once saw TSA tear apart a stroller at a gate.
Husband (father) was mortified.
Old May 3, 2024, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by tardyturtle
I digress though, I enjoy the satisfaction of being told by the agent that “we aren’t boarding passengers with car seats and strollers yet” and then replying “You did call First Class, right?”
For me, you're almost certainly checking a bag to travel with small children, at which point boarding last seems like the obvious answer

Never understood the rush to get on the plane unless you're fighting for bin space, although I guess I miss out on the above.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.