Revised boarding order launching 5/1

Old Apr 12, 2024, 2:29 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
If they stopped charging or checked bags and instead charged for carry on bags, the entire problem would go away.
BigFishDave likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2024, 4:30 am

Programs: Delta, Hilton, Hertz
Originally Posted by 5khours
If they stopped charging or checked bags and instead charged for carry on bags, the entire problem would go away.
It cost the airline money to service checked bags. So it wouldn't make sense to allocate the cost to checked instead of carry on. Adding a carry on bag fee would make me feel like I'm flying on frontier or something.
Old Apr 12, 2024, 7:11 am

Programs: DL 2MM, AA ExPlat, UA S, HH S, MR LT Titanium, National Exec
Originally Posted by micstatic
It cost the airline money to service checked bags. So it wouldn't make sense to allocate the cost to checked instead of carry on. Adding a carry on bag fee would make me feel like I'm flying on frontier or something.
The airlines make millions from baggage fees, it's a revenue generator, not an expense. One paid checked bag per hour pretty much pays for the guy throwing your bag on the belt. They would absolutely charge for carry on if they could get away with it.

IMO, the added expense of how much longer boarding takes because PAX trying to avoid the baggage fees is acceptable to the airlines because of the money they make from existing baggage fees. For them the system is working.
Old Apr 12, 2024, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What is this checked-bag fee that everyone is talking about? Almost every flight I am on departing SLC, the GAs offer to check roller bags for free to the final destination because of projected lack of overhead space.
Old Apr 12, 2024, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
I've only been a status-holding frequent flyer for 32 years, so you'll please forgive my limited experience, but even with two checked bags included with most every airline ticket, the problem existed. Many would pay for hand luggage to insure the bag would make it to the end point and not get lost in transit, not have the valuables and fragiles destroyed, and so on.
strickerj likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2024, 11:23 am

Programs: AA 1MM; DL PM
Originally Posted by vnvet
It seems Delta is alienating its customers with downgrades like this
I'm curious what "downgrades" you perceive in this move. Based on the posted chart, the only potentially negative change is that DMs will board simultaneously with PS, which doesn't seem like that much of an issue. For 360s who now get to pre-board, it actually seems like an upgrade. Other than that, the entire boarding process is unchanged: they've just relabeled the groups. Seems like a nothingburger.
Old Apr 12, 2024, 12:21 pm

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
SoÖ 360ís can now board with wheelchairs and anyone wearing MulticamÖ

Awesome!
Old Apr 12, 2024, 7:43 pm

Programs: DL DM/1M
I'm surprised Delta didn't try to market Zone 1, Zone 1.25, Zone 1.50, and Zone 1.99 to make everyone feel just a little more special and confused at the same time.
strickerj likes this.

Last edited by Formulanone; Apr 21, 2024 at 8:59 am
Old Apr 13, 2024, 1:22 am

Programs: AA,SPG, Delta, Amtrak, JB
Originally Posted by GaryDD
The airlines make millions from baggage fees, it's a revenue generator, not an expense. One paid checked bag per hour pretty much pays for the guy throwing your bag on the belt. They would absolutely charge for carry on if they could get away with it.

IMO, the added expense of how much longer boarding takes because PAX trying to avoid the baggage fees is acceptable to the airlines because of the money they make from existing baggage fees. For them the system is working.
If they enforced the carryon bag policy, there would be less of a boarding issue. Overheads bins were generally designed to fit 3 carryons. That they don't, is because some pax' bags are too big and some have more than one.
Old Apr 16, 2024, 5:26 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by DCAproducer
Gate agents will continue to allow parents with small children to pre-board even through they are supposed to board after Zone 2.
As the parent of two small children, I have never experienced a clear announcement about when we are supposed to board. When they announce "passengers needing additional time" we get on the plane. If we are supposed to wait until later, nobody is ever telling us. When you are doing everything you can just to manage little kids, you don't really have time to decipher the colors, brand names, and numbers that appear all over the place, you're just trying to get your kids on the plane and hope that other people don't hate you too much for existing.
LaserSailor likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2024, 5:40 am

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by Jaysonb22
I'm a UA 1K, and even I agree premium cabin customers should board first (I'm okay with GS pre-boarding since there are usually very few, or none, on any given flight).
I've been flying UA in F a bit recently (often I can get UA in F non-stop, cheaper than DL in Y with a connection in/out of RDU). I have no UA status, yet. Yeah, it's always amazed me that they have 1K board before (domestic) F. Overall though, I think their boarding process is more orderly than DL's right now.
Old Apr 16, 2024, 5:47 am

Programs: AADULtArer
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
As the parent of two small children, I have never experienced a clear announcement about when we are supposed to board. When they announce "passengers needing additional time" we get on the plane. If we are supposed to wait until later, nobody is ever telling us. When you are doing everything you can just to manage little kids, you don't really have time to decipher the colors, brand names, and numbers that appear all over the place, you're just trying to get your kids on the plane and hope that other people don't hate you too much for existing.
Dr Mrs Abscate would give them the 1000 yard Mom stare as we boarded first with our six kids. No Gate agent dared challenge her

oh, the memories

UA typically has 10-20 preboards , less than 10% of the plane. Of course there are GS rich stations but these are outliers. Donít live in SFO if you donít like GS getting on before you
Old Apr 22, 2024, 6:16 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles (DM), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium, LTP)
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
Firstly, I empathize, because 1) Delta keeps changing things, and 2) gate agents simply don't carry out/enforce the boarding order consistently. That said, the boarding order as-published is straightforward: parents traveling with children under 2 board after Diamond/PS and before Sky Priority.

Delta boarding order (prior to 01 May 2024)
Old Apr 22, 2024, 11:00 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by amanuensis
What is this checked-bag fee that everyone is talking about? Almost every flight I am on departing SLC, the GAs offer to check roller bags for free to the final destination because of projected lack of overhead space.
I suspect you're being tongue in cheek, but if people who PREFER to check were given a no cost option from the start , then those that prefer to carry on wouldn't have as much issue. Look at Southwest! L
Old Apr 23, 2024, 6:21 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles (DM), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium, LTP)
Originally Posted by Gig103
I suspect you're being tongue in cheek, but if people who PREFER to check were given a no cost option from the start , then those that prefer to carry on wouldn't have as much issue. Look at Southwest! L
Yeah, I don't understand the airlines' rationale for incentivizing carrying on luggage in lieu of checked luggage. Carried-on luggage slows down both the boarding and de-boarding processes, compared to checked luggage. When time is (significant) money regarding turnaround time at the gate, I just don't get it. Find a way to incentivize passengers to check their luggage; reserve (free) carry-on luggage as a status perk, and charge for it otherwise.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.