Revised boarding order launching 5/1

Old Apr 9, 2024, 12:28 pm

Programs: DL DM, 2 MM, UA Silver (thanks Marriott!), Marriott Ambassador
Delta needs to take a lesson on Elite boarding from Frontier (yes, Frontier!).. I flew F9 the other day with my matched Diamond Status and they call for pre-boarding for "persons needing extra time and assistance, active duty military and Diamond and Gold Members". You go ahead of the "families with small children" So I was able to board at the very first announcement. You can be a Diamond with DL and still end up having to wait sometimes for what seems like an eternity.. Since elites seem to also be the worst gate lice IME, it would also get them out of the way sooner from blocking the entrance and hovering, etc.. Just get them on the plane asap so they aren't such a boarding annoyance...
Old Apr 9, 2024, 12:41 pm

Programs: DL DM, 2 MM, UA Silver (thanks Marriott!), Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Keep it simple with numbers, and enforce it. All airlines should do this. And if you violate this, the Wonka bad egg trap door should open and send you to the incinerator. Watch how quickly that boarding will become civilized.
Most gate agents are too busy and/or lazy to enforce.. Truth is, that enforcing it will SLOW down the boarding process by stopping someone, listen to their explanation and/or protest(s) - getting them out of the line and continuing., This probably adds 30 seconds on average (depending on how large a group of people you are kicking out of the line..). on a large plane/full flight this time could become precious minutes and possibly delay the flight if time is tight and you are doing it to multiple passengers. Most agents will just look the other way - they are incentivized for getting the flight out on time, not kicking people to the back of the line who are out of zone order... The ones who do relish kicking customers out of line (just to board them a couple minutes later..) are usually just the nasty, surly gate agents that we all have encountered that are on a power trip and should be fired anyway because of their nasty attitudes toward customers in general - not just related to boarding. That is the reality and why these boarding zones are kind of a joke, even though they are paid lip service and always seem to be changing. Boarding an airplane with several hundred people is just always a pain and probably always will be - not much can be done to change that really.. It is most often the worst and most stressful part of the trip for myself (and I am usually in Zone 1 or 2.." - but it still sucks!)

If I am in F and boarding has already started, or am in Coach and I know my carry on bags will have adequate space, I usually just try and be last on board to not have to deal with the parade of people coming by my seat and minimize my time on the plane. However these days, with the GAs being so uptight about on-time departures, they can get nasty about pushing you down a crowded jetway when half the plane is still standing in it (threaten to give away your seat, etc.)... I prefer to sit in a gate chair or stand away from the gate door and then just walk on as the last passenger (no matter where I am sitting), store my bag quickly as the door is closing and we leave. After millions of miles, I don't get why many people want to sit on a plane 30 minutes longer than they have to - THAT should have to be the BE people, IMO.. first to board, last to deplane...
5khours, LaserSailor and rkoechel like this.

Last edited by resolute; Apr 9, 2024 at 3:39 pm
Old Apr 9, 2024, 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by resolute
Most gate agents are too busy and/or lazy to enforce.. Truth is, that enforcing it will SLOW down the boarding process by stopping someone, listen to their explanation and/or protest(s) - getting them out of the line and continuing., This probably adds 30 seconds on average (depending on how large a group of people you are kicking out of the line..). on a large plane/full flight this time could become precious minutes and possibly delay the flight if time is tight and you are doing it to multiple passengers. Most agents will just look the other way - they are incentivized for getting the flight out on time, not kicking people to the back of the line who are out of zone order... The ones who do relish kicking customers out of line (just to board them a couple minutes later..) are usually just the nasty, surly gate agents that we all have encountered that are on a power trip and should be fired anyway because of their nasty attitudes toward customers in general - not just related to boarding. That is the reality and why these boarding zones are kind of a joke, even though they are paid lip service and always seem to be changing. Boarding an airplane with several hundred people is just always a pain and probably always will be - not much can be done to change that really.. It is most often the worst and most stressful part of the trip for myself (and I am usually in Zone 1 or 2.." - but it still sucks!)
Amex loves the marketing side of this.
resolute likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2024, 3:13 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
Not much of a change in boarding order, just different terminology. I think this should be simpler and closely matches what other US carriers do.
emrdoc and chipbennett like this.
Old Apr 9, 2024, 3:18 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond; Marriott Gold Elite
*grab popcorn*
Old Apr 9, 2024, 3:21 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
But UA also boards 1K first, and on a large jet, there can be 100 "preboards" before F, totally unacceptable. Glad DL isn't going that way with the DMs.
100% agree. I rarely fly UA but was stuck flying them in Polaris from AKL to SFO earlier this year and boarding 1K's before business class was insanity. It was easily 50+ people.
Old Apr 9, 2024, 4:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Watch how quickly that boarding will become civilized.
Haha. The people who are so oblivious to the process would not change their behavior.
Old Apr 9, 2024, 5:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by renfield90
That makes a lot of sense and I'm also glad they're making the change. I do want to share though that the worst gate crowding issue I've ever experienced was on a recent AA flight, which already uses numbered boarding zones. I'm curious if that's a "people who fly AA" problem or if there's something else at play. Maybe people see 5 on their boarding pass, and get even more anxious about available overhead bin space?
Really?!? I fly AA a couple of time per year, but I'm never seen crowding any worse than DL. That said, I think it depends on how much space there is in the gate area. For those space-constrained airports, where they're flying full 321's out of gate areas designed for half-full DC9-10's (like the older concourses at ATL or many of the SEA gates), yes there is crowding regardless of the airline.
Old Apr 9, 2024, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by formeraa
Really?!? I fly AA a couple of time per year, but I'm never seen crowding any worse than DL. That said, I think it depends on how much space there is in the gate area. For those space-constrained airports, where they're flying full 321's out of gate areas designed for half-full DC9-10's (like the older concourses at ATL or many of the SEA gates), yes there is crowding regardless of the airline.
Except WN, but everyone wants to poo poo their boarding process. It works well. Just give everyone a boarding sequence #. The airlines that use a line for each zone also works better than this nonsense, although most gates are too restricted for that many stanchions.
Daze, hurnik, DCAhome and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 9, 2024, 6:02 pm

Programs: Delta, United
I need to thank delta for implementing my suggestion. Only took them a couple of years to do so.
Old Apr 9, 2024, 6:44 pm

Programs: AA,SPG, Delta, Amtrak, JB
Originally Posted by dorourke08
I saw this posted on twitter. It looks like Delta is revising boarding order starting on 5/1 to use only numbers instead of the current system with D1/FC, C+, Sky, Main 1, etc. https://x.com/_zachgriff/status/1777...341173801?s=42

Delta 360 moves to pre-board and D1/First through Sky Priority get rebranded with a zone number instead of marketing lingo.

So they DL has reverted to how they used to do it up to 2019 when they made the change to the current system, then huh?
emrdoc and Synapseturquoise like this.
Old Apr 9, 2024, 7:15 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by AJNEDC
So they DL has reverted to how they used to do it up to 2019 when they made the change to the current system, then huh?
Pre-2019 was a mix of both with the marketing at the beginning of the order (First, C+, and Sky) followed by the Main Cabin Groups referred to as Zone 1, 2, and 3 followed by Basic Economy. The old system was arguably even more confusing as Zone 1 was no where near the first zone hence the rebrand to Main 1.
flyerCO likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2024, 8:22 pm

Glad they simplified it. Will this help reduce gate lice in Main 1-2 now?
Old Apr 9, 2024, 9:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Maybe just enforce the rules for those that ignore the zones and board whenever they want.
DrMilano likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2024, 9:32 pm

Programs: Delta 360/DM/3MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
I would just like them to clearly state when families with strollers board. Agents in MCO make it VERY clear they board after first. Consistency would be nice.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.