Revised boarding order launching 5/1

Old Jun 4, 2024, 9:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by chipbennett
What, exactly, was the problem here (other than the dog, which has nothing to do with boarding order/priority)? If the couple needed extra time to board, then they approached the gate at the correct time. The mother with infant did not. Parents with infants board after Zone 2.
Older couple had no bags other than a purse. And a dog on a leash. What qualifies that as needing extra time for boarding?

I get it, though. Dogs are more important than infants.
BigFishDave and hhdl like this.
Old Jun 4, 2024, 9:27 am

Programs: DL DM
Gate agents are given a lot of authority to make decisions about boarding. I think technically, if someone wants to board early due to a "need extra time to board" you can't ask why they need this. Sometimes, if I am traveling with a dog I do it only because (in economy) it is difficult to get the little kennel under the seat, especially if I am in a window seat and the person on the aisle is already seated. I feel I am doing everyone a favor by getting settled and not holding up boarding. It's not that I want to get on right away. Maybe I am wrong.
Old Jun 4, 2024, 9:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Mr. Tickets
Gate agents are given a lot of authority to make decisions about boarding. I think technically, if someone wants to board early due to a "need extra time to board" you can't ask why they need this. Sometimes, if I am traveling with a dog I do it only because (in economy) it is difficult to get the little kennel under the seat, especially if I am in a window seat and the person on the aisle is already seated. I feel I am doing everyone a favor by getting settled and not holding up boarding. It's not that I want to get on right away. Maybe I am wrong.
In your case, I would agree. However, this couple did not have a kennel. If they had, I wouldn't have mentioned the event.

And I'm not criticizing the GA. He did a great job making sure we got on our way as quickly as possible. Just amazed at how some people believe they are entitled.
BigFishDave likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2024, 3:52 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles

Programs: DL (duh), AA 1MM, Bonvoy Titanium, HH Diamond
Hi all,
I wanted to put out a friendly reminder that this thread is to discuss the new boarding order that is published by DL. We've all seen a variety of potential "abuses" by other pax, and the incident being described isn't new, nor is it specific to Delta. Please stick to the topic at hand.

Thanks in advance!
Emma Dog
DenverBrian, Mr. Tickets and hhdl like this.
Old Jun 5, 2024, 3:20 am

Programs: AADULtArer
Originally Posted by halls120
Older couple had no bags other than a purse. And a dog on a leash. What qualifies that as needing extra time for boarding?

Boarder Collies are Pre-board eligible
DenverBrian and BigFishDave like this.
Old Jun 5, 2024, 9:21 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles (DM), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium, LTP)
Originally Posted by halls120

Perhaps because they are elderly? Perhaps they have physical or other limitations not visible/readily apparent to observers? Perhaps it's nobody else's business?
wrp96 and marwah0 like this.
Old Jun 5, 2024, 9:22 am

Originally Posted by emma dog
Hi all,
I wanted to put out a friendly reminder that this thread is to discuss the new boarding order that is published by DL. We've all seen a variety of potential "abuses" by other pax, and the incident being described isn't new, nor is it specific to Delta. Please stick to the topic at hand.

Thanks in advance!
Emma Dog
Sorry. I will stay on-topic.
obscure2k and emma dog like this.
Old Jun 5, 2024, 9:54 am

Programs: Delta DM / 4MM; HHonors Diamond
Back to the listed topic .... At least at the airports I frequent, the GAs always forget to say anything about 360 members boarding after "those needing extra time". Just wondering if anyone has seen any different behavior out in the wild?
Old Jun 5, 2024, 10:44 am

Originally Posted by mr_hoff
Back to the listed topic .... At least at the airports I frequent, the GAs always forget to say anything about 360 members boarding after "those needing extra time". Just wondering if anyone has seen any different behavior out in the wild?
Personally, I don't understand subdividing the pre-boards into three separate groups. Why not just call all pre-boards at once: those needing extra time/assistance, military, and 360s?

But, to your point: I've heard it reported anecdotally elsewhere that 360s aren't getting announced for pre-board.
Old Jun 5, 2024, 11:12 am

Originally Posted by chipbennett
Personally, I don't understand subdividing the pre-boards into three separate groups. Why not just call all pre-boards at once: those needing extra time/assistance, military, and 360s?

But, to your point: I've heard it reported anecdotally elsewhere that 360s aren't getting announced for pre-board.
In my experience the military group of folks is usually quite large, and I dont think it would be wise to mix them with pre-boards that need extra time (disabled/injured, elderly, or some other condition where they move quite slow or need FA assistance). I wish DL (and other carriers) would honestly drop the military and car seats / strollers groups and just have those individuals board with whatever their usual zone would be. Not trying to be disrespectful, but pre-boarding should be for truly a special need, and then it should be based on paid class or earned status positions.

Next week will be my first trip on DL since the new boarding order launched. Likely wont see much of it since Im in F, but curious to see if any of the usual chaos is reduced or how quickly flights board compared to the past.
Old Jun 5, 2024, 2:08 pm

Programs: AADULtArer
Originally Posted by GagaPilot
In my experience the military group of folks is usually quite large, and I dont think it would be wise to mix them with pre-boards that need extra time (disabled/injured, elderly, or some other condition where they move quite slow or need FA assistance). I wish DL (and other carriers) would honestly drop the military and car seats / strollers groups and just have those individuals board with whatever their usual zone would be. Not trying to be disrespectful, but pre-boarding should be for truly a special need, and then it should be based on paid class or earned status positions.

Next week will be my first trip on DL since the new boarding order launched. Likely wont see much of it since Im in F, but curious to see if any of the usual chaos is reduced or how quickly flights board compared to the past.
highly dependent on station. Almost none at LGA EWR

since my biggest hazard ever faced was a falling pivot table, I leave this Benny to the 0.5% combat arms, active or not.
Old Jun 5, 2024, 2:53 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles

Programs: DL (duh), AA 1MM, Bonvoy Titanium, HH Diamond

I've been on at least weekly flights between ATL and TPA/FLL/MCO/SRQ/PBI since this went live. Every single one has completed boarding in 30 minutes and we've left the gate early. The gate lice in some places has been pretty bad... (looking at you, PBI and MCO), but the actual boarding has been significantly faster. It doesn't make sense to me, but here we are.
Old Jun 5, 2024, 3:19 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, DL Gold
I wish DL (and other carriers) would honestly drop the military and car seats / strollers groups and just have those individuals board with whatever their usual zone would be. Not trying to be disrespectful, but pre-boarding should be for truly a special need, and then it should be based on paid class or earned status positions.
Strongly disagree, Delta using carseats and strollers provides a great objective criteria that identifies families with very small humans that really benefit from having a running start to get onto the plane. This is also (by and large) a very small number of passengers and usually a much smaller number of passengers than in the need more time or other special boarding category.
Old Jun 5, 2024, 3:31 pm

Most of the flights I have been on lately, they seem to have dropped any reference to strollers, families in general. The have referenced people traveling with children under the age of two years . They do remind people to come to the podium and get pink tags for strollers. Just my observation.
Old Jun 5, 2024, 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
DL could even do like AA does and at check-in ask if you are military, which then has to be verified by an agent who checks your ID. Once verified, it opens benefits available to military (checked baggage, etc.). Upon confirmation your boarding zone is updated to Zone 1. As you note, this would make it easier to "blend in" for OPSEC reasons and avoid the faux patriotic scenes at the gate, though I've seen a few GAs opt to make a spectacle of it and ask everyone to clap for the military boarding.
Delta used to say active military which they dont seem to do consistently. I would think that asking for Military ID would only slow things down. My question is it active military or just military in general.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.