Bump Compensation

Old Mar 31, 2024, 9:58 am
Original Poster

Bump Compensation

Bought a ticket on Delta.com from Mazatlan to MEX to SFO on Aeromexico. Traveling on the day after the Eclipse and have been told flight is way oversold (they stopped selling ticks months ago).
Does Delta or Aeromexico ever offer compensation for volunteering to taking a bump? What does the process / compensation look like?
Is the reward more sky miles?
Old Mar 31, 2024, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by thaitraveller
Bought a ticket on Delta.com from Mazatlan to MEX to SFO on Aeromexico. Traveling on the day after the Eclipse and have been told flight is way oversold (they stopped selling ticks months ago).
Does Delta or Aeromexico ever offer compensation for volunteering to taking a bump? What does the process / compensation look like?
Not sure about AM but on DL youll likely get a call if the flight is significantly oversold or youll be asked at the gate in case of no shows. Last time we all got offered $200 plus a flight the next day when they called me in advance.
Old Mar 31, 2024, 10:46 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Hilton Honors, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Originally Posted by thaitraveller
DL tends to be generous with VDB compensation, though that would only apply for flights operated by DL (just buying through DL is meaningless in this context). For AM-operated, the AM forum would be the place to ask.
Old Mar 31, 2024, 10:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If these are AM operated flights, AM would offer the compensation for volunteers, not DL (unless you're rebooked onto DL flights that need volunteers). AM and government of Mexico rules would apply. I don't know whether AM can issue SkyMiles (vs their own miles/points) as compensation.

If your travel is flexible, you should try to check in advance (when OLCI opens and definitely before going to the airport) whether there are any early offers for volunteers. [This sometimes happens when flights are very heavily overbooked, although normally volunteers are requested at the gate shortly before boarding.] Check your reservation on the AM website/app and make sure that you know the AM PNR, not just the DL PNR. If possible, make sure that AM has contact information (an email address and phone number) associated with the reservation for you. It's wise to print the reservation (in this case, from both the DL and AM websites) and ticket receipt (with ticket number) and carry hard copies of this information with you.

If you want to take the flight, try to board as soon as your zone is called. If you might be willing to be a last minute volunteer, be sure that the GA knows that you're available and try to board late, staying within sight of the GA. Also, check possibilities for other flights that you'd be willing to take in advance, writing down flight numbers and times, including different connecting points or flights for the next day if applicable. Many of your preferred alternative flights are likely to be badly overbooked too.
Old Mar 31, 2024, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Since these are Aeromexico operated flights, it is probably be better to inquire in that forum. DL would not be one offering compensation or looking for volunteers for an oversold situation... so would be AM policies and procedures.
Old Mar 31, 2024, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
I expect DL will be needing volunteers. I booked home to SAT. I had to book full Y last seat for the weekend (6/7th). However schedule change ran last night and when I looked earlier, flights all of a sudden showing YBM and even E 9
Old Mar 31, 2024, 11:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by flyerCO
I expect DL will be needing volunteers. I booked home to SAT. I had to book full Y last seat for the weekend (6/7th). However schedule change ran last night and when I looked earlier, flights all of a sudden showing YBM and even E 9
Can you tell whether DL added flight(s) and/or switched to larger aircraft?

Are you rebooking your ticket for a lower fare?
Old Mar 31, 2024, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Can you tell whether DL added flight(s) and/or switched to larger aircraft?

Are you rebooking your ticket for a lower fare?
No added flights I can tell. AFAIK no upgauges.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.