Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Interline Bags from DL to AF - Any Concerns?

Old Mar 18, 2024, 4:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP; Avis PC; Hertz PC; Marriott LT Gold; Hilton Diamond

Posted this in the AF Forum and am also posting here to get the views from the DL crowd:

I have an upcoming JFK-CDG-MXP flight on AF, all on one PNR. I am taking a separate positioning flight (separate PNR) CLT-JFK on DL with 8 hours in between to allow for delays or getting onto a different flight if needed. All flights in J.

I understand that Delta will interline my bags and check them through to MXP.

Wondering if anyone has had any experience with this and whether I should trust that my bags will make it to AF or if it is safer to have the bags checked only to JFK and then take them to AF and check in separately.

Thanks!
Old Mar 18, 2024, 4:59 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles

Programs: DL (duh), AA 1MM, Bonvoy Titanium, HH Diamond
Youre fine. DL puts bags in AF all the time.
HofstraJet and pbiflyer like this.
Old Mar 18, 2024, 5:00 pm

Programs: Free agent; tend to fly DL and UA most
The overwhelming likelihood is that everything will be fine. Not only are DL+AF part of the same alliance (i.e. codesharing, etc), but they have a transatlantic joint venture where they actually share operations. If there's anywhere that multi-carrier baggage handling will work seamlessly, this is it.
HofstraJet likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2024, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
I have an upcoming JFK-CDG-MXP flight on AF, all on one PNR. I am taking a separate positioning flight (separate PNR) CLT-JFK on Delta with 8 hours in between to allow for delays or getting onto a different flight if needed. All flights in J. I understand that Delta will interline my bags and check them through to MXP. Wondering if anyone has had any experience with this and whether I should trust that my bags will make it to AF or if it is safer to have the bags checked only to JFK and then take them to AF and check in separately.
Bags will be checked through just fine. I do this DL-AY frequently and have had no issues. (AY being OW and in T8 even) DL-AF is regular transfer at JFK, as DL in past has used AF more than DL metal for CDG flights.
HofstraJet likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2024, 8:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP; Avis PC; Hertz PC; Marriott LT Gold; Hilton Diamond
Thanks, everyone, for the reassurances. I'm feeling better about it now.
Old Mar 18, 2024, 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by HofstraJet
Thanks, everyone, for the reassurances. I'm feeling better about it now.
Please report back with your experience. Im doing the same exact thing in July, except to VCE.
Old Mar 18, 2024, 9:15 pm

Programs: DL PM
I've had a 13.5 hour layover in CDG going from DL to AF and my bags made it back with me.
Also, a 12 hour layover in AMS, DL to KL. No issues.
Old Mar 19, 2024, 8:52 am

Programs: American, Delta, JetBlue, United
Originally Posted by HofstraJet
Posted this in the AF Forum and am also posting here to get the views from the DL crowd:

Like others, I've done this in the past without difficulty, most recently between DL and KLM.

But FYI, double posting is not permitted.

I have an upcoming JFK-CDG-MXP flight on AF, all on one PNR. I am taking a separate positioning flight (separate PNR) CLT-JFK on DL with 8 hours in between to allow for delays or getting onto a different flight if needed. All flights in J.

I understand that Delta will interline my bags and check them through to MXP.

Wondering if anyone has had any experience with this and whether I should trust that my bags will make it to AF or if it is safer to have the bags checked only to JFK and then take them to AF and check in separately.

Thanks!
Old Mar 19, 2024, 10:41 am

Programs: Hhonors Gold, DL PM
The only case in which it is less than seamless is if you are travelling on two tickets; for example XXX-CDG and CDG-XXX on separate tickets where a DL station through checks the bags. In my experience, AF systems will not always pick up the association between the bag and reservation, which could cause the bag to not be loaded on XXX-CDG. The best way to deal with this is to see an AF rep immediately on arrival to CDG and have them properly add the bag tag to the second reservation.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.