Old Feb 21, 2024, 3:38 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: flyerCO
MQM Conversion Key Points
  1. Once selected your choices are FINAL.
  2. You have until Dec 31 2024 to make selections.
  3. If you do NOT make selections by Dec 31 2024, then all rollover converts to MQDs.
  4. You can extend 2024 earned status (what you earned flying in 2023) for 100k per year. There is no limit to number of years this can be done. (There was a FT report of agent saying 5 years, and at least one blog briefly stated this. However as examples below show, there is definitely no limit)
  5. If you elect status extensions, but will earn status this year by earning the MQDs required, you will not get an extra year of status.
  6. There is no way to skip a year when extending status. You cannot simply tell DL to start extension with 2026 status instead of 2025. i.e. you know you will earn required MQDs this year for 2025 status. You cannot tell DL to simply skip extension for the 2025 status year.
  7. You can convert rollover into MQDs at rate of 10 MQMs to $1 MQDs.
  8. You can convert rollover in miles at rate of 2 MQMs to 1 mile.
  9. You can select multiple options. MQD option can be done using 0, 25, 50, 75, or 100% of available MQMs.
  10. Any remaining MQMs after deducting for extensions and MQDs, get converted to miles.
  11. If you have MQMs remaining to post, any additional will be converted in MQDs/miles with MQDsusing the percentage you selected.i.e. if you have 1000 MQMs post a month after select conversion to MQDs using the 50% option, 500 of the 1000 MQMs will be converted into MQDs and 500 of the 1000 MQMs into miles.
ALL SELECTIONS ARE FINAL. NO DO-OVERS!

FAQS

Do I get Choice Benefits if elect extension?

YES. However if you extend DM, you only get the DM CBs, unless you also earn PM naturally. (Either from MQDs or because of 2MM status)

Note DL has decided to make us wait for CB till Feb 1, if elect extensions. If get due to MQD selection then you get 2025 CB right away.

I made my selections, but now want to change them. What can I do?

Once selected, all choices are FINAL. There is no changing them. If you are unsure how you wish to apply selections, you need wait till you are, but you must select on or before Dec 31, 2024.

It is Jan 1, 2025, I didn't make a selection, what can I do?

Nothing. If you don't select on or before Dec 31, 2024 all rollover will automatically convert into MQDs.

If I elect MQDs, but don't need them, can I change my election?

No. Once selected, all choices are final.

​​​​​​I elected MQDs, but don't need them, will they rollover to next year?

No. There is no MQD rollover. They are simply lost/wasted MQDs.

I am a Diamond and selecting extension for one or more years. Is there any reason to select anything other than zero percent for MQDs?

No/Yes As MQDs do not rollover, if you are Diamond and are electing status extension, there is no benefit to selecting the MQDs option unless you won't earn PM otherwise and want the PM CBs. You need to be careful if doing this, as any MQDs above PM will be wasted MQDs, as MQDs do not rollover. Also if you end up under PM MQD, any MQDs selected would be wasted. (As reaching GM MQD confers no additional benefits)

Print Wikipost

MQM Conversion Active

Old Mar 9, 2024, 10:51 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum ; Hilton Gold; Hertz 5*, Delta DM. Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
Plat for 2024...I have ~400K MQMs...and have about $10K MQDs right now. I will probably hit platinum organically in the future, but never diamond.

I am weighing three options and would love input:

1. Platinum until Jan 2029 guaranteed - easy path, lowest risk but no diamond ever again (was diamond for the last 10 years)

2. Choose $20K MQDs now, get diamond for 2024 and 2025 and take 100K miles - high risk if I don't earn enough in 2025 to be platinum in 2026 and the 100K miles seems to be worth less and less each year.

3. Choose a 2-year status extension (200K) and then turn the rest into MQDs ($20K). That would give me DIamond for the rest of 2024, all of 2025 and then Platinum guaranteed for 2026. That would double dip for 2025 as I would be platinum and diamond in essence, but guarantees me platinum in 2026.

What would you do?

Thanks!
Old Mar 10, 2024, 1:40 am

Programs: Delta DM, 2MM
Originally Posted by Uncle Lars
So, after reading through this thread. and not having grabbed the 2MM 2025 Plat benefits on 2/1 before they disappeared, I still wonder: as a 2MM who extends Diamond status, will I also get the Platinum CB in Feb of 2025 from my 2MM status, or just my Diamond CB? This makes a difference as I am on the cusp of earning Platinum the hard MQD way for this year.....
Maybe for 2025, but it doesn't appear you would in the future, according to the latest response from Delta on Eye of the Flyer. Although many of us did receive our 2025 CB's from MM comp Platinum status this year, it looks like it may not be available in the future. But honestly, who knows as these policies seem to change all the time.

"As a 2 Million Miler, I have ‘lifetime’ Platinum status which grants me the Platinum Choice Benefit. But I also have enough rollover MQM for seven years of a Diamond status extension. So will I get the Platinum Choice Benefit for my Million Miler status and then also the Diamond Choice Benefits for my 7 years of extended Diamond status? Or will my lifetime Platinum essentially be negated (since it’s complimentary) by the Diamond status?”

Delta Spokesperson: In this very nuanced scenario, the Member would only receive Diamond Choice Benefits as part of his/her complimentary statuses for the length of the Diamond extensions. In order for Members in this scenario to also receive Platinum Choice Benefits, $15,000 MQDs would need to be earned for the respective Medallion Year.

Last edited by Boony1970; Mar 10, 2024 at 1:46 am
Old Mar 10, 2024, 6:12 am

Programs: DL DM & 2MM; Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by metalblaze
FWIW, I still havent seen the PM CBs for 2025 (as a 2MM)
Originally Posted by xliioper
This was always pretty much a given since MM status has consistently been considered complimentary, and not earned.
That is still not an excuse for poor communication by one of the largest airlines in the world.
Babu, DiamondSM and chipbennett like this.
Old Mar 10, 2024, 9:56 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM
Originally Posted by Boony1970
Delta Spokesperson: In this very nuanced scenario, the Member would only receive Diamond Choice Benefits as part of his/her complimentary statuses for the length of the Diamond extensions. In order for Members in this scenario to also receive Platinum Choice Benefits, $15,000 MQDs would need to be earned for the respective Medallion Year.
There's something rotten in the state of Delta here. I wish I remember how long my 2MM Plat CBs remained in my account after Feb. 1 before I redeemed them for RUCs. I know it was several days. I only redeemed them in the event I wanted to possibly use a RUC last-minute for a flight on Feb. 16. It seems others on this forum had their CBs taken away before I ever thought of redeeming mine. It doesn't make sense. It makes even less sense that DL would withhold complimentary benefits for an entire year that they had always awarded on Feb. 1.

And then the cherry on top--to award CBs to 2MMs, UNLESS they elect to extend DM status??? I actually think the DL spokesperson is absolutely wrong about this one. The spokesperson is confusing two issues: extending DM status *with* 2MM status vs. extending DM status *without* 2MM status.
Boony1970, audidudi, hhdl and 2 others like this.
Old Apr 1, 2024, 4:44 pm

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
Originally Posted by safigan;[url=tel:36068394
36068394[/url]]There's something rotten in the state of Delta here. I wish I remember how long my 2MM Plat CBs remained in my account after Feb. 1 before I redeemed them for RUCs. I know it was several days. I only redeemed them in the event I wanted to possibly use a RUC last-minute for a flight on Feb. 16. It seems others on this forum had their CBs taken away before I ever thought of redeeming mine. It doesn't make sense. It makes even less sense that DL would withhold complimentary benefits for an entire year that they had always awarded on Feb. 1.

And then the cherry on top--to award CBs to 2MMs, UNLESS they elect to extend DM status??? I actually think the DL spokesperson is absolutely wrong about this one. The spokesperson is confusing two issues: extending DM status *with* 2MM status vs. extending DM status *without* 2MM status.
I could certainly be wrong here, but Im not seeing anything nuanced, complex, or rotten here. It would seem to be appropriate that Delta would only award a single complementary status level, since both now occur essentially at the same time, you only get one, and of course the higher one would, and should prevail. Or do I have this convoluted or am I misunderstanding something?
Old Apr 2, 2024, 8:14 pm

Programs: DL Ham Samich
I qualified for Diamond on like Dec 30 of last year, so Ive got it for the rest of this year.

Its extremely likely that Ill qualify again this calendar year without touching any of my rollover MQMs.

Ive got 500K+ rollover MQMs to play with that I intend to use as a 5 year diamond extension through medical school. But heres my question:

Is there a difference between converting/extending my status now instead of waiting until Ive organically qualified for status this year?

If I extended for 5 years today, my diamond status would end Jan 31, 2030. But would that be 2031 if I wait until after I qualify this year?

thanks!
Old Apr 2, 2024, 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by TheHorta
I could certainly be wrong here, but Im not seeing anything nuanced, complex, or rotten here. It would seem to be appropriate that Delta would only award a single complementary status level, since both now occur essentially at the same time, you only get one, and of course the higher one would, and should prevail. Or do I have this convoluted or am I misunderstanding something?
I think the issue is that its two separate reasons for status. For example, I am a 2MM, so annual platinum status. Ill likely extend my DM status for a year, so now I wouldnt get PM Choice benefits purely because I extended my DM status? But if I was quick in Feb, I could have grabbed those PM Choice benefits? Confusing.
TheHorta likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2024, 9:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by busdriver11
I think the issue is that it’s two separate reasons for status. For example, I am a 2MM, so annual platinum status. I’ll likely extend my DM status for a year, so now I wouldn’t get PM Choice benefits purely because I extended my DM status? But if I was quick in Feb, I could have grabbed those PM Choice benefits? Confusing.
The agent was clearly confused (as usual). It's pretty obvious that DL reconsidered the timing of CB selections for those with MM and MQM extended status (considering them both to basically be "gifted status"), and decided to only provide them at the beginning of the status year, instead of a full year in advance of the start of the status year. They likely didn't fully think through the ramifications of minting a bunch of PMs and DMs via the October updates to MM program and providing extended status via MQM conversions. While you can potentially receive them a full year in advance via organic qualifications (if you do a lot of flying/CC spend in January), that's probably a fairly rare situation. While it's not really that relevant to a number of CB choices, the gifted status and lounge membership options would potentially be valid for a full 2 years, instead of 1 year, by providing CB selections a full year in advance of status year.
TheHorta, hhdl and busdriver11 like this.

Last edited by xliioper; Apr 2, 2024 at 10:04 pm
Old Apr 2, 2024, 10:19 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by RFDMinnesota
I qualified for Diamond on like Dec 30 of last year, so Ive got it for the rest of this year.

Its extremely likely that Ill qualify again this calendar year without touching any of my rollover MQMs.

Ive got 500K+ rollover MQMs to play with that I intend to use as a 5 year diamond extension through medical school. But heres my question:

Is there a difference between converting/extending my status now instead of waiting until Ive organically qualified for status this year?

If I extended for 5 years today, my diamond status would end Jan 31, 2030. But would that be 2031 if I wait until after I qualify this year?

thanks!
Other people have asked a similar question, the option only exists to extend the status that was earned in 2023 (for 2024 Medallion status). If I understand things correctly, you can't extend whatever status you earn in 2024 (for 2025 status.)
Link: 2024 SkyMiles Program Changes | Delta Air Lines
You will have until December 31, 2024 to decide how you would like your Rollover MQMs converted. You can choose to convert them to MQDs, miles or a combination of both. Members with MQM Rollover balances over 100,000 can also choose to extend their 2024 Medallion Status (which was earned January 1, 2023 - December 31, 2023) for 1 year per every 100,000 Rollover MQMs.
Your option is to extend now for 5 years, which would run until Feb 1, 2030.

If you earn PM (+/- DM) "organically" in 2024 you get the choice benefits for 2025 at that time you earn it, but only one PM (if earned via 15,000 MQD) and one DM (no double dip on DM CB).

Congratulations on medical school, but you should consider it's very possible your opportunities for the number of trips may be limited compared to how much you're currently flying (go for quality!) However, there are still huge advantages to Medallion status IMO. Award trips and RUCs are nice for interview trips (sometimes only a week or less notice) or whatever academic breaks your program provides. Scheduling/cancelling award trips is easy, but now with no cancellation fee by Delta paid or award works well. DM may even be relatively less common than now when you are doing residency interviews.
RFDMinnesota likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2024, 1:03 am

Programs: DL Ham Samich
Originally Posted by gm1955
Other people have asked a similar question, the option only exists to extend the status that was earned in 2023 (for 2024 Medallion status). If I understand things correctly, you can't extend whatever status you earn in 2024 (for 2025 status.)
Link: 2024 SkyMiles Program Changes | Delta Air Lines
You will have until December 31, 2024 to decide how you would like your Rollover MQMs converted. You can choose to convert them to MQDs, miles or a combination of both. Members with MQM Rollover balances over 100,000 can also choose to extend their 2024 Medallion Status (which was earned January 1, 2023 - December 31, 2023) for 1 year per every 100,000 Rollover MQMs.
Your option is to extend now for 5 years, which would run until Feb 1, 2030.

If you earn PM (+/- DM) "organically" in 2024 you get the choice benefits for 2025 at that time you earn it, but only one PM (if earned via 15,000 MQD) and one DM (no double dip on DM CB).

Congratulations on medical school, but you should consider it's very possible your opportunities for the number of trips may be limited compared to how much you're currently flying (go for quality!) However, there are still huge advantages to Medallion status IMO. Award trips and RUCs are nice for interview trips (sometimes only a week or less notice) or whatever academic breaks your program provides. Scheduling/cancelling award trips is easy, but now with no cancellation fee by Delta paid or award works well. DM may even be relatively less common than now when you are doing residency interviews.
thank you for your advice! This seems spot on and Ill definitely need to more seriously consider how my much lower travel frequency will affect things.
Old Apr 3, 2024, 8:29 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles (DM), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium, LTP)
Originally Posted by RFDMinnesota
Qualifying organically, you would get both the PM CB and the DM CBs, as soon as you reach each MQD threshold. Qualifying via status extension, you will only get the DM CBs, and it appears that you would get them 01 February 2025.

Only the 2024 status, as earned in 2023, is extended when converting rollover MQMs to status extension.
busdriver11 likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.