Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Is there a way around no Sky Club access with basic economy tickets (Amex Platinum)?

Is there a way around no Sky Club access with basic economy tickets (Amex Platinum)?

Old Feb 17, 2024, 10:06 pm
Original Poster

Question Is there a way around no Sky Club access with basic economy tickets (Amex Platinum)?

It is ridiculous you have to have above a basic economy ticket to use the Amex Platinum to enter the lounge. To combat this, could I book a main ticket in addition to my basic economy (the one I am actually flying) and use that to get into the lounge, then cancel it (for a full refund)? If not, are there any other workarounds for this?
Old Feb 17, 2024, 10:29 pm

Programs: Airline free agent; Starwood Platinum; Hyatt Diamond
Can you explain exactly why it is ridiculous? You clearly want to travel the cheapest way possible, and Delta is happy to oblige. If you want a premium experience including the lounge, you should pay for it.
dw, TerryK, hockeystl and 26 others like this.
Old Feb 17, 2024, 10:34 pm
Original Poster

This was a new rule since January 1st. I already pay $695 a year for the card, seems like our benefits keep getting stripped. I also have the Delta Gold card, so the only benefit besides the lounge now with a main cabin ticket is just to pick my seat, which is usually double the cost of the basic economy ticket...
Old Feb 18, 2024, 12:36 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles - Platinum; Hertz - President's Circle; Expedia - Gold
Picking a seat is not the only benefit. Main cabin fare allows ticket changes, while BE does not.
dw, davidlhanson, lsquare and 4 others like this.
Old Feb 18, 2024, 2:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Firstboss
Picking a seat is not the only benefit. Main cabin fare allows ticket changes, while BE does not.
BE on DL can ve changed, albeit there's a fee ($99 I believe for domestic/short haul international)
lsquare and AJNEDC like this.
Old Feb 18, 2024, 5:03 am

Centurions dont have the BE restriction if your airport has a Centurion.
Old Feb 18, 2024, 6:56 am

Yes, you could book a fake ticket and cancel it. However, I actually do know somebody who used to do this quite often for various reasons, and he finally got a letter from Delta that said do it again and your account is closed. Apparently, even Delta IT can tell that youre probably not going to fly two flights to two different destinations within a few hours of each other.
Old Feb 18, 2024, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Here is the CoC language that covers this (and why it is potentially a bad idea). As noted above, the Amex Centurion Lounges don't care if you are in Basic Economy (and Amex just opened a Centurion Lounge in ATL) --

https://www.delta.com/us/en/legal/co...f-carriage-dgr

Adam1222, lsquare, AJNEDC and 1 others like this.

Last edited by xliioper; Feb 18, 2024 at 7:32 am
Old Feb 18, 2024, 8:11 am

Originally Posted by Orange County Commuter
Yes, you could book a fake ticket and cancel it. However, I actually do know somebody who used to do this quite often for various reasons, and he finally got a letter from Delta that said do it again and your account is closed. Apparently, even Delta IT can tell that youre probably not going to fly two flights to two different destinations within a few hours of each other.
I find it stunning that in only 6 weeks (since BE policy took effect) a company that has horrific IT and still cant figure out GUC/RUC somehow has a system that successfully monitors fake tickets for SC entry for BE passengers.
Old Feb 18, 2024, 8:13 am

Programs: I've gone underground!
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
I find it stunning that in only 6 weeks (since BE policy took effect) a company that has horrific IT and still cant figure out GUC/RUC somehow has a system that successfully monitors fake tickets for SC entry for BE passengers.
This is easy.
1) monitor excessive cancellations
2) monitor when there are impossible itineraries

Delta does both and weve seen reports of both over the years.
lsquare, ACCDraw, becks1 and 4 others like this.
Old Feb 18, 2024, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by forzanocta
and use that to get into the lounge, then cancel it (for a full refund
That's a lot of work for a free snack and an overcrowded room.
dw, TerryK, work2fly and 12 others like this.
Old Feb 18, 2024, 8:38 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by Orange County Commuter
And presumably this would be even more risky next year anyway, because the visit passes from the Amex Plat will likely need to be deposited into a specific SkyMiles account.
Old Feb 18, 2024, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by emma dog
This is easy.
1) monitor excessive cancellations
2) monitor when there are impossible itineraries

Delta does both and weve seen reports of both over the years.
DL can monitor SC entries but Centurions would be tougher. And BE is permitted in Centurions.
lsquare likes this.
Old Feb 18, 2024, 10:20 am

Programs: I've gone underground!
DL can monitor SC entries but Centurions would be tougher. And BE is permitted in Centurions.
Ok? You're missing the point.... you're thinking that Delta is monitoring a whole process: BE ticketholder buys a second ticket to enter club and gets a refund. Delta doesn't have to worry about any part of the process after buying a second ticket, since it's that step they really care about.
Old Feb 18, 2024, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
The system was in place many years before this. They can tell when someone has an excessive number of canceled tickets, especially if FF is attached. Booking ticket just to get into lounge has been issue for years.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.