Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Unable to use Amex/Delta companion fare for Latin America

Unable to use Amex/Delta companion fare for Latin America

Old Feb 10, 2024, 7:55 am
Original Poster

Angry Unable to use Amex/Delta companion fare for Latin America

Ok folks, If you are going to TRY and use a new (2024) Delta/Amex companion certificate that "should" work, there appears to be a bug in their system (Delta's words). I've been trying to set up travel to Roatan (RTB) which, by all accounts, including the Delta reps, should be working, does not. The website says it's not valid. I spent hours on the phone with the Delta Reservations people and they agree it should work but does not. They claim they have opened a support ticket with the back end people but can not give me a clue when it might be resolved. Their only comment was that I was the first to find this and if only one ticket is opened, it will take a long time for it to be resolved (squeaky wheel gets the grease)...

So, I figured I'd open a complaint on Delta's website. Well, it was closed because it was not an issue with a current ticket (which, I can't get because of a bug in their system).

So, I figured I'd post out here to let others know, they might have trouble scheduling Companion Certificates to certain new areas that Delta is now allowing. I even had one agent tell me the certificate was not valid for that flight.. I told them it was and to go read the rules. They came back and said they had not heard about it and dropped my call... (I guess, so I can't do the survey)..

Good luck folks!
Firstboss likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2024, 8:17 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles (DM), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium, LTP)
Originally Posted by Scuba_Flyer
Ok folks, If you are going to TRY and use a new (2024) Delta/Amex companion certificate that "should" work, there appears to be a bug in their system (Delta's words). I've been trying to set up travel to Roatan (RTB) which, by all accounts, including the Delta reps, should be working, does not. The website says it's not valid. I spent hours on the phone with the Delta Reservations people and they agree it should work but does not. They claim they have opened a support ticket with the back end people but can not give me a clue when it might be resolved. Their only comment was that I was the first to find this and if only one ticket is opened, it will take a long time for it to be resolved (squeaky wheel gets the grease)...

So, I figured I'd open a complaint on Delta's website. Well, it was closed because it was not an issue with a current ticket (which, I can't get because of a bug in their system).

So, I figured I'd post out here to let others know, they might have trouble scheduling Companion Certificates to certain new areas that Delta is now allowing. I even had one agent tell me the certificate was not valid for that flight.. I told them it was and to go read the rules. They came back and said they had not heard about it and dropped my call... (I guess, so I can't do the survey)..

Good luck folks!
Have the new Certs even been issued yet? I believe they are only being issued for renewal dates on or after 2/1/2024? Any Cert issued before that will be limited to the old rules.
lindros2 likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2024, 8:39 am
Original Poster

Yes, at least in my account, I have last years (2023) and this years (2024) companion certificates. I made sure to use the "new" (2024) for my attempts.
Old Feb 10, 2024, 9:23 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM
Originally Posted by Scuba_Flyer
Yes, at least in my account, I have last years (2023) and this years (2024) companion certificates. I made sure to use the "new" (2024) for my attempts.
I'm not sure you understood chipbennett's question. Have you received a NEW certificate since 2/1/24, which was only 9 days ago? This certificate wouldn't expire until February of 2025. The rule changes do not apply to certificates you already had in your account before 2/1/24. Somebody found language to that effect on DL's website, maybe in the T&Cs, but I'm too lazy to try to find it.

If you did receive a new cert in the last 9 days, then I'd guess that DL's systems haven't been updated to accommodate it yet.

I tried to book a flight to Hawaii with an older certificate and got the same error you did. I have to wait until I earn my next certificate, which is in May.
Old Feb 10, 2024, 9:35 am

Originally Posted by safigan
I'm not sure you understood chipbennett's question. Have you received a NEW certificate since 2/1/24, which was only 9 days ago? This certificate wouldn't expire until February of 2025. The rule changes do not apply to certificates you already had in your account before 2/1/24. Somebody found language to that effect on DL's website, maybe in the T&Cs, but I'm too lazy to try to find it.

If you did receive a new cert in the last 9 days, then I'd guess that DL's systems haven't been updated to accommodate it yet.

I tried to book a flight to Hawaii with an older certificate and got the same error you did. I have to wait until I earn my next certificate, which is in May.
Exactly:

Refer to date: Companion Certs issued on or after February 1, 2024.
https://mynewdeltaamex.com/
bladerunner6 likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2024, 9:35 am
Original Poster

Yes, I completely understood chipbennett's post. I've too new to the forums so I'm not able to post a picture of my certificate but the experation date on the Certificate is 2/28/2025. I stated it was a NEW certificate in the first post.
Old Feb 10, 2024, 10:51 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM
OK then you're one of the first to receive a cert subject to the new rules. It appears DL IT is running behind. If that's the case then your fate is in the hands of some programmer deep in the bowels of DL's organization. It would be nice to get a data point of a successful use of this cert, but so far I haven't seen anything posted on this forum.
Old Feb 10, 2024, 11:32 am

Programs: DL Gold, HHDiamond, IHG Plat Regular Joe Everywhere Else
Hopefully it will get resolved.
Old Feb 10, 2024, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
OK then you're one of the first to receive a cert subject to the new rules. It appears DL IT is running behind.
Just remember, it's been years since valid First classes changed from I/A to I/Z and it still isn't fixed everywhere. I would not get your hopes up too high.
hurnik likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2024, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Which days are you trying and what class of service? Did you verify there is inventory for two seats in permitted fare classes first (L/U/T/X/V for coach and I/Z for FC).
Old Feb 10, 2024, 2:12 pm

Try booking a dummy domestic ticket first. Then call in to a supervisor to have it manually changed to RTB on flights that are available in LUTXV and note to the agent that the new certs are eligible. They can do this manually. Several times I have used the certs for Canada (not normally permitted) due to IROPS and weather waivers and it took 2 seconds for them to change BUF to YYZ.
Old Feb 10, 2024, 6:41 pm
g50

Programs: DL DM 2MM, AA LTP, Hyatt Globalist, FB Plat
Mine expires on 2/28/25 too. But checking my email, I received it on 1/16/24.

Cert says "...on published routings within the 48 contiguous United States."
chipbennett likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2024, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by g50
Mine expires on 2/28/25 too. But checking my email, I received it on 1/16/24.

Cert says "...on published routings within the 48 contiguous United States."
Thanks for info. It sounds like OP likely has a pre rule change Cert. You need to check issue date and cert T&Cs, not just the Redem By date for the Cert (since they are actually good for more than a year).

g50 likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2024, 5:48 am
g50

Programs: DL DM 2MM, AA LTP, Hyatt Globalist, FB Plat
Old Feb 11, 2024, 7:39 am

OK then you're one of the first to receive a cert subject to the new rules. It appears DL IT is running behind. If that's the case then your fate is in the hands of some programmer deep in the bowels of DL's organization. It would be nice to get a data point of a successful use of this cert, but so far I haven't seen anything posted on this forum.
OP has indicated the expiration date of the cert. What is the issue date? (Probably reasonable to assume on/after Feb 1, given the expiration date; just being thorough.) And, I definitely wouldn't put it past Delta IT to have issues with these new certs, initially.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.