New Diamond questions-Ver2.1

Old Jan 3, 2024, 2:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
New Diamond questions-Ver2.1

Good evening from our Oslo, Norway Christmas trip.

After 20+ years AA EXP, back with DL! I’m having to learn a whole new vocabulary and set of acronyms. But not sorry!

Today’s question revolves around GU’s and RU’s.

They appear to to be similar to AA’s EVIP/SWU, which were usable anytime, anywhere. However, AA’s revenue management eventually made them worthless (to me.) Sitting on waitlist for 6-9 months for a last minute, “maybe” gate upgrades not a benefit facing a 8-12 hour flight.

70%of my travel now is international, so I think the GUs are what I should choose. Planning 6-9 months out, what are my chances of confirmed space? What a about partner airlines (AF specifically)? Since I don’t know what I don’t know, is there anything else I should be asking? Any “secrets”? Any help vastly appreciated!

Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 3, 2024, 3:26 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, Hilton Honors, Amtrak Guest Rewards
If willing to buy Premium Economy (not Comfort+), the GUC will clear into revenue Z space. Otherwise it will clear you into PE and wait-list. On the remaining few longhauls without a PE cabin, you clear from Main/C+ into revenue Z, but most/all of the ships without PE have lackluster J products (ex-LATAM or 763).

The GUCs can also, as a last resort, be used on domestic itineraries to clear into F on a last seat available basis.
becks1 likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2024, 4:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
Thanks for the quick response.

Follow up question: If I book and pay for business, can I use the GU to upgrade to “real” F? AF “La Premier “ for example 🙀?
Old Jan 3, 2024, 4:16 pm

Programs: DL DM, 2 MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Dallas49er
Thanks for the quick response.

Follow up question: If I book and pay for business, can I use the GU to upgrade to “real” F? AF “La Premier “ for example 🙀?
Unfortunately no. The DL GUC does not allow going from AF business to La Premiere. As a matter of fact, I am not aware of any upgrade instruments that gets you into AF La Premiere. Even if you were to redeem an insane amount of Flying Blue miles, it is only available for FB Platinum and Ultimate members.
JBJ2435 and becks1 like this.
Old Jan 3, 2024, 5:05 pm

Programs: 2024: Delta SkyMiles Diamond, Hilton Honors Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
Moving to the GUC thread.

Last edited by rdrakea; Jan 3, 2024 at 6:03 pm Reason: moving to appropriate thread
Old Jan 3, 2024, 5:26 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
They're still very easy to use on KLM. Book any non-basic economy fare, upgrade into Z class, searchable on expertflyer and relatively plentiful.

Agents tend not to know how to use them on KL, so you may need to try a few times (I've had good luck on the messaging service lately).
becks1 likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2024, 5:35 pm

Programs: DL DM, 2 MM; OW Emerald; MVP Gold 100k;Marriott/SPG LTPlat; HH Diamond
Originally Posted by SamOF
They're still very easy to use on KLM. Book any non-basic economy fare, upgrade into Z class, searchable on expertflyer and relatively plentiful.

Agents tend not to know how to use them on KL, so you may need to try a few times (I've had good luck on the messaging service lately).
Good to know, thank you.
Old Jan 3, 2024, 6:19 pm

Thanks. I just booked this with my GUC. How bad is KLM business class from AMS>ATL? D1 wasn’t available on DL metal for a GUC upgrade (it was only waitlist).

Last edited by sydneyracquelle; Jan 3, 2024 at 6:48 pm
Old Jan 3, 2024, 6:26 pm

Programs: Delta DM, United Silver, Marriott LT Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist

Does it work on KL AMS-XYZ where XYZ is not served by DL?

Any non-basic economy fare will immediately clear to J if there is Z availability?
Old Jan 3, 2024, 7:25 pm

Programs: AS100k, DL Diamond, MarriottAmb, FlyingBlueSilver
Originally Posted by Dallas49er
Good evening from our Oslo, Norway Christmas trip.

After 20+ years AA EXP, back with DL! I’m having to learn a whole new vocabulary and set of acronyms. But not sorry!

Today’s question revolves around GU’s and RU’s.

They appear to to be similar to AA’s EVIP/SWU, which were usable anytime, anywhere. However, AA’s revenue management eventually made them worthless (to me.) Sitting on waitlist for 6-9 months for a last minute, “maybe” gate upgrades not a benefit facing a 8-12 hour flight.

70%of my travel now is international, so I think the GUs are what I should choose. Planning 6-9 months out, what are my chances of confirmed space? What a about partner airlines (AF specifically)? Since I don’t know what I don’t know, is there anything else I should be asking? Any “secrets”? Any help vastly appreciated!

Thanks in advance.
They are much easier to use then AA’s SWU’s… Easier and more availability at time of booking. When your buying a Delta flight on you can easily see in your search on Delta site if there is D1 space confirmed at time of booking. For AF/KLM there is pretty good availability there too.. Best way to know is get expert flyer subscription to search for it.

Originally Posted by arunhn
Unfortunately no. The DL GUC does not allow going from AF business to La Premiere. As a matter of fact, I am not aware of any upgrade instruments that gets you into AF La Premiere. Even if you were to redeem an insane amount of Flying Blue miles, it is only available for FB Platinum and Ultimate members.
Correct, mileage redemption not available unless you have one of those status’s… You can get offers to pay cash to upgrade into LaPremiere if your in business class, but they are substantial increases for most long haul flights.

Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
Thanks. I just booked this with my GUC. How bad is KLM business class from AMS>ATL? D1 wasn’t available on DL metal for a GUC upgrade (it was only waitlist).
I would say its very good if your on the 787-10 and better then any Dl A350 (which i consider Deltas best). That comprises the whole experience.. (cabin, menu, service, seat)…
emma dog and awonderer like this.
Old Jan 3, 2024, 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by FenwayTim
They are much easier to use then AA’s SWU’s… Easier and more availability at time of booking. When your buying a Delta flight on you can easily see in your search on Delta site if there is D1 space confirmed at time of booking. For AF/KLM there is pretty good availability there too.. Best way to know is get expert flyer subscription to search for it.

Correct, mileage redemption not available unless you have one of those status’s… You can get offers to pay cash to upgrade into LaPremiere if your in business class, but they are substantial increases for most long haul flights.

I would say its very good if your on the 787-10 and better then any Dl A350 (which i consider Deltas best). That comprises the whole experience.. (cabin, menu, service, seat)…
It says 787-10. GUC was available from main cabin right to business as there is no premium select cabin offered.
FenwayTim and ebayj like this.
Old Jan 3, 2024, 7:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I probably wouldn't count on this lasting indefinitely now that KL is deploying PE (Premium Comfort) cabins on their aircraft. https://www.klm.com/information/trav...rt-class-seats
TechMarauder and hhdl like this.
Old Jan 3, 2024, 9:51 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Gold, Marriott Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
It says 787-10. GUC was available from main cabin right to business as there is no premium select cabin offered.
KL 78X is a phenomenal J class product. You'll enjoy your flight.
Old Jan 3, 2024, 9:53 pm

Programs: DL DM
Just be careful with GUCs and RUCs booked far in advance. Yes, the inventory needed to clear instantly might be available at booking, but with DL’s frequent schedule changes, you run the risk of having your cleared upgrade either not transfer to your new flight, or be subject to having to “reclear” if you have to change your itinerary around due to a schedule change (or of course if you needed to change your itinerary on your own for whatever reason). Not saying it happens everytime, but plenty of datapoints on here showing it does.

After 3 years of dealing with the hassles of RUCs I’ve decided to move away from them. But when I used them, I found using them on flights 30-60 days in the future was the sweet spot. Far enough out there was still Z inventory to clear, but close enough in schedule changes were not likely.

But regardless of whatever you choose, welcome back to DL! I flew AA last month in F for the first time in years, and while there were some high points, I wasn’t that impressed.
DrMilano likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2024, 5:49 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA Gold/1MM, AS MVP 100K, AA Gold
Originally Posted by GagaPilot
Just be careful with GUCs and RUCs booked far in advance. Yes, the inventory needed to clear instantly might be available at booking, but with DL’s frequent schedule changes, you run the risk of having your cleared upgrade either not transfer to your new flight, or be subject to having to “reclear” if you have to change your itinerary around due to a schedule change (or of course if you needed to change your itinerary on your own for whatever reason). Not saying it happens everytime, but plenty of datapoints on here showing it does.

After 3 years of dealing with the hassles of RUCs I’ve decided to move away from them. But when I used them, I found using them on flights 30-60 days in the future was the sweet spot. Far enough out there was still Z inventory to clear, but close enough in schedule changes were not likely.

This is a very important point. I have used all of my GUCs on AF or KL since the beginning. If nothing changes, it’s a great value. But when there is a schedule change, you typically must have Z class available on the ‘new’ flight to ‘keep’ your upgrade even after reticketing. I’ve still been able to find space +/- 1 day but don’t assume you will be protected if AF or KL change schedules 15-21 days before your flight as they seem to be doing more often (and is permissible by EU regulation as long as it is 14 days in advance). This isn’t as big of a deal if you are going US-Europe (with multiple hub-europe city flights/day) but for longer flights like I’ve taken to Africa, Middle East, Asia it can be more challenging.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.