Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Another diversion to a remote Canadian airport?

Old Dec 20, 2023, 10:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold

(I thought) it happed again! DL21 (LHR-SEA) diverted today to YKM, which is obviously a remote Canadian airport no one's ever heard of. Except it's not. Turns out YKM is one of the "Y" exceptions and it's in Washington state.

The flight circled over SEA for a while before diverting, so I'm guessing weather. I assume DL sent rescue busses since the A339 is about to fly YKM-LAX
Old Dec 20, 2023, 10:26 pm

They dont get too many A339s in YKM. Surprised they even had the stairs to get passengers off the plane.
Old Dec 20, 2023, 10:41 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles

Programs: DL (duh), AA 1MM, Bonvoy Titanium, HH Diamond
Boeing has a major presence in YKM its
more resourced than youd otherwise expect.
Old Dec 20, 2023, 10:42 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
That is a weird one for sure. The sign says Palm Springs of Washington
Old Dec 20, 2023, 10:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Mountain Explorer
The flight circled over SEA for a while before diverting, so I'm guessing weather. I assume DL sent rescue busses since the A339 is about to fly YKM-LAX
Are you sure that the passengers were allowed off the plane? YKM does not appear to be an airport of entry, although I suppose that CBP could have dispatched agents there if necessary.
Old Dec 20, 2023, 10:47 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Prfrence
YKM's main runway, 9/27, is 7,604 feet long, so presumably it could handle a large jet in a pinch.
Old Dec 20, 2023, 10:52 pm

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
For those who don't know, YKM is the airport in Yakima, Washington, about a 2 hour drive from and 100 (air) miles SE of SEA.
BearX220 and dougzz like this.
Old Dec 20, 2023, 11:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
It appears that DL9967 (an A321) is departing SEA for YKM:

https://www.flightaware.com/live/flight/DAL9967
Mountain Explorer likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2023, 11:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by guv1976
Are you sure that the passengers were allowed off the plane? YKM does not appear to be an airport of entry, although I suppose that CBP could have dispatched agents there if necessary.
No idea. The fact that the plane is not continuing to SEA made me think they were offloaded. This extra A321 makes the whole thing even weirder
Old Dec 21, 2023, 1:11 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 100K; Cathay Diamond; Asiana Club Diamond; SkyMiles Diamond Medallion
Pax are not allowed off as Yakima is not under Seattle CBPs jurisdiction and Spokane CBP which handles YKM will take hours to get there. The 321 is probably bringing in crews to operate the 339 down to LAX for CBP clearance then the 339 will continue on to SEA tomorrow. SEA, PDX, SFO, SLC are not 24 hours. Its a long journey for those heading to SEA.

Last edited by sfosuw; Dec 21, 2023 at 1:31 am
Old Dec 21, 2023, 1:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sfosuw
Pax are not allowed off as Yakima is not under Seattle CBPs jurisdiction. Spokane CBP handles YKM and it will take hours for them to get there. The 321 is probably bringing in crews to operate the 339 down to LAX for CBP clearance then the 339 will continue on to SEA tomorrow. Its a long journey for those heading to SEA.
Might have been better going to a remote Canadian airport after all
Old Dec 21, 2023, 2:02 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Pax are not allowed off as Yakima is not under Seattle CBP’s jurisdiction and Spokane CBP which handles YKM will take hours to get there. The 321 is probably bringing in crews to operate the 339 down to LAX for CBP clearance then the 339 will continue on to SEA tomorrow. SEA, PDX, SFO, SLC are not 24 hours. It’s a long journey for those heading to SEA.
I'm wondering what the catering/sanitation situation was, then.

They legit need some sort of Plan B for US citizens in this sort of a situation (call it something like "irregular but permitted entry"). Given that they aren't even collecting declarations at e.g. IAD anymore, and given that almost all airports have scanners that can verify a passport AFAICT, there's no reason they couldn't just set up a Zoom call with someone from CBP, have someone from the TSA (or another agency/police force) run the scans, and wave Americans through. Foreigners are a bit trickier, but even there it would seem to be plausible to shrink it down to a handful of possible "questionables" plus folks here on certain types of visas...

...and of course, there's always the option to round up buses and put someone on the bus to ride to a relevant airport. Honestly, if you cleared US citizens plus recognized foreign TTC holders off the flight, there's every chance you could get this down to one or two buses, tops, needing to go to Seattle.

Edit: Actually, serious question: At least on paper, could SPK just...I dunno, agree to allow SEA to handle it, juris-my-diction crap aside (to quote The Matrix)?
Old Dec 21, 2023, 2:10 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 100K; Cathay Diamond; Asiana Club Diamond; SkyMiles Diamond Medallion
Originally Posted by GrayAnderson
They legit need some sort of Plan B for US citizens in this sort of a situation (call it something like "irregular but permitted entry"). Given that they aren't even collecting declarations at e.g. IAD anymore, and given that almost all airports have scanners that can verify a passport AFAICT, there's no reason they couldn't just set up a Zoom call with someone from CBP, have someone from the TSA (or another agency/police force) run the scans, and wave Americans through. Foreigners are a bit trickier, but even there it would seem to be plausible to shrink it down to a handful of possible "questionables" plus folks here on certain types of visas...
Even if its doable, this will only take care the immigration side of the inspection. There is still customs and agricultural concerns that need to be addressed.
Old Dec 21, 2023, 2:21 am
Original Poster

Oh boy! YKM-LAX is now cancelled. They're gonna spend the night at YKM (onboard???) and fly YKM-SEA in the morning: https://www.flightaware.com/live/flight/DAL9977
Old Dec 21, 2023, 3:38 am

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Even if its doable, this will only take care the immigration side of the inspection. There is still customs and agricultural concerns that need to be addressed.

Customs is a joke now, basically one person off to the side you talk to if needed - They are literally an afterthought - agricultural concerns are an issue - but on something like this - maybe aunt jenny and her orange tree sapling make it in.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.