Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta upping Austin's "Focus City" Status (new routes)

Old Dec 15, 2023, 8:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum; Hilton Diamond; Marriot Gold

Delta announced this morning that they are boosting AUS flights.

Two new destinations announced: Midland-Odessa (MAF) and McAllen (MFE); 3x daily (2x Saturday)
Increased service to Nashville, Raleigh, and Cincinnati.

A total of 11 new peak-day flights from Austin-Bergstrom International Airport (AUS) starting April 22.

Full story here: https://news.delta.com/deltas-texas-...s-added-austin

I'll be interested to see if Delta files new fare rules that list AUS as a connection point to MAF and MFE; right now I don't think AUS is a legal connection point for any flights. But I'm glad to see them finally making a play in Austin!
IggySD, indufan and matchbox20_is like this.
Old Dec 15, 2023, 8:50 am

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
Originally Posted by Pianoman109876

I'll be interested to see if Delta files new fare rules that list AUS as a connection point to MAF and MFE; right now I don't think AUS is a legal connection point for any flights. But I'm glad to see them finally making a play in Austin!
I'm certain they will. DL doesn't serve MAF and MFE currently. AUS will be the only possible connecting point for flights from those cities. I can't imagine DL is planning to sustain MAF-AUS and MFE-AUS on O&D.
Air Houston likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2023, 9:08 am

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
I'm looking forward to flying to MAF, as I have business in Midland.

AUS has a fantastic SkyClub. Any excuse to fly through AUS is a good one.
Old Dec 15, 2023, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum MM; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ty97
I'm certain they will. DL doesn't serve MAF and MFE currently. AUS will be the only possible connecting point for flights from those cities. I can't imagine DL is planning to sustain MAF-AUS and MFE-AUS on O&D.
I flew from SAT-MFE (connecting), SAT-HRL (mostly nonstop), and SAT-BRO (connecting) regularly for many years. I'd expect AUS-MFE will be sustainable on O&D only. There is significant business travel from Texas's major cities to the Valley. Lots of medical professionals, legal professionals, engineers, contractors, sales reps, and other business folks on those flights, many as day-trippers, many are regulars, and many are fairly price insensitive.

AUS-HRL is served nonstop by WN (double daily), but AUS-MFE currently requires a connection at IAH or backtracking through DFW, which will make the nonstop much more appealing. In addition, AUS-MFE will peel off some of the AUS-HRL traffic because MFE is the more useful Valley destination for most business travelers. Vacationers headed for Padre Island will likely prefer HRL.
Old Dec 15, 2023, 10:33 am

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by Pianoman109876
Years ago I was offered award ticket routings that connected through Austin.

David
Old Dec 15, 2023, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
I think this is DLs first venture to MAF. I flew there on HP years ago....one a crazy routing IND-PHX-MAF. They did have ATL-MFE and I flew it several times. I have been pretty vocal here about Delta's opportunity with AUS to serve South and West Texas, especially and build a hub in one of the fastest growing markets in the country. On the downside, I am not sure those South and West Texas markets are loaded with disposable income but Austin is.
Old Dec 15, 2023, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DiverDave
Years ago I was offered award ticket routings that connected through Austin.

David
Award bookings are not subject to the same routing rules as revenue fares. It's also not unusual to see broken fare award options as well (DL can offer these on revenue fares at time as well, but is more restrictive on these). Broken fares are not subject to the routing rules of single component through fares. CVG and RDU are offered as valid routings on certain fares, but not currently seeing anything for AUS.

DiverDave likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2023, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
DiverDave likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2023, 12:10 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
I guess Delta is stepping in where American opened up space.

https://www.statesman.com/story/news...s/71474604007/

Maybe a poor man's replacement for the old DFW hub. I wonder if Delta would have abandoned that hub if they had any idea of the enormous growth that was coming to that area.

Davide
Old Dec 15, 2023, 2:46 pm

Programs: AA,SPG, Delta, Amtrak, JB
Should we expect to see Virgin back in Austin then?
Old Dec 15, 2023, 3:28 pm

Programs: Non-Affiliated

Maybe a poor man's replacement for the old DFW hub. I wonder if Delta would have abandoned that hub if they had any idea of the enormous growth that was coming to that area.

Davide
I don't see how Delta didn't see it coming (if they didn't).
Old Dec 15, 2023, 4:14 pm

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
Originally Posted by AJNEDC
Should we expect to see Virgin back in Austin then?
If DL decides to build up Austin to the point of launching international, it should be CDG for onward connections (or take over KLM's AMS flights).
Old Dec 15, 2023, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I think AUS needs to put a lot of infrastructure work into the airport and terminals to handle more traffic... the place was a total mess multiple times last year with massive lines and packed terminals.
Ascii, FenwayTim and cmd320 like this.
Old Dec 15, 2023, 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by rylan
I think AUS needs to put a lot of infrastructure work into the airport and terminals to handle more traffic... the place was a total mess multiple times last year with massive lines and packed terminals.
And more roads around Austin!!!! Traffic on 35 is terrible. The Toll road on the east side helps. Austin/San Antonio growing immensely. I see this as a good and bold move by Delta.
cmd320 likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2023, 8:30 pm

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others

Davide
Don't think that it was about not seeing the growth coming to DFW as much as it was DFW not making them money. I believe I've read that DL had lost money nine of the prior 12 years at DFW, plus their fares there were subject to steady attacks from Southwest. 2005 DL did not have the capital or the resources to continue losing money there - they needed to cut back to survive.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.