FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Tracking MM miles for starting in 2024 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/2143314-tracking-mm-miles-starting-2024-a.html)

duckgo Dec 5, 2023 10:23 am

Tracking MM miles for starting in 2024

I have searched for this topic, but no luck: How are Million Miler miles going to be earned under new program? Without MQD's anymore, will the MM levels accrue JUST on miles flown? If so, does that mean no difference b/t first class flight booking (2x or 1.5x MQM now), and Main cabin? Will there no longer be any mile multiples for Status levels (e.g. PM or DM)? If so, then we would only accrue miles from actual amounts flown with butt in seat?

JBJ2435 Dec 5, 2023 11:52 am

From Delta on the "enhancements": "Beginning January 1, 2024, Million Miler Status will be earned via flight miles flown (excluding Basic Economy fares) and added to your total Million Miler balance. Any MQMs already earned toward Million Miler Status will remain."

ATOBTTR Dec 5, 2023 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by duckgo (Post 35797688)
I have searched for this topic, but no luck: How are Million Miler miles going to be earned under new program? Without MQD's anymore, will the MM levels accrue JUST on miles flown? If so, does that mean no difference b/t first class flight booking (2x or 1.5x MQM now), and Main cabin? Will there no longer be any mile multiples for Status levels (e.g. PM or DM)? If so, then we would only accrue miles from actual amounts flown with butt in seat?

Yep - it will be just distance flown. All fares, will earn 1 mile towards MMer status for each mile flown (except BE fares, which won't earn anything). What remains to be seen (at least to me - maybe others know) is if the 500 mile minimum will remain or not.

cygnus Dec 5, 2023 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by ATOBTTR (Post 35798082)
Yep - it will be just distance flown. All fares, will earn 1 mile towards MMer status for each mile flown (except BE fares, which won't earn anything). What remains to be seen (at least to me - maybe others know) is if the 500 mile minimum will remain or not.

What's also unclear to me is how miles flown on other sykteam carriers will count - especially given the transatlantic joint venture.

josephstern Dec 5, 2023 1:42 pm

And there's the question of miles from award tickets.

FlyerAVL Dec 5, 2023 6:27 pm

I would assume they try to be like united, BIS miles and no BIS earning on award tickets. Only earn BIS miles on United/United Express metal, if you have any MileagePlus(silver or higher) status you get a minimum of 500 miles per flight.

josephstern Dec 5, 2023 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by FlyerAVL (Post 35798979)
I would assume they try to be like united, BIS miles and no BIS earning on award tickets. Only earn BIS miles on United/United Express metal, if you have any MileagePlus(silver or higher) status you get a minimum of 500 miles per flight.

I definitely do not think that's a safe assumption at all.

DeltaFFATL Dec 5, 2023 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by josephstern (Post 35798305)
And there's the question of miles from award tickets.

​​​​​
I don't see why this would be any different than today where a mile flown is a mile flown. On pretty much all tickets today, paid and award tickets, except for basic economy ones, you earn one RDM and MQM, which translates to one mile toward your MM balance.

Why would they suddenly eliminate award travel earning credit for distance to MM status, when they made this feature permanently and for the '24 year are expanding the MQD earning to partners awards? Distance would most certainly be something earned toward MM status.

xliioper Dec 5, 2023 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by DeltaFFATL (Post 35799127)
​​​​​
I don't see why this would be any different than today where a mile flown is a mile flown. On pretty much all tickets today, paid and award tickets, except for basic economy ones, you earn one RDM and MQM, which translates to one mile toward your MM balance.

Why would they suddenly eliminate award travel earning credit for distance to MM status, when they made this feature permanently and for the '24 year are expanding the MQD earning to partners awards? Distance would most certainly be something earned toward MM status.

Mostly true except it's been many years since one mile flown equals one RDM on DL marketed flights. Also, they have never awarded RDM on award bookings (only MQM and MQD). I don't think there will be any dramatic changes for MM earning next year other than likely no class of service bonus. I could see them dropping MM/MQD earning on partner Light revenue fares at some point (to match no earning on DL BE fares). They mentioned there will be no MQD earning on BE awards on partner metal even though they don't actually offer any BE awards on partner metal yet.

sethb Dec 5, 2023 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by DeltaFFATL (Post 35799127)
​​​​​

You don't earn on RDM/mile, you earn based on fare. And MQMs are subject to various multipliers for class of service.

I'd expect (or at least hope) that they'll still count miles flown on award travel.

FlyingBeanCounter Dec 5, 2023 9:57 pm

FWIW partner metal is big zero on UA. I just flew LH (non-016) and got zero credit for it in the lifetime miles.

If DL does that I guess I wont ever hit 2MM. I fly partner airlines often.

lsquare Dec 5, 2023 11:15 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingBeanCounter (Post 35799339)
FWIW partner metal is big zero on UA. I just flew LH (non-016) and got zero credit for it in the lifetime miles.

If DL does that I guess I wont ever hit 2MM. I fly partner airlines often.

DL already said partner flights will count so that will help, but no details yet.

UA is so much harder because only UA metal flights count.

FlyingBeanCounter Dec 6, 2023 1:15 am

Originally Posted by lsquare (Post 35799438)
DL already said partner flights will count so that will help, but no details yet.

UA is so much harder because only UA metal flights count.

That is pretty random.

I am surprised at the airlines. Do they really think we don't know they would dump this whole nonsense in a second if they could get away with it? DL at least was up front that they want out. UA and AA still think we are stupid.

josephstern Dec 6, 2023 8:16 am

Originally Posted by FlyingBeanCounter (Post 35799547)
That is pretty random.

I am surprised at the airlines. Do they really think we don't know they would dump this whole nonsense in a second if they could get away with it? DL at least was up front that they want out. UA and AA still think we are stupid.

How is Delta saying they "want out"?

They did make it harder to earn MM status, but also MUCH more rewarding.

rylan Dec 6, 2023 8:35 am

Originally Posted by josephstern (Post 35800148)
How is Delta saying they "want out"?

Did you miss the whole initial announcement of the changes/gutting of the skymiles program back in Sept? It was made clear what DL's long term vision is for the program and elites... they just got so much backlash they had to do a mea culpa.