Ever Escalating C+ Prices

Old Nov 29, 2023, 8:29 pm
dw
Original Poster

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Ever Escalating C+ Prices

Has anyone else noticed that C+ pricing seems to be out of control now on domestic flights? I thought it was already getting rich when I was seeing $230 over Main Cabin one way on LAX-JFK, but just today I saw $110 one way over Main on LAX-IAH and what really took the cake, $120 one way over Main on LAX-LAS (yes, that is a 45 min flight).

As a Plat, it's not that I am paying these prices, but I am genuinely curious whether DL is actually selling a lot of C+ at these prices... or if with the inflated elite ranks, Diamonds and Platinums are just taking most of the seats and DL is able to find enough suckers to take the rest.
Old Nov 30, 2023, 4:55 am

I was shocked - booked a ticket for my wife this week. DL wanted $109 for ATL-MIA in Comfort+, she was already on an "M" main cabin fare. Delta has really done a great job , for their stockholders, in monetizing these upgrades. However, any medallion or regular delta traveler will admit comfort+ isn't worth more than $30 (and that's being generous)
CPMaverick and ohhleary like this.
Old Nov 30, 2023, 6:17 am

Originally Posted by dw
Has anyone else noticed that C+ pricing seems to be out of control now on domestic flights? I thought it was already getting rich when I was seeing $230 over Main Cabin one way on LAX-JFK, but just today I saw $110 one way over Main on LAX-IAH and what really took the cake, $120 one way over Main on LAX-LAS (yes, that is a 45 min flight).

As a Plat, it's not that I am paying these prices, but I am genuinely curious whether DL is actually selling a lot of C+ at these prices... or if with the inflated elite ranks, Diamonds and Platinums are just taking most of the seats and DL is able to find enough suckers to take the rest.
You forgot, Delta is a Premium airline, with Premium seats, Premium snacks, Premium fare sales, Premium people, Premium experiences, Premium airports, Premium programs for all Premium customers. Comfort+ (a Premium Seating Class) is well worth the fare Premium.
dw, audio-nut, curiouspax and 7 others like this.
Old Nov 30, 2023, 6:18 am

Programs: I've gone underground!
I hope they keep charging more. It makes money for DL and it increases the chances I’ll be able to get a C+ seat when I book a last minute ticket.
DrMilano likes this.
Old Nov 30, 2023, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I'm amazed that anyone is paying that kind of premium for Comfort Plus, but in my experience the marketing trick of "it's still Economy so it's not a wasteful luxury" is strong.

That being said, DL has tiny C+ cabins compared to e.g. UA and I am assuming most of the seats are taken by elites.
boss315 and DrMilano like this.
Old Nov 30, 2023, 8:36 am
dw
Original Poster

Another funny data point- I’m seeing a consistent $90 one way upcharge to C+ on LGA-BOS. That flight doesn’t even get service in the back.

I suppose in a roundabout way it’s a way to make Platinum seem even more valuable over Gold.
Goodoldflyer likes this.
Old Nov 30, 2023, 9:26 am

Yes--if they can sell them at the list price, then all well and good; if not, they can make the elites feel they got something for their status.
Old Nov 30, 2023, 10:45 am
ryw

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium
Anecdotally on some routes it seems like there can be more SDC availability with a C+ seat over a main seat…at least it’s certainly worked in my favor before. I’m not sure how much of a price premium that is worth though!
sethb and bloc0102 like this.
Old Nov 30, 2023, 10:51 am

Programs: DL 2MM/DM, Hilton LT Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriot Titanium
Originally Posted by spongenotbob
You forgot, Delta is a Premium airline, with Premium seats, Premium snacks, Premium fare sales, Premium people, Premium experiences, Premium airports, Premium programs for all Premium customers. Comfort+ (a Premium Seating Class) is well worth the fare Premium.
Forgot Premium Brand Offers (displayed when logging into inflight WiFi portal). How soon until DL marketing goes back to throwing around “best-in-class” and curated experiences?
spongenotbob likes this.
Old Nov 30, 2023, 10:57 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Hilton Honors, Amtrak Guest Rewards
A few things potentially at work here, in no particular order:

* It's pretty common for companies that have done new travel policies in the past decade or so to allow C+ to be expensed
* "Affordable luxury" for leisure travelers
* Anchors the value of clearing into C+ for elites
* If the new upgrade priority means that Diamond who pays for C+ clears to F ahead of Diamond with comped C+, the C+ upcharge is really the "cut the line upcharge"
* Could we see something like "no charge to guest in paid C+/F pax on the same PNR" added to the SkyClub access rules next year?
awonderer likes this.
Old Nov 30, 2023, 11:02 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, GlobalEntry, Admirals Club, United Club
Originally Posted by hhdl
* Could we see something like "no charge to guest in paid C+/F pax on the same PNR" added to the SkyClub access rules next year?
I agree with all your other points. I think this quoted point may have been a good guess before they re-changed the access policies to count days of travel and added additional visits to quotas. But now I don't think the new policy will have any noticeable impact on crowds so I don't think they really want to bring more people into the lounges.
Old Nov 30, 2023, 11:19 am

It’s an MQD accelerator, 200 additional MQDs for only $230!
pgh234, ryw, hhdl and 1 others like this.
Old Nov 30, 2023, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

LAX-LAS looks to be an outlier for West Coast flights. Most C+ fares out of LAX within the West look to be in $30-$40 range above Main Cabin fares.

Old Dec 3, 2023, 6:31 am
dw
Original Poster

Wow looks like JFK-LAX is now a $250 one way upcharge from Main
Old Dec 3, 2023, 9:17 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium & Lifetime Platinum, United Platinum, Delta Silver
IME, the cost of C+ varies substantially based on when you book. In advance, I've seen it as low as $15 for DCA-LGA, $30 for DCA-BOS, $40 for DCA-MIA, and $60 for ATL-SEA. It gets more expensive as C+ seats are occupied closer to the flight and can be ludicrously priced close in. I pay close attention - as a lowly Silver, I'll sometimes buy C+ at the right price if the flight is long enough and I think I'm unlikely to clear the "upgrade"

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.