Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

New way to earn MQDs toward 2025 status via The Window Seat Shop

New way to earn MQDs toward 2025 status via The Window Seat Shop

Old Nov 1, 2023, 6:06 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: PBI
Programs: DL 2.8 MM/PM, AA MM/GLD, Marriott LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Posts: 1,745
New way to earn MQDs toward 2025 status via The Window Seat Shop

Here's an interesting twist. On 11/14, Delta is opening The Window Seat Shop at JFK, as well as online at www.thewindowseatshop.com which will allow you to earn MQDs through purchases of a variety of items. AmEx Skymiles cardholders get earlier access to the online shop than non-card members.

Description below.

Starting 11/14/23, there will be a new way to grow your world.

Inside The Window Seat Shop at JFK, youll find items from many of the destinations Delta flies to. From French chocolate, to mochila bags from Colombia, to spices from Egypt, everything at The Window Seat Shop increases your earn toward 2025 Medallion Status.

Stock up on gifts for the holiday season and get a head start on your 2025 Status. SkyMiles Members can earn $1 Medallion Qualification Dollar (MQD) for each $1 you spend at The Window Seat Shop.

Delta SkyMiles American Express Card Members can purchase items from The Window Seat Shop online right here starting at 12:00AM (ET) on 11/14/23.

Online access for non-Card Members begins on 11/15/23 at 12:00AM (ET).
Firstboss and busdriver11 like this.
pbjag is offline  
Old Nov 1, 2023, 7:07 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Programs: Waffle House DM
Posts: 464
I understand Delta are also offering a plastic surgery option to provide Delta customers with a third nostril, which will earn significantly more miles and be just as useful.
Slow learner is offline  
Old Nov 1, 2023, 7:17 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Sep 2023
Posts: 165
Originally Posted by pbjag
Here's an interesting twist. On 11/14, Delta is opening The Window Seat Shop at JFK, as well as online at www.thewindowseatshop.com which will allow you to earn MQDs through purchases of a variety of items. AmEx Skymiles cardholders get earlier access to the online shop than non-card members.

Description below.

Starting 11/14/23, there will be a new way to grow your world.

Inside The Window Seat Shop at JFK, youll find items from many of the destinations Delta flies to. From French chocolate, to mochila bags from Colombia, to spices from Egypt, everything at The Window Seat Shop increases your earn toward 2025 Medallion Status.

Stock up on gifts for the holiday season and get a head start on your 2025 Status. SkyMiles Members can earn $1 Medallion Qualification Dollar (MQD) for each $1 you spend at The Window Seat Shop.

Delta SkyMiles American Express Card Members can purchase items from The Window Seat Shop online right here starting at 12:00AM (ET) on 11/14/23.

Online access for non-Card Members begins on 11/15/23 at 12:00AM (ET).
Im wondering how it is that you can shop starting on 11/14 and get MQDs for 2025 status? Wouldnt you have to shop on 1/1/24 or later?
busdriver11 is offline  
Old Nov 1, 2023, 7:21 pm
  #4  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 22,701
Kind of reminds me of this old promo from 2010 -- TODAY ONLY (8/31/2010) SkyMall - Spend $500 get 25,000 SkyMiles
What's to stop someone from buying a bunch of stuff off the website for the MQDs and then reselling them on ebay? I'm not sure they really thought this one through (assuming MQD earnings are uncapped).
pbjag and dw like this.

Last edited by xliioper; Nov 1, 2023 at 7:28 pm
xliioper is online now  
Old Nov 1, 2023, 7:27 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Sep 2023
Posts: 165
Originally Posted by xliioper
Kind of reminds me of this old promo from 2010 -- TODAY ONLY (8/31/2010) SkyMall - Spend $500 get 25,000 SkyMiles
What's to stop someone from buying a bunch of stuff off the website for the MQDs and then reselling them on ebay?
Youd likely be losing some money that way. Now purchasing chocolates and goodies for gifts, I can see that. However, if they mark them up too much, forget it.
CPMaverick likes this.
busdriver11 is offline  
Old Nov 1, 2023, 8:17 pm
  #6  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: PBI
Programs: DL 2.8 MM/PM, AA MM/GLD, Marriott LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Posts: 1,745
Originally Posted by busdriver11
Youd likely be losing some money that way. Now purchasing chocolates and goodies for gifts, I can see that. However, if they mark them up too much, forget it.
Depending on the terms, could be fruitful if someone hasn't ordered their corporate/client gifts yet...
busdriver11 likes this.
pbjag is offline  
Old Nov 1, 2023, 8:22 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 4,940
At least DL recognizes that more people would be interested in 2024 MQDs than 2023 with current credit card waivers, etc.
busdriver11 likes this.
sydneyracquelle is online now  
Old Nov 2, 2023, 5:08 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Titanium
Posts: 360
This will be great for end of next year for those of us that are just a few MQDs short from the next level.
AntimonyER is offline  
Old Nov 2, 2023, 10:28 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Georgia
Programs: DL DM/2MM
Posts: 1,009
As usual, the description for this promotion is clear as mud. Especially this part: "get a head start on your 2025 Status." So are they really crediting 2023 spend toward 2025 status? If so, there will be a lot of people who misunderstand this promotion by relying on end-of-year purchases to count toward 2024 status.
busdriver11, pbjag and DiverDave like this.
safigan is offline  
Old Nov 2, 2023, 9:19 pm
  #10  
ffI
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: WAS
Programs: AA EXP2M, DL PM, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
Posts: 4,540
Great option for double dip... convert your DL card to the Reseve today.
Spend 30k on the Window Shop 11/14/23 - put all corporate gifts on the card
Get 30k MQD in Jan 2024 for 2025 status = DM in 2025, when ranks thin out perhaps
(although I think the extensions DMs like me will hang on for a couple of years longer)
Get 15k MQM in 2023 to boost lifetime MQM as well as ? double miles on DL purchases?
....
Originally Posted by safigan
As usual, the description for this promotion is clear as mud. Especially this part: "get a head start on your 2025 Status." So are they really crediting 2023 spend toward 2025 status? If so, there will be a lot of people who misunderstand this promotion by relying on end-of-year purchases to count toward 2024 status.
pbjag likes this.
ffI is offline  
Old Nov 2, 2023, 9:24 pm
  #11  
ffI
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: WAS
Programs: AA EXP2M, DL PM, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
Posts: 4,540
Wow - you are right - I have been around on FT at that time and went through these promos too, but nothing sticks in my mind
Originally Posted by xliioper
Kind of reminds me of this old promo from 2010 -- TODAY ONLY (8/31/2010) SkyMall - Spend $500 get 25,000 SkyMiles
What's to stop someone from buying a bunch of stuff off the website for the MQDs and then reselling them on ebay? I'm not sure they really thought this one through (assuming MQD earnings are uncapped).
This was the classic response then!
Originally Posted by bmchris
Spend $500 on stuff I don't need, of questionable quality and value, and get 25K miles I can't really use. Not exactly for me. Too bad the Bose stuff isn't in this promo.
​​​​​​​
ffI is offline  
Old Nov 3, 2023, 7:43 am
  #12  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: PBI
Programs: DL 2.8 MM/PM, AA MM/GLD, Marriott LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Posts: 1,745
Originally Posted by safigan
As usual, the description for this promotion is clear as mud. Especially this part: "get a head start on your 2025 Status." So are they really crediting 2023 spend toward 2025 status? If so, there will be a lot of people who misunderstand this promotion by relying on end-of-year purchases to count toward 2024 status.
The email from Delta arrived this morning and here is how they are handling this: All MQDs will be automatically deposited into your SkyMiles account on or after January 1, 2024.

There will also be a "limited-edition" custom-engraved baggage tag for Skymiles AmEx holders who visit the JFK shop.

Originally Posted by xliioper
Kind of reminds me of this old promo from 2010 -- TODAY ONLY (8/31/2010) SkyMall - Spend $500 get 25,000 SkyMiles
What's to stop someone from buying a bunch of stuff off the website for the MQDs and then reselling them on ebay? I'm not sure they really thought this one through (assuming MQD earnings are uncapped).

It reminds me of the option in 2010 to earn MQMs by donating to select charities:
Donate at least $250 between December 1 and December 15, 2010, to one or more of the following organizations — AID Atlanta, the Grady Health Foundation or the Washington, DC Martin Luther King, Jr. National Memorial Project — and you’ll receive Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) in your 2010 balance that will apply toward your 2011 Medallion status. Contribute to each charity and earn:
2,500 MQMs for a donation between $250 and $499
-or-
5,000 MQMs for a donation of $500 or more
Better yet, earn up to 15,000 MQMs if you donate $500 or more to each of the three charities.


I was impressed with Delta's using our zeal for MQMs to benefit charitable organizations - but then the following year they turned it into a money grab for themselves by selling MQMs at year-end.

Last edited by pbjag; Nov 3, 2023 at 7:53 am Reason: inserted wrong quote
pbjag is offline  
Old Nov 3, 2023, 8:09 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 4,940
Originally Posted by pbjag
The email from Delta arrived this morning and here is how they are handling this: All MQDs will be automatically deposited into your SkyMiles account on or after January 1, 2024.

There will also be a "limited-edition" custom-engraved baggage tag for Skymiles AmEx holders who visit the JFK shop.




It reminds me of the option in 2010 to earn MQMs by donating to select charities:
Donate at least $250 between December 1 and December 15, 2010, to one or more of the following organizations AID Atlanta, the Grady Health Foundation or the Washington, DC Martin Luther King, Jr. National Memorial Project and youll receive Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) in your 2010 balance that will apply toward your 2011 Medallion status. Contribute to each charity and earn:
2,500 MQMs for a donation between $250 and $499
-or-
5,000 MQMs for a donation of $500 or more
Better yet, earn up to 15,000 MQMs if you donate $500 or more to each of the three charities.


I was impressed with Delta's using our zeal for MQMs to benefit charitable organizations - but then the following year they turned it into a money grab for themselves by selling MQMs at year-end.
I remember donating to all 3 of these charities for the 15k MQM and I still, 13 years later, get annual solicitations from the MLK charity.
pbjag likes this.
sydneyracquelle is online now  
Old Nov 3, 2023, 9:58 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Jul 2022
Posts: 832
Originally Posted by busdriver11
Im wondering how it is that you can shop starting on 11/14 and get MQDs for 2025 status? Wouldnt you have to shop on 1/1/24 or later?
Because Delta runs the shop and will give you the MQDs in 2024.
busdriver11 likes this.
DLHubber is offline  
Old Nov 3, 2023, 3:55 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Posts: 2,990
Remember when Delta focused on having best-in-class operations and not having worse cancellation rates than Spirit and American in the two most recent reporting windows (October report for August, September report for July) instead of setting up overpriced gift shops in hopes of exploiting frequent flyers desperate to chase ever escalating status requirements? I remember.

Oh well, I guess it'll give you a chance to waste money shopping to fully enjoy the Delta Premium Experience while sitting at the airport sitting on a standby list hoping you can get home after your flight was cancelled.
JBJ2435 likes this.
ethernal is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.