Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

First Officer threatens to shoot Captain inflight

Old Oct 31, 2023, 10:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold

A federal grand jury indicted a Delta pilot recently for allegedly threatening to shoot a fellow Delta pilot while flying over Utah in August of last year. The pilots disagreed over whether to divert due to a passenger medical issue. The flight did not divert. FO was authorized to have the gun in the cockpit. The DOT, FAA and FBI are investigating.

https://www.oig.dot.gov/library-item/39680

Old Oct 31, 2023, 10:25 pm
Original Poster

Delta is out with a statement confirming the FO no longer works for Delta. He flew the A320 and worked for Delta for 7 years. TSA confirmed he was removed from the flight deck firearm carry program.

Crazy they managed to keep this under wraps for over a year.
Old Nov 1, 2023, 12:02 am
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Has there ever been any incident where there was some benefit to having a gun in the cockpit? I haven't heard of any. This seems like a silly idea, but I'm sure it made sense to someone.
nancypants, Ascii, HDQDD and 9 others like this.
Old Nov 1, 2023, 12:07 am

Originally Posted by cbn42
Has there ever been any incident where there was some benefit to having a gun in the cockpit? I haven't heard of any. This seems like a silly idea, but I'm sure it made sense to someone.
Well, it sure would have made sense to four crews on hijacked airplanes on 9/11.

If nothing else since then, deterrence is helpful. The terrorists dont know who is an FFDO (armed crew member).
rylan and beckoa like this.
Old Nov 1, 2023, 4:55 am

Too many lunatics with guns.
Old Nov 1, 2023, 5:31 am

Programs: Yeah, well, don’t really care anymore
Not a single incident has been prevented by having (more or less sane) armed pilots in the cockpit. But, on the other hand, there has been an almost endless list of incidents caused by having a (more or less sane) pilot carrying a gun to work.
Old Nov 1, 2023, 6:35 am

its the United States. We think the solution to everything is a gun. We live in this fantasy world thats going to stop a terrorist. And yet somehow other countries that dont allow guns arent having their planes overrun by terrorists. . But we have guns so we are safe. And we actually believe the line of logic.

😞
Old Nov 1, 2023, 6:39 am
formerly jackvogt

Programs: Delta SkyMiles,
Originally Posted by Sheikh Yerbooty
Not a single incident has been prevented by having (more or less sane) armed pilots in the cockpit. But, on the other hand, there has been an almost endless list of incidents caused by having a (more or less sane) pilot carrying a gun to work.
Please provide the this endless list of incidents caused by a pilot having a gun in the cockpit. I have never heard of any.
rylan, mnhusker and dmarge18 like this.
Old Nov 1, 2023, 6:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by Sheikh Yerbooty
I'm not sure the general public would be made aware of any incidents prevented with this program.
Old Nov 1, 2023, 7:24 am
Moderator, Delta Skymiles and Mileage Run

Programs: DL Diamond/MM, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Folks,
This topic is relevant to Delta, however a debate of Guns in America, Guns policies in cockpits etc will not fly. Last and final warning. Keep the thread on topic, or it will be closed.

Ryandc99
Moderator Delta Air Lines
rylan, Repooc17 and Utskicat like this.
Old Nov 1, 2023, 7:30 am

It was a knee jerk program not well thought out. Safety would be much better served if the money had been put into secondary barriers for entry on all cockpits. Time to shut it down.
Old Nov 1, 2023, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
It's impressive that this incident was bottled up for 14 months before finally spilling into public view.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2023, 8:10 am

Originally Posted by BearX220
It's impressive that this incident was bottled up for 14 months before finally spilling into public view.
a premium containment job indeed.
Old Nov 1, 2023, 8:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ATLflyer2017
Please provide the this endless list of incidents caused by a pilot having a gun in the cockpit. I have never heard of any.
More than 50 pilots have been kicked out of the program for violations, including one who threatened to kill himself. https://www.newsweek.com/exclusive-a...program-217288

Accidental discharge inflight: https://abcnews.go.com/US/BusinessTr...ory?id=4513875

Pilot forgets gun in cockpit: https://www.ajc.com/blog/airport/fed...rq0DKDuSDBavK/

This program does more harm than good.
hhdl, Silver Fox, Ascii and 4 others like this.
Old Nov 1, 2023, 8:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If I was that captain, Im not sure I would be satisfied with simply having Delta terminating the FO. Id be worried about my own personal safety, and that of my family.
wrp96 likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.