Remind me the point of status

Old Oct 20, 2023, 12:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM
Remind me the point of status

I had made it to DM for a few years before the MQD requirement and have been PM since then (and will be until 2026). Recently made 1MM (annual GM) and so will drop to that in 2026.

All travel leisure. Book main domestically and business/first over oceans (usually with other miles currencies / alliances). The perk I really do value most is Sky club access, which I pay for with the Amex Platinum (through 2024), and then will purchase an individual membership to keep unlimited entries.

But that might be about it. Upgrades to first are gone. Comfort+ is nothing special ever since they took away the FC snack basket and never brought it back. Lounge access on long haul international is moot since Im in premium cabin anyway. What am I missing?
andrewk829 and becks1 like this.
Old Oct 20, 2023, 12:18 am

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Upgrades to first have been gone for several years now. Why were you a PM for so many years after the MQD requirement?
Old Oct 20, 2023, 1:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by steveholt
Upgrades to first have been gone for several years now. Why were you a PM for so many years after the MQD requirement?
I meant to say before they got rid of $25k Amex spend for MQD waiver for DM.
andrewk829 likes this.
Old Oct 20, 2023, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by steveholt
Upgrades to first have been gone for several years now.
Such BS. I am 80+% this year on upgrades in the second year of my retirement.
Old Oct 20, 2023, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by kamadzu4
...What am I missing?
You'll feel left out - everyone else has it.
Old Oct 20, 2023, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Im in premium cabin anyway
If you're in premium cabin already there is no point of status.
hikouki, BSAChris, FabCW and 1 others like this.
Old Oct 20, 2023, 9:39 am

Originally Posted by indufan
Such BS. I am 80+% this year on upgrades in the second year of my retirement.
Most definitely not BS. It all depends upon where youre traveling to and from. Ive only gotten upgraded one time this year, and that was with a GUC. Same flight, they upgraded my husband with a GUC and in the two minutes it took to wait at the gate, they took it away. Weve gone on 14 flights this year and are both DM. It doesnt matter where you are on the upgrade list (and were often #1 and 2) if there are zero seats available. Glad its working out for you, but for many people, many destinations, zero seats open.

We flew from LAS to SEA yesterday. There were three seats available about three hours prior, and one hour prior, nothing. This keeps happening, and Im trying to figure out why. They didnt upgrade people, and I doubt they put non-revs in there so early. Seems unlikely that people would buy so many FC seats at the last minute, and I didnt see an option to upgrade with $$ or miles that day. Im wondering if there is some window when people are able to get a good deal to upgrade, that I am missing.
Old Oct 20, 2023, 9:42 am

Programs: AA MM EP, QF Gold, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTT, HH Gold, National Exec, Hertz PC
Isn't the point of status to feel like you're better than everyone without it?
pofriri, emma dog, hikouki and 7 others like this.
Old Oct 20, 2023, 10:32 am

Programs: DL Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by busdriver11
Most definitely not BS. It all depends upon where youre traveling to and from. Ive only gotten upgraded one time this year, and that was with a GUC. Same flight, they upgraded my husband with a GUC and in the two minutes it took to wait at the gate, they took it away. Weve gone on 14 flights this year and are both DM. It doesnt matter where you are on the upgrade list (and were often #1 and 2) if there are zero seats available. Glad its working out for you, but for many people, many destinations, zero seats open.

We flew from LAS to SEA yesterday. There were three seats available about three hours prior, and one hour prior, nothing. This keeps happening, and Im trying to figure out why. They didnt upgrade people, and I doubt they put non-revs in there so early. Seems unlikely that people would buy so many FC seats at the last minute, and I didnt see an option to upgrade with $$ or miles that day. Im wondering if there is some window when people are able to get a good deal to upgrade, that I am missing.
SDC is my guess - paid F fares can SDC to any open F/C+ seat on the same day. I've occasionally bought F on later/much cheaper flights (sometimes even less than Y on the earlier flight) and then done a SDC to the flight I actually want.
Red L, ZenFlyer, ryw and 3 others like this.
Old Oct 20, 2023, 10:56 am

Pre-covid sun/mon/thu were impossible days to get upgrades on so not too surprised. I am often surprised at how many people really do purchase a ticket at the very last minute. Often the pricing for F on the short routes to/from SEA is the fare+a fixed price for F i.e. book 6 weeks in advance and you pay $109 main cabin+$99 for a seat in F. 3 days out or 3 hours out you might pay $499 main cabin+$99 for a seat in F. When the price for F is double, its a lot less appealing than when its an extra 20%, so I am not suprised they sell a lot of last minute F seats.
busdriver11 likes this.
Old Oct 20, 2023, 11:00 am

Originally Posted by The Situation
Pre-covid sun/mon/thu were impossible days to get upgrades on so not too surprised. I am often surprised at how many people really do purchase a ticket at the very last minute. Often the pricing for F on the short routes to/from SEA is the fare+a fixed price for F i.e. book 6 weeks in advance and you pay $109 main cabin+$99 for a seat in F. 3 days out or 3 hours out you might pay $499 main cabin+$99 for a seat in F. When the price for F is double, its a lot less appealing than when its an extra 20%, so I am not suprised they sell a lot of last minute F seats.
I just cant think that many people are actually waiting till two hours out to purchase the ticket. You would have to be at the airport already, at that point.
Ryno1234 likes this.
Old Oct 20, 2023, 11:02 am

Originally Posted by skislc
SDC is my guess - paid F fares can SDC to any open F/C+ seat on the same day. I've occasionally bought F on later/much cheaper flights (sometimes even less than Y on the earlier flight) and then done a SDC to the flight I actually want.
That seems very possible, didnt think of that.
Old Oct 20, 2023, 12:41 pm

Programs: DL DM, 2 MM; Hilton Diamond
Don't forget the brag tags. Most valuable perk of all!
Beckles, kamadzu4 and AJNEDC like this.
Old Oct 20, 2023, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
We flew from LAS to SEA yesterday. There were three seats available about three hours prior, and one hour prior, nothing. This keeps happening, and I’m trying to figure out why. They didn’t upgrade people, and I doubt they put non-revs in there so early. Seems unlikely that people would buy so many FC seats at the last minute, and I didn’t see an option to upgrade with $$ or miles that day. I’m wondering if there is some window when people are able to get a good deal to upgrade, that I am missing.
Two possible reasons:
1) As noted above, SDC
2) Targeted, cheap buy-up offers to non-status passengers who opted to accept at check-in. Unfortunately just because you didn't see an option doesn't mean other passengers weren't offered buy-up options

Originally Posted by enviroian
If you're in premium cabin already there is no point of status.
If you can buy F/J on every flight you take, this is (mostly) true. Bot not everyone can. For some us, our travel is often a mix of Y and F/J. Perhaps personal travel is in Y while work travel is often in F/J and the benefits come in handy when traveling in Y for personal travel. Or vise versa, as is often the case for me. A lot of my personal travel these days is in F/J but my employer (the US Government) only pays for Y. Sometimes I buy-up to F or J but sometimes I can't. Status earned in part from my personal travel makes the work travel more bearable.

Also, F/J doesn't come with some benefits like priority phone line access. Booked in F/J but trying to call to get assistance when ATL or the northeast is hit with severe weather? Your F/J ticket is meaningless for trying to get through to an agent.
BSAChris, ryw and busdriver11 like this.
Old Oct 20, 2023, 1:01 pm

Programs: DL Plat, AS MVPG, Bonvoy Plat/LT Gold, HH Diamond
What am I missing?
Sounds like youre not missing anything, as the key status benefits really dont have a lot of value for you.

I get enough out of Plat to maintain it. I WFBF for leisure but put value on the C+ at booking (and the occasional upgrade) for work travel. Ive been able to use 3/4 RUCs this year on routes whered Id have bought F so see that as worth a few hundred $.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.