FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   SkyClub change - would the $75k threshold drop? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/2138356-skyclub-change-would-75k-threshold-drop.html)

DCflyer1222 Oct 14, 2023 11:52 am

SkyClub change - would the $75k threshold drop?

Howdy, as we await the news from Delta on whatever rollback they'll do on status changes, I was curious - do we think we'll see them (DL/Amex) lower the $75,000 threshold for unlimited access. I am a huge SkyClub/Amex lounge fan. However, wouldn't' a $25k-$30k limit be much more reasonable and understandable for most consumers - I'm really trying to force myself to figure out if it really will be worth it to put all my family's spending on a vanilla platinum (I do not care for the reserve card)

ATLCDG Oct 14, 2023 11:56 am

Originally Posted by DCflyer1222 (Post 35663592)
Howdy, as we await the news from Delta on whatever rollback they'll do on status changes, I was curious - do we think we'll see them (DL/Amex) lower the $75,000 threshold for unlimited access. I am a huge SkyClub/Amex lounge fan. However, wouldn't' a $25k-$30k limit be much more reasonable and understandable for most consumers - I'm really trying to force myself to figure out if it really will be worth it to put all my family's spending on a vanilla platinum (I do not care for the reserve card)

I am doubtful this one will change as many believe this is AMEX driven. It may be that they add a few more visits. 75k is the same limit AMEX put on Priority Pass Centurian Lounge for the normal AMEX plat card earlier in the year.

dw Oct 14, 2023 12:00 pm

On the vanilla Amex Plat, I doubt it because they’ve already set $75k as the threshold to bring complimentary guests into the Centurion Lounge.

And I think we’re seeing two separate sets of interests at play here, aside from reducing SkyClub crowding.

For DL, setting the $75k threshold on the Reserve card helps them boost Amex spend and their Amex revenue.

While the $75k threshold on the vanilla Amex Plat of course helps Amex with increased interchange fees, I suspect the real motivation is to reduce the reimbursements they are giving to DL for lounge access, especially for card members who don’t put a lot of spend on their Plat cards.

DCflyer1222 Oct 14, 2023 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by dw (Post 35663608)
On the vanilla Amex Plat, I doubt it because they’ve already set $75k as the threshold to bring complimentary guests into the Centurion Lounge.

And I think we’re seeing two separate sets of interests at play here, aside from reducing SkyClub crowding.

For DL, setting the $75k threshold on the Reserve card helps them boost Amex spend and their Amex revenue.

While the $75k threshold on the vanilla Amex Plat of course helps Amex with increased interchange fees, I suspect the real motivation is to reduce the reimbursements they are giving to DL for lounge access, especially for card members who don’t put a lot of spend on their Plat cards.

Could they make the $75k more worthwhile - by saying if you hit that - you can bring guests or does that go back to creating big problems?

dw Oct 14, 2023 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by DCflyer1222 (Post 35663619)
Could they make the $75k more worthwhile - by saying if you hit that - you can bring guests or does that go back to creating big problems?

Doubt it, because Amex wants people to add AUs for the fee revenue. Once someone hits the $75k on either the vanilla Plat or the Reserve, then their AUs also get unlimited access

ATOBTTR Oct 14, 2023 12:18 pm

Could be wrong but I doubt they change it. My speculation is they’ll throw in some incremental spend incentive like “get X additional visits for every $Y in card spend - maybe in increments of $15K or $25K so it works out in even increments up to $75K where you’d then get unlimited visits.

MCO Flyer Oct 14, 2023 12:22 pm

On the Plat card I highly doubt it. I could see some modifications for the Reserve however. With the new program changes, the choice between putting $75K on a Reserve vs AMEX Platinum card is a no brainer for the Platinum as 75K SkyPesos from the Reserve are essentially useless and $7.5K MQDs will get you Silver under the new program with no rollover. Not worth it.

metalblaze Oct 14, 2023 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by DCflyer1222 (Post 35663592)
I was curious - do we think we'll see them (DL/Amex) lower the $75,000 threshold for unlimited access. I am a huge SkyClub/Amex lounge fan.

Sorry OP. Three words: not gonna happen.

$75k annual spend will be the new norm to get unlimited access to DL SC or Amex CL.

In ~3-5 years, expect that requirement to be at $100k/year spend.

BenA Oct 14, 2023 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by ATLCDG (Post 35663598)
I am doubtful this one will change as many believe this is AMEX driven. It may be that they add a few more visits. 75k is the same limit AMEX put on Priority Pass for the normal AMEX plat card earlier in the year.

Did I miss a change Amex made to Priority Pass access on the Platinum? I didn't think spend was tied to that - just to guest privileges on the Amex branded lounges.

El Boocho Oct 14, 2023 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by BenA (Post 35663946)
Did I miss a change Amex made to Priority Pass access on the Platinum? I didn't think spend was tied to that - just to guest privileges on the Amex branded lounges.

I think they meant Centurion Lounge. I don't believe Priority Pass has changed

Adam1222 Oct 14, 2023 3:58 pm

There is already an extensive thread about people speculating about changes that may or may not be made, along with a generic airing of the grievances.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/2136665-delta-rolling-back-some-changes.html
Seems likely we don't need another one. The speculation in this thread is no more informed than the speculation there.

safigan Oct 14, 2023 3:59 pm

During the pandemic years when DL rolled over all MQMs, flyers' MQM balances ballooned. For me personally it went from just over 100k to about 350k. At the time, I wondered how this would impact the AmEx relationship. This was a BIG deal because AmEx MQM bonuses were one of the few non-flying ways to earn MQMs. Now we have our answer. They devalue their "generous" pandemic MQM rollovers to 5 cents on the dollar and tell us to instead use AmEx spending for MQDs. Rolling back their policy changes regarding access to lounges is counter to driving business to AmEx.

DLHubber Oct 14, 2023 5:18 pm

It’ll change. To what? I don’t know. But it won’t stay at a straight $75k for the Reserve.

GrayAnderson Oct 14, 2023 6:55 pm

I mean, I just got my American card today, and a whole lot of stuff that the DL Reserve would possibly be getting right now is going over there...

GagaPilot Oct 14, 2023 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by GrayAnderson (Post 35664354)
I mean, I just got my American card today, and a whole lot of stuff that the DL Reserve would possibly be getting right now is going over there...

Exactly. My new Chase Sapphire supposedly arrived today, and once I’m home I’ll be transitioning spend from the DL Amex to it.