Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Upgrading (with cash / skymiles) ticket purchased with VS miles

Old Oct 12, 2023, 10:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: Independent

If I purchase a domestic economy ticket with VS miles (it's cheaper...) can I upgrade the resulting Delta ticket with cash / Skymiles? Right now if I book the ticket with cash, it's offering me a paid upgrade at a reasonable price, and I'm hoping I can use VS miles for the initial purchase to save a little.

This is a bit of a combo VS/delta questions which is why I'm posting here. I want to do the upgrade with skymiles or cash, not with Virgin miles.
Old Oct 12, 2023, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hkcj
If I purchase a domestic economy ticket with VS miles (it's cheaper...) can I upgrade the resulting Delta ticket with cash / Skymiles? Right now if I book the ticket with cash, it's offering me a paid upgrade at a reasonable price, and I'm hoping I can use VS miles for the initial purchase to save a little.

This is a bit of a combo VS/delta questions which is why I'm posting here. I want to do the upgrade with skymiles or cash, not with Virgin miles.
Since VS award flights on DL metal book as DL coded flights, you will likely see online seat upgrade offers. However, they are not based on fare difference, so you won't know exactly what offer will be until after booked. If flight has plenty of inventory still in FC cabin and there is inventory in Z fare bucket I would expect offer to likely be reasonable. The mileage amount is just the cash offer at 1.0 CPM (minus 7.5% US Domestic Excise tax on domestic flights).
Old Oct 12, 2023, 10:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: Independent
Originally Posted by xliioper
Since VS award flights on DL metal book as DL coded flights, you will likely see online seat upgrade offers. However, they are not based on fare difference, so you won't know exactly what offer will be until after booked. If flight has plenty of inventory still in FC cabin and there is inventory in Z fare bucket I would expect offer to likely be reasonable. The mileage amount is just the cash offer at 1.0 CPM (minus 7.5% US Domestic Excise tax on domestic flights).
Great, thanks! Yes - that's why I booked the dummy cash booking (to see the prices). In fact I did it a few different times (main cabin, prem plus - offers all the same) and for two legs (return leg lost the upgrade a few days ago before I was ready to book), so I'm just waiting for Delta to cancel my account for weird activity :-|. (BTW - main cabin + upgrade was under half the price of just buying Delta One. Woah!)
Old Oct 12, 2023, 1:12 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, Hilton Honors, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Delete me.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.