JFK Congestion

Old Oct 10, 2023, 10:44 am

Programs: Delta 360 and 2MM, Air Canada 25k, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
For what it's worth, I was in Atlanta at a restaurant near Delta HQ last week and spoke to a few folks at the bar who were Delta sales execs that just got back from New York City for meetings on JFK. They relayed the following to me. Please take with a grain of salt as this is unverified and could change, but I thought I'd share what I heard from Delta employees:
  • They will move forward with expanding the A gates past what is currently there with the regional expansion. It will look more as it was originally planned to before it was scaled back and will handle more mainline flights as well as regional flights.
  • When they start construction, they're going to build on top of current regional gates while trying to close as few as possible. Not sure how this will be done.
  • They do plan to expand the customs corridor as well and have some widebody flights taking off from that concourse.
Again, very unverified, but thought worth sharing.
dw likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2023, 11:06 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium (Plat Life), HH G, Amtrak, B6, MR
I probably have never been to T4 at JFK until I had a connection there last week and was just shocked at everything. The dreadfully long walk (of course I arrived at the very end of A, and my flight departed from almost the very end of B), the crowding, the rather limited (I thought) meal options considering the amount of people and gates there are... And the ridiculous lines of people I saw waiting to enter the club in B... And we spent probably 40 minutes on the ground from gate departure to wheels up, eating up a good chunk of our projected early arrival.

Oh and the boarding was fascinating, because the gate agent called for pre-boarding, and then other people just starting boarding and the GA wasn't doing anything to stop them, so suddenly it became a free-for-all.
Old Oct 10, 2023, 8:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sc001
For what it's worth, I was in Atlanta at a restaurant near Delta HQ last week and spoke to a few folks at the bar who were Delta sales execs that just got back from New York City for meetings on JFK. They relayed the following to me. Please take with a grain of salt as this is unverified and could change, but I thought I'd share what I heard from Delta employees:
  • They will move forward with expanding the A gates past what is currently there with the regional expansion. It will look more as it was originally planned to before it was scaled back and will handle more mainline flights as well as regional flights.
  • When they start construction, they're going to build on top of current regional gates while trying to close as few as possible. Not sure how this will be done.
  • They do plan to expand the customs corridor as well and have some widebody flights taking off from that concourse.
Again, very unverified, but thought worth sharing.
This all makes sense. I do wonder if they built the expansion with this future plan in mind.

To be honest the whole area southeast of the new sky club and down the escalator looks very temporary. As you approach the new sky club you almost feel like they are going to extend the boarding level at some point. Gate A8 and the sky club entrance look almost abandoned in an awkward dead end.

Build the new mainline gates off the boarding level, and turn the apron gates into ops space, immigration, etc.
dw and GfromNY like this.
Old Oct 10, 2023, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Doesn't help that the new A gate expansion has zero moving walkways to help those with a 15 min brisk walk from end of A over to mid/end of B. If you're not a fast mover then that can easily be a 30+ min 'experience' once you actually get off the plane at the end of A.

Totally agree with the gate allocation issues at JFK... if you're early then you are screwed and will end up with the door actually opening late.
Old Oct 10, 2023, 8:53 pm

Programs: DL PM. 1MM
Originally Posted by steveholt
I don't disagree with your complaints about T4, but surely in all of that time spent sitting on the plane, you could check your phone and see whether there are still Airtrain delays because of construction? Or whether you'd be better off taking the subway than getting stuck on the Van Wyck? Is it better to do construction there at 11 PM at night or during the day?
HEH. would be great if the Port Authority actually posted alerts. I've flown in/out of JFK half a dozen times over the last 6 months and they have no posted alerts for airtrain delays. Yet I've waited 20-30 minutes each time for an Airtrain from Jamaica.
Seems like they don't want to post the alerts because when i've spoken to the "helpful" agents in station they explain it's regular delays because of construction and Airtrain maintenance. But no alerts.

Also where the hell do they post these alerts? It's almost impossible to find. PANYNJ site to twitter or some random alert page and the link is always broken.

For the $8.25!!!! we are paying we deserve a lot better service.
Old Oct 10, 2023, 11:45 pm

Originally Posted by mridley2
For the $8.25!!!! we are paying we deserve a lot better service.
When it opened, the fee was $5/ride, or $25 for 10 rides/6 month expiration (+$1 card fee, every time[grumble]) and the headways were much much better. The headways have gone to ...., even before the new traffic pattern, and for a party of 3+, it's often a similar price to take a cab or Uber then AirTrain/LIRR.
Old Oct 11, 2023, 7:38 am

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by audio-nut
When it opened, the fee was $5/ride, or $25 for 10 rides/6 month expiration (+$1 card fee, every time[grumble]) and the headways were much much better. The headways have gone to ...., even before the new traffic pattern, and for a party of 3+, it's often a similar price to take a cab or Uber then AirTrain/LIRR.
You can still buy the 10 ride card for $25, but now it's stupidly (read: designed to screw over the occasional flyer) limited to 30 days. However, parties of 3 or 4 (but not 5, because metrocards can't be passed back 4 times) can share such a card, effectively reducing the AirTrain fee to ~$4.50 per trip for 3 using it round trip, or ~$3.50 for 4 using it round trip. An off peak LIRR CityTicket is $5, so one-way for 4 people would be ~$34 (or ~$28 using the subway), which is significantly cheaper than a taxi ($70+tip+tolls) or Uber.

Let's see what happens to these tickets when OMNY fully replaces metrocard, though presumably they'll have to do something as they're really targeted to airport workers who aren't going to pay $16.50 everytime they go to their jobs.
Old Oct 12, 2023, 5:11 pm

Programs: DL,US
Originally Posted by Cheesemaster200
This all makes sense. I do wonder if they built the expansion with this future plan in mind.

To be honest the whole area southeast of the new sky club and down the escalator looks very temporary. As you approach the new sky club you almost feel like they are going to extend the boarding level at some point. Gate A8 and the sky club entrance look almost abandoned in an awkward dead end.

Build the new mainline gates off the boarding level, and turn the apron gates into ops space, immigration, etc.

That's EXACTLY what they are going to do.
Old Oct 12, 2023, 8:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Will any T4 airlines move into the expanded T1 once complete? I could see number of international airlines making move.

Also won't T1/T4 be connected airside? (I thought I read that) If so DL could possibly gain some gates.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.