Delta so expensive to Japan from BOS

Old Oct 6, 2023, 11:14 pm
Original Poster

Delta so expensive to Japan from BOS

Why is Delta so expensive to Japan from BOS? Over $3000 for many months now. From Bradley and Providence less than half of this cost. What gives?
lindros2 likes this.
Old Oct 7, 2023, 12:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by redmaple9
Why is Delta so expensive to Japan from BOS? Over $3000 for many months now. From Bradley and Providence less than half of this cost. What gives?
One way or roundtrip? What class of service?
Old Oct 7, 2023, 6:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hub pricing power. Note that Delta has roundtrip fares on BOS-HND from $1298 in BE, $1498 in Main for Jan 10th through Mar 8th outbound travel (below), but they have a 7 day minimum stay requirement (see Minimum Stay section below from fare rules found on delta.com). If your stay is anything less than 7 days, the only roundtrip fares available for booking will be $3K+.

lindros2, Arsene Wenger and tygron like this.

Last edited by xliioper; Oct 7, 2023 at 6:10 am
Old Oct 7, 2023, 6:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by guv1976
One way or roundtrip? What class of service?
round trip. Main cabin. 2 week stays. I generally buy 6 -8 weeks out.
Old Oct 7, 2023, 7:04 am

Programs: DL DM, Hilton Dia, Avis Pres Club
I fly to Europe quite often, Sometime BOS is cheaper than PVD, sometimes PVD is cheaper than BOS. remember revenue management is one of the great mysteries of life.
jamiel likes this.
Old Oct 7, 2023, 7:16 am

BOS is going to have more flights that connect to Japan flights so you will likely have better timed flights. Airlines know they can extract a premium for flights that offer connections on the low end of the reasonable connection time window. However, if PVD or BDL offer options that work for you at half the price nobody is forcing you to go out of BOS.
Old Oct 7, 2023, 7:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

round trip. Main cabin. 2 week stays. I generally buy 6 -8 weeks out.
The cheapest fares on BOS-HND generally have a 50 or 60 day advance purchase requirement. So booking 8 weeks out or closer in will often result in only higher fares available for booking. As shown above in Google Flights, there are cheaper seasonal fares on BOS-HND available for Jan 10th to Mar 8th outbound travel with Main Cabin available from $1498 roundtrip. Outside this seasonal window, the cheapest Main fares start at $2369 roundtrip and have a 60 day AP and 7 day min stay requirement (cheapest fares generally require Sun-Wed outbounds and Tue-Fri returns as noted in fare rules above).

Arsene Wenger and tygron like this.

Last edited by xliioper; Oct 7, 2023 at 7:35 am
Old Oct 7, 2023, 7:31 am

Programs: Delta Death March, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott/Hilton Gold Life
We booked Air Canada instead of Delta (open jaw to NRT and from KIX).
I will really miss poor service, angry FAs, and repurposed LATAM A350, but, you know, it was double the price.
aquanine and dtwlarry like this.
Old Oct 7, 2023, 7:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by xliioper
The cheapest fares on BOS-HND generally have a 50 or 60 day advance purchase requirement. So booking 8 weeks out or closer in will often result in only higher fares avaiable for booking. As shown above, there are cheaper seasonal fares on BOS-HND available for Jan 10th to Mar 8th outbound travel with Main Cabin available from $1498 roundtrip. Outside this seasonal window, the cheapest Main fares start at $2369 roundtrip and have a 60 day AP and 7 day min stay requirement (cheapest fares generally require Sun-Wed outbounds and Tue-Fri returns as noted in fare rules above).
This is the answer I was looking for. Thank you for the helpful advice. Exactly what I needed.
obscure2k and ACCDraw like this.
Old Oct 7, 2023, 8:08 am

What about other air carriers? Delta has made the benefits of remaining loyal nearly nil now.
Old Oct 7, 2023, 8:13 am

Originally Posted by lindros2
We booked Air Canada instead of Delta (open jaw to NRT and from KIX).
I will really miss poor service, angry FAs, and repurposed LATAM A350, but, you know, it was double the price.
In my experience DL actually flies whereas AC schedules 10 flights and only flies 7-8 of them. And if your AC flight is canceled the next one with available space could be in 2-3 days.
Old Oct 7, 2023, 8:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
In my experience DL actually flies whereas AC schedules 10 flights and only flies 7-8 of them. And if your AC flight is canceled the next one with available space could be in 2-3 days.
yikes. Is this common? On what leg?
Old Oct 7, 2023, 12:36 pm

yikes. Is this common? On what leg?
All of AC. No particular route. Study their cancellation percentages. Great business model. Sell 10 flights with only 7 planes and crew and cancel the bottom 3 loads at the last minute.
Old Oct 7, 2023, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by shoodawg
What about other air carriers? Delta has made the benefits of remaining loyal nearly nil now.
Over at United : Why are Biz Class fares to Japan so expensive?!? - FlyerTalk Forums

And yes, United's Star Alliance partner AC is fielded as an alternate.
Old Oct 7, 2023, 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
All of AC. No particular route. Study their cancellation percentages. Great business model. Sell 10 flights with only 7 planes and crew and cancel the bottom 3 loads at the last minute.
Bold accusation that doesn't make any sense given how an airline operates.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.