Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Amazingly quick and generous response to complaint

Old Oct 6, 2023, 5:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL - PM (demoted with Amex waiver increase) and 1 MM

As a Platinum, I was automatically cleared into C+ and chose 10A on an A220-300 when I booked LGA - DFW for 10/2 in August. When I checked in, the app told me my seat would be assigned at the gate. UGH . . . It still showed my class of service as (SU), however, so I figured they needed to move me to accommodate a disabled passenger. I prepared myself at worst for a middle C+ seat but when I scanned my seat request BP, the machine spit out 28A. Last Row! My thought immediately was that if had wanted to fly Main Cabin back of plane to DFW, I would have flown American.

When I returned home, I filled out a complaint simply stating my displeasure that the downgrade happened and I was not provided an explanation. I expected a three week wait and a courtesy 5,000 mile deposit into my account. Less than 20 minutes later my phone rang, the Caller ID said Delta. Someone from Customer Care identified herself and said my complaint had just made it to her desk. She explained there was a change of equipment (from A220-300 to A220-100) a month ago and a lot of peoples' seats had to be reassigned. She was very apologetic and said they need to fix the notification system to alert flyers to those type of changes so we can choose the best seat available. She then said they wanted to make it up to me and asked if I would prefer miles or a travel voucher. I said travel voucher and she said I would be receiving a $200 voucher in my account by the end of the day!

I was pleasantly surprised and it struck me that Delta must be scrambling to keep fliers after the Medallion changes. I'm not a particularly high value flier. I devote my entire travel spend to Delta, always purchasing economy lowest available, never first or business. I've come to appreciate early boarding, free checked bags, C+ at booking, priority rebooking during IROPs and the increasingly infrequent upgrade. I typically end up at $5,000 MQD per year and qualify annually for Platinum with 50,000 MQM, Amex Waiver and 2 Amex Reserve MQM Boosts. If that's the response someone like me is getting, think what Delta must be doing for higher value customers!
DCAhome, Firstboss, uanj and 4 others like this.
Old Oct 6, 2023, 5:19 pm

I wonder how many medallion members have halted making new bookings on delta.
Old Oct 6, 2023, 5:59 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1.5 MM; AS MVP Gold 100K; HHonors Diamond; AMEX Platinum
Originally Posted by shoodawg
Me!
Old Oct 6, 2023, 6:24 pm
Taz

Programs: DL PM
I had a similar response to a request for a refund for the difference between F & Y that I submitted earlier this week. I won't go into all the details, but I had a nightmare of a day last Friday that resulted a disconnect, long sit in DTW, being downgraded from paid F, and then subsequently skipped over for an upgrade, even though I could prove I was #1 on the upgrade list. I received a phone call within 15 minutes of submitting the request. Between the refund, a voucher and a pile of miles, I ended up with a nearly free trip.
Old Oct 6, 2023, 6:36 pm

Probably a lot, if they are calling back with-in minutes over this.
ACCDraw, dtwlarry, hikouki and 1 others like this.
Old Oct 6, 2023, 7:27 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hilton Diamond
I've paused bookings -- waiting to see what the promised changes look like and what AA does for 2024. Also took the JetBlue match.
ACCDraw likes this.
Old Oct 6, 2023, 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by jgers1j
As a Platinum, I was automatically cleared into C+ and chose 10A on an A220-300 when I booked LGA - DFW for 10/2 in August. When I checked in, the app told me my seat would be assigned at the gate. UGH . . . It still showed my class of service as (SU), however, so I figured they needed to move me to accommodate a disabled passenger. I prepared myself at worst for a middle C+ seat but when I scanned my seat request BP, the machine spit out 28A. Last Row! My thought immediately was that if had wanted to fly Main Cabin back of plane to DFW, I would have flown American.

When I returned home, I filled out a complaint simply stating my displeasure that the downgrade happened and I was not provided an explanation. I expected a three week wait and a courtesy 5,000 mile deposit into my account. Less than 20 minutes later my phone rang, the Caller ID said Delta. Someone from Customer Care identified herself and said my complaint had just made it to her desk. She explained there was a change of equipment (from A220-300 to A220-100) a month ago and a lot of peoples' seats had to be reassigned. She was very apologetic and said they need to fix the notification system to alert flyers to those type of changes so we can choose the best seat available. She then said they wanted to make it up to me and asked if I would prefer miles or a travel voucher. I said travel voucher and she said I would be receiving a $200 voucher in my account by the end of the day!

I was pleasantly surprised and it struck me that Delta must be scrambling to keep fliers after the Medallion changes. I'm not a particularly high value flier. I devote my entire travel spend to Delta, always purchasing economy lowest available, never first or business. I've come to appreciate early boarding, free checked bags, C+ at booking, priority rebooking during IROPs and the increasingly infrequent upgrade. I typically end up at $5,000 MQD per year and qualify annually for Platinum with 50,000 MQM, Amex Waiver and 2 Amex Reserve MQM Boosts. If that's the response someone like me is getting, think what Delta must be doing for higher value customers!
Welcome back Delta 2019. Youve been severely missed for the past 4 years.
uanj, ACCDraw, hikouki and 7 others like this.
Old Oct 6, 2023, 8:29 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium
I have already flown AA (in domestic paid F), 2 trips on LCCs at half the cost with smooth sailing and no ATL chaos, and will be driving instead of flying Delta in the next two weeks. That's real revenue lost but I have no need for either nearly useless Skymiles nor MQDs as I am only $400 shy of DM with next year qualification around the corner on already booked trips. Have to wonder how many others have done the math. Next will go the Delta Platinum Amex. It's a nice story but frankly too little too late, I got less compensation for each of three overnights in ATL due to mechanicals and nothing at all when they lost my luggage the only time I checked it domestically this year.
Ascii, hikouki and lindros2 like this.
Old Oct 6, 2023, 8:56 pm

Programs: UA- 1K, DL-DM, AA-G, BON-T
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
Welcome back Delta 2019. Youve been severely missed for the past 4 years.
So trueI miss those days
ACCDraw, JW6130, DrMilano and 1 others like this.
Old Oct 6, 2023, 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by DCAhome
Me!
Me too. Ive got enough booked to just barely make PM for 2024 (by a couple of dollars).

Anything else goes on whoever has the best price / value combo. In my case thats usually AA.
ACCDraw likes this.
Old Oct 7, 2023, 12:50 am

Programs: BA Silver, UA 1K, DL Platinum
Yes same thing happened and I received what I thought was a generous amount for service recovery. I had cancelled my forward bookings although mainly that was to switch to cheaper options and keep the credit for 2024 qualification.
Old Oct 7, 2023, 7:37 am

Programs: Delta Death March, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott/Hilton Gold Life
Originally Posted by DCAhome
Me!
me2!
ACCDraw likes this.
Old Oct 7, 2023, 7:43 am

I submitted an online complaint yesterday about an AVOD system not working and received a call just a few hours later. I was surprised how quickly they contacted me to provide compensation (DL PM).
lindros2 likes this.
Old Oct 7, 2023, 11:49 am

Programs: FreeAgent; DL Silver; IHG Diamond/ Ambassador
Originally Posted by HBlurb
I have already flown AA (in domestic paid F), 2 trips on LCCs at half the cost with smooth sailing and no ATL chaos, and will be driving instead of flying Delta in the next two weeks. That's real revenue lost but I have no need for either nearly useless Skymiles nor MQDs as I am only $400 shy of DM with next year qualification around the corner on already booked trips. Have to wonder how many others have done the math. Next will go the Delta Platinum Amex. It's a nice story but frankly too little too late, I got less compensation for each of three overnights in ATL due to mechanicals and nothing at all when they lost my luggage the only time I checked it domestically this year.

This year, I was so loyal to DL even though I paid first and got a dirty seat, I paid for C+ and got a rude flight attendant, they canceled my flight with no comparable options (even though their competitors were flying the same routes through a so-called 'weather disturbance'), and they lost my luggage while blaming it on me not putting the labels correctly but they actually were placed correctly when they found my luggage a week later. And yet I remained loyal, then they take away the remaining perks that kept people like me flying them.

For the dates that I am looking at in early 2024, the price of a SEA-HND in DeltaOne will buy me 1x SEA-HND in J on ANA, and 1x SEA-HND in PEY on either JAL or ANA. And how about the SEA-MNL and SEA-TPE trips? SEA-IST-MNL is 2/3 the price of DL/KE on some days, and on some days it is half.

For a single SEA-HND in DeltaOne, I could fly to HND three times with money to spare in PEY!!! I have my 2024 nicely mapped out.

I do wonder how much DL's customer service can keep up with all these damage control measures, in the long run?
ACCDraw likes this.
Old Oct 7, 2023, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
It's truly absurd the Delta seems to, as a matter of policy, assign seats to pax in a cabin lower than ticketed without any kind of proactive statement (or, far better, a solicitation of volunteers for a downgrade). I dread the first time this happens to me, but I hope that despite the seemingly weekly anecdotes getting posted that it remains rare.

I'm glad you feel like you were made whole in the end, but the fact that you were dumped into 28A without that kind of compensation prior to boarding is a massive failure by Delta.
ACCDraw and lindros2 like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.