Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta to HNL then LIH on separate ticket with Hawaiian Air ?

Old Oct 3, 2023, 9:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta

Iím looking to book a flight to LIH during the schoolís spring breakÖ so all flights are crazy expensive. But itís far cheaper to book a round trip flight to HNL on Delta, then a separate ticket from HNL to LIH on Hawaiian Air. Are there any problems/issues that could arise from doing this? TIA!
Old Oct 3, 2023, 10:22 pm

Programs: Some more than others
For starters based on my understanding of Delta policy, they will not check through checked luggage on separate tickets in this scenario. So you'd need to reclaim your luggage in HNL and recheck with HA and pay their luggage fees.

Also, if you are delayed on your Delta flight, any ability to get on a later Hawaiian flight would be at the mercy of HA.
4sallypat likes this.
Old Oct 4, 2023, 1:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by SCChris
For starters based on my understanding of Delta policy, they will not check through checked luggage on separate tickets in this scenario. So you'd need to reclaim your luggage in HNL and recheck with HA and pay their luggage fees.

Also, if you are delayed on your Delta flight, any ability to get on a later Hawaiian flight would be at the mercy of HA.
Despite policy not requiring, it doesn't prohibit checking through. Most DL agents will do this. HA on the reverse will 100% NOT do this.

HA will also not rebook you for free.
CowGirlMoo likes this.
Old Oct 4, 2023, 5:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

When are you going? Generally speaking, DL fares to LIH are on a par or less than DL fares to HNL. I would be quite surprised if they were substantially more.

DTW-HNL RT fares in March/April --

DTW-LIH RT fares in March/April

Old Oct 4, 2023, 6:33 am

Programs: Non-Affiliated
I miss the good ol' days when this wasn't an issue. I remember one time I arrived in HNL and checked with the Hawaiian airlines counter airside about moving my seat, and handed her both my DL (F) boarding pass, and my seperate HA (Y) boarding pass and the agent said something along the lines of "Oh, you flew here in F on Delta? Let's just make it F all the way to Lihue" and upgraded me for free.

That was the same day I met the cast of Lost in the Inter-Island terminal. Someone had to tell me who they were and why people were talking to them. I had never (and still never) have seen the show.

Back on topic, the other posters are spot on due to my recent experiences. Delta DID check my bag through, saying they were going to do me a one time favor, but HA was having none of it on the return. That was a massive pain in the butt on arrival into SEA in the very early hours of the morning approaching being awake for 24 hours.
becks1 likes this.
Old Oct 4, 2023, 9:44 am
Original Poster

Thank you. We need to go from March 21st/22nd to the 29th/30th.
Old Oct 4, 2023, 9:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by james318
I miss the good ol' days when this wasn't an issue. I remember one time I arrived in HNL and checked with the Hawaiian airlines counter airside about moving my seat, and handed her both my DL (F) boarding pass, and my seperate HA (Y) boarding pass and the agent said something along the lines of "Oh, you flew here in F on Delta? Let's just make it F all the way to Lihue" and upgraded me for free.

That was the same day I met the cast of Lost in the Inter-Island terminal. Someone had to tell me who they were and why people were talking to them. I had never (and still never) have seen the show.

Back on topic, the other posters are spot on due to my recent experiences. Delta DID check my bag through, saying they were going to do me a one time favor, but HA was having none of it on the return. That was a massive pain in the butt on arrival into SEA in the very early hours of the morning approaching being awake for 24 hours.
Great story!

Thanks for letting me know about checking bags being a PITA on the return flight.
Old Oct 4, 2023, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by CowGirlMoo
Great story!

Thanks for letting me know about checking bags being a PITA on the return flight.
It's a bit of a PITA but far from awful. Just allow enough time if doing separate tickets to account for claiming bags from HA and rechecking with DL at HNL. I've done this several times** and usually allot 3.5-4 hours between the arrival of my HA island hopper flight and the departure of my flight to the mainland on another airline, which is more than enough time if things go smoothly but also allows a little bit of flex if the HA island hopper is delayed (or if your bags end up on a flight or two later, as has happened to me before).

**I've only done this on my return. I've never done it inbound to Hawaii. I've always either flown directly into the island I'm going to, staying on Oahu, or had a through-ticket that didn't necessitate claiming and re-checking bags so I cannot speak to that experience of doing OAL to HA at HNL on separate tickets. I can only speak to the experience of doing HA to OAL at HNL when on separate tickets.
CowGirlMoo likes this.
Old Oct 4, 2023, 11:13 am

Programs: Delta DM 3+MM
Book On Southwest. Free bags.
Old Oct 4, 2023, 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by lking
Free bags if you pay $200 more for your flight and happen to live near one of the few aiports they offer connecting service from. Good luck getting them to interline your bags if you are trying to fly from places like ATL, MSP, or DTW.
Old Oct 4, 2023, 2:23 pm

Free bags if you pay $200 more for your flight (ex. see SEA fares) and happen to live near one of the few aiports they offer connecting service from. Good luck getting them to interline your bags if you are trying to fly from places like ATL, MSP, or DTW.

I wouldI imagine most people following this thread get free bags on DL anyway.
Old Oct 4, 2023, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Aliquot
Free bags if you pay $200 more for your flight and happen to live near one of the few aiports they offer connecting service from. Good luck getting them to interline your bags if you are trying to fly from places like ATL, MSP, or DTW.
I think that reference was to booking WN for the island hopper flight as WN also has island hoppers along with HA. I've looked at both HA and WN for island hopping and usually the fares are the same or close and WN has free bags while HA does not for most passengers. I've still opted for HA each time because I do get free bags on HA and I like being able to get a set of 2 seats on a 717 versus being on a 3-3 layout on a 737. HA also has a higher frequency of service, meaning better options in the event of IROPS which also has driven me to book HA but WN is nonetheless an option for island hopping.
Old Oct 8, 2023, 8:23 am

Thank you ATOBTTR. That was the exact question OP was asking about: HNL - LIH. Reading, what a wonderful thing.
CowGirlMoo likes this.
Old Oct 8, 2023, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Thank you ATOBTTR. That was the exact question OP was asking about: HNL - LIH. Reading, what a wonderful thing.
All replies were in relationship to OP post. This is a discussion board, things get discussed. WN is still new to Hawaii relatively speaking. What if OP didn't know WN was ab option? Since HA wont interline bags across tickets, why not go with cheapest option. (Which they might not know about)

Not sure why the issue with posts.
Old Oct 8, 2023, 8:55 am

That is exactly why I mentioned Southwest in my earlier post and ATOBTTR amplified on that. The OP was asking about HNL-LIH and other comments went off on tangents. It is a discussion and was trying to be helpful. Did not mean to be otherwise, if that's the way it came across.

Southwest has flown the local island routes for several years and it is pretty easy to check in at HNL after getting bags from Delta baggage claim. I prefer to not have to pay for bags unless there is no other option.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.