Divorce or separation? Strategies?

Old Sep 27, 2023, 1:08 am
Original Poster

Location: Pleasant Prairie, WI USA DL FO (until 2/04), NW silver '03, NW gold '04+'05 Plat '06+ (thanks, Leo!), DL SkyClub
Programs: DL Plat/ Million Miler, AS, Hilton, Marriott Bonvoy, Piggly Wiggly Pig Points
Divorce or separation? Strategies?

I am a DL Plat. By the end of this year I should have:

1.9 million miles toward 2 million miler status
355,000 MQM from which 75,000 will be deducted leaving 280,000 to convert ($14,000 new MQDs)
Delta Skymiles Reserve and Platinum Amex
Chase Sapphire Reserve

Thoughts:

I have a shot in 2024 of doing two things: attaining 2MM status (principally European trips on KLM, AF and Delta) and due to MQD conversion one more shot at Plat for 2025 (probably hit $18K spend). I will gain SkyClub Access in 2024 by Reserve Card and SkyTeam Elite Plus International Trips.

Once I hit Plat for 2025 Reserve Card becomes expensive albatross. No real benefits. 2MM gives me Gold/Elite Plus. Not going to hit Plat again under new rules. Reserve card seems to offer no real benefits. Centurion lounge reserved for flying on DL paper. Rental car coverage secondary (unlike Chase).

I could deflect to AS but flying AA does not result in 1:1 miles credited and AS doesn't go many places I need. Some AS foreign partners are even worse for mileage accrual.

There's no incentive to stick with Delta as primary carrier. I will be Gold and never more. That will give me Elite Plus for SkyTeam flights. I could dump the Amex Reserve and Plat cards and keep the Cash Magnet that has no fee and use the savings to buy a Sky Club membership if so inclined. Chase would become primary card where I get points, Priority Pass and primary car rental coverage. Maybe keep DL Amex Plat for the Choice benefits. I would be able to shop cheaper fares as a free agent.

Thoughts on strategies? No viable way to remain "loyal" to DL without fair shot at Plat and Sky Club access. I'd probably hit a little over $12K in MQD which is Gold (and I would have that anyway). Hotels, rental cars are way more pricey through DL vs other channels.

The evisceration of SkyMiles works out to no incentive to remain loyal to DL but does free me up to look at lower fare options elsewhere. I can't imagine that I'm alone in this.

Last edited by Dick Ginkowski; Sep 27, 2023 at 3:23 am
Old Sep 27, 2023, 2:01 am

Programs: Delta 2M DM, Southwest A List and CP
Well, be 2 MM, hope they do not do away with the "annual renewable" Gold, and be free agent. That is what most of us do in this situation, I believe. If you are pretty close to 1 MM in another alliance, then go for that.
jimrpa, hockeystl and lindros2 like this.
Old Sep 27, 2023, 3:24 am
Original Poster

Location: Pleasant Prairie, WI USA DL FO (until 2/04), NW silver '03, NW gold '04+'05 Plat '06+ (thanks, Leo!), DL SkyClub
Programs: DL Plat/ Million Miler, AS, Hilton, Marriott Bonvoy, Piggly Wiggly Pig Points
Originally Posted by PHXflier
Well, be 2 MM, hope they do not do away with the "annual renewable" Gold, and be free agent. That is what most of us do in this situation, I believe. If you are pretty close to 1 MM in another alliance, then go for that.
You might recall years ago they changed 1MM from "lifetime" to "annual" FO.
DiverDave likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2023, 3:54 am

I would rather take 140k RDMs than 14,000 MQDs.
Old Sep 27, 2023, 4:21 am
Original Poster

Question

Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
I would rather take 140k RDMs than 14,000 MQDs.
How would that help toward another year as Plat?
Old Sep 27, 2023, 4:59 am

With an Amex card and the 15% discount 140k RDMs can easily get you (or anyone) $2,000+ worth of flights. PM gets you 4 hard to use RUCs and C+ which you could easily buy with your $2,000 windfall.
DrMilano and NotHamSarnie like this.
Old Sep 27, 2023, 6:24 am

Divorce or Separation?

. Implying that you were married? Really

honestly, thats a scary level of emotional commitment to a publicly traded corporation
Old Sep 27, 2023, 7:15 am

Originally Posted by Orange County Commuter
Divorce or Separation?

honestly, thats a scary level of emotional commitment to a publicly traded corporation
This is the monster DL created. A bunch of people feel they are owed status on DL just because they were loyal. DL indulged them for a long time

No one should be surprised that this happened, but everyone seems to be. It is weird honestly.
ATLCDG, hikouki, Repooc17 and 2 others like this.
Old Sep 27, 2023, 7:57 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA Gold/1MM, AS MVP 100K, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Dick Ginkowski
How would that help toward another year as Plat?
it doesnt help for status but at least it has some tangible value of 1c/mile for redemptions. If this has taught us anything, its not worth the chase for status anymore.
Old Sep 27, 2023, 8:27 am

Programs: DL 2MM/DM, Hilton LT Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriot Titanium
Divorce or Separation?

We are the therapists via Flyertalk, as OP is looking for positive reinforcement for his decision from this DL group. I would not be surprise that some 'jaded' DL 'loyal' customers are actually seeking in-person counseling.

OP who has the best flight schedule for your travel needs?
Adam1222 and NotHamSarnie like this.
Old Sep 27, 2023, 8:44 am

Programs: DL 2 MM
I'm in a similar situation, although I've already recently hit 2MM.

- Have Reserve card
- After many years of Diamond will be (barely) Platinum for 2024
- Will end with with about 100k rollover MQM
- Retiring in the next few months - leisure travel will go up (currently about 5x trips per year) and biz travel will go to zero.
- Have about a million RDM

I'm in Milwaukee so I basically need to connect for majority of trips.

Part that sucks is in MKE only club is Delta - which I use a lot. On a given trip will hit 3 clubs.

Not concerned about MQDs going forward. No way I'll hit Platinum spend in 2024. So if on DL will just buy/use miles for FC when warranted, and then buy/use miles for C+/FC starting 2025.

Will keep Reserve through 2024 - will use it a lot for clubs and we've always got value from the companion certificate, use it every year. Also thinking they'll walk back the 10x visits by end of next year, but we'll see.

So, mostly free agent next year, but lots of DL flights; fully free agent starting 2025. Will use stash of miles for positioning flights for international trips on OAL.

At least that's the plan for now.

P.S. Have CSR that is used for all travel spend on everything but DL flights.
Old Sep 27, 2023, 8:59 am

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
Divorce if you can get periodic rebound flights.
hhdl likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2023, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Another day, another Delta venting thread. Like clockwork.

How is the class action suit coming along?
Old Sep 27, 2023, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Dick Ginkowski
You might recall years ago they changed 1MM from "lifetime" to "annual" FO.
Lifetime to annual was a SM legal move to make sure people know they get the benefits in effect each year, not the benefits in place at the time of attaining MM status. Don't expect DL to remove MM status, just expect DL to make benefits changes at the MM status level you've earned.
hhdl likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2023, 1:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, GlobalEntry, Admirals Club, United Club
Divorce or Separation?

I thought it was going to be an interesting thread about the legal implications of divorce or separation as they relate to mileage programs, perhaps maybe surrounding the decision to convert MQMs to RDMs vs MQDs. Instead, it's yet another "I'm upset about the changes" or "I'm happy about the changes" thread.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.