Earning MQDs through hotels

Old Sep 20, 23, 9:36 am
Original Poster

Earning MQDs through hotels

I just booked a resort in February. I will pay for the stay in February when I get to the resort. Even though I "booked" the stay now, would it count towards my MQD accrual for the 2025 program year if I do not pay for it until I get to the resort?

I tried calling Delta and they did not have an answer :-(
Old Sep 20, 23, 9:40 am

Programs: DL, UA, AA
Originally Posted by pofriri
I just booked a resort in February. I will pay for the stay in February when I get to the resort. Even though I "booked" the stay now, would it count towards my MQD accrual for the 2025 program year if I do not pay for it until I get to the resort?

yes
Old Sep 20, 23, 9:42 am

Programs: Delta DM, United Silver, Marriott LT Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by pofriri

Why would you do that to yourself?
smartytravel likes this.
Old Sep 20, 23, 9:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by matchbox20_is
Why would you do that to yourself?
What do you mean? Can you be a little bit more specific?
Old Sep 20, 23, 10:37 am
Original Member

Programs: DL 3 MM/DM, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, National Exec Elite
The problem with these hotels booked through Delta is that, as I understand it, you won't get hotel program benefits or credits. Those are hugely important to me, so I won't be booking hotels through Delta, even though it would likely be enough spend to put me over the new DM MQD threshold.

To think that DMs would be content with Expedia-bargain rooms is a bit nutty.
moondog and Singleflyer like this.
Old Sep 20, 23, 11:02 am

Programs: Delta - DM MM / United - PP / Marriott - LTT / Avis - PC
I booked a hotel through Delta earlier this year to give it a try...2 nights at the Gaylord Opryland. Zero hotel benefits, despite my status, and a room that had an "underground" wall view. It literally would be the same as using any other 3rd party booking tool. I don't see any value in doing this, even if you desperately needed MQDs.
Old Sep 20, 23, 11:21 am

Programs: DL 2MM/DM, UA Gold, Hilton LT Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriot Titanium
Booking independent international non US brands which are off the beaten path, outside of the major cities, might be the way to go. I dont want to change this thread into a hotel loyalty program debate, but the US programs have rapidly deteriorated regarding stays within the US. Post pandemic loyalty status either airline or hotel is a joke, it is no longer what it was years ago.
dw and g50 like this.
Old Sep 20, 23, 11:36 am

Originally Posted by Robert Leach
The problem with these hotels booked through Delta is that, as I understand it, you won't get hotel program benefits or credits. Those are hugely important to me, so I won't be booking hotels through Delta, even though it would likely be enough spend to put me over the new DM MQD threshold.

that's literally the "problem" with anything you spend money on. If you buy one thing, you can't use that money to buy something else. Everything is a tradeoff.
pofriri likes this.
Old Sep 20, 23, 11:41 am

Programs: Delta DM and 1 MM, HHonors Diamond (thru AMEX), Marriott Gold
Given what I read about Delta travel, and the benefits I do get when booking with Hilton hotels directly or even booking premium stuff thru Amex Plat, I will likely not be utilizing the hotel or Delta Vacation pathways to whatever remains of Delta "status", unless I am a little bit short of some threshold late in the year.
Old Sep 20, 23, 12:16 pm

Programs: DL DM 1MM; IHG Diamond Amb
Not to mention the fact that the first people to get walked by hotels in an oversold situation are 3rd party bookings. Doubt Delta has made agreements with every single hotel in the world that their customers won't get walked...
Old Sep 20, 23, 12:24 pm

Programs: Delta - DM MM / United - PP / Marriott - LTT / Avis - PC
Originally Posted by WannabePBA
Not to mention the fact that the first people to get walked by hotels in an oversold situation are 3rd party bookings. Doubt Delta has made agreements with every single hotel in the world that their customers won't get walked...
Exactly, and your status doesn't mean a thing in these situations. When I booked mine, I wanted to try it out first to see before having an opinion on it. I did collect some additional DL bonus miles, but absolutely not worth it - MQDs or not.
Old Sep 20, 23, 1:17 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Delta Reserve, Amex Plat, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold ;)
What Delta needs to do is something similar to what AMEX has with Fine Hotels & Resorts properties. The deal with AMEX basically gives you the same (or better) benefits as status, and in my experience with Hilton, I get my Diamond Hilton benefits in addition to the AMEX benefits. Plus AMEX gives 5x MR points on bookings through their site. If DL were to do something like this with hotel bookings it would be an interesting proposition, but I don't see that happening. My issue with car rentals through DL is that any time I've cross shopped Delta over the car rental companies directly (with the AMEX Platinum discount) DL is always more expensive. My MQDs are going to come from buying more F fares and putting $75k plus on my Reserve card. I don't anticipate I'll use the hotel bookings, but time will tell.
dw, DiverDave and channonc like this.
Old Sep 20, 23, 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by Robert Leach

Well, I did it a year go. Booked an Iberostar via Delta because that's where I found the best rate. And with Iberostar you actually got ALL your benefits. (Now that may not be true now that they are affiliated with IHG but for other reasons I probably won't' be staying there again so it doesn't matter any longer) So while for US Based chains your statement is correct it is NOT always universally correct.
DrMilano likes this.
Old Sep 20, 23, 1:28 pm

Programs: DL DM 1MM; IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by Orange County Commuter
Well, I did it a year go. Booked an Iberostar via Delta because that's where I found the best rate. And with Iberostar you actually got ALL your benefits. (Now that may not be true now that they are affiliated with IHG but for other reasons I probably won't' be staying there again so it doesn't matter any longer) So while for US Based chains your statement is correct it is NOT always universally correct.
Was there a place to enter your hotel loyalty program account number in the booking? If not, I don't see how the hotel would be liable/responsible for giving any benefits to the customer. Yes, they could potentially look you up by name, but wouldn't know to do so until you checked in, and then it would be up to the hotel's discretion.

Also, this program change doesn't really work well for people that have a large collection of hotel loyalty points...why would you book your vacation through Delta and pay for a hotel if you already have points where you can stay for free? (Doesn't apply to everybody here...).
Old Sep 20, 23, 1:46 pm

Programs: DL 2MM/DM, UA Gold, Hilton LT Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriot Titanium
Originally Posted by DCAproducer
What Delta needs to do is something similar to what AMEX has with Fine Hotels & Resorts properties. The deal with AMEX basically gives you the same (or better) benefits as status, and in my experience with Hilton, I get my Diamond Hilton benefits in addition to the AMEX benefits. Plus AMEX gives 5x MR points on bookings through their site. If DL were to do something like this with hotel bookings it would be an interesting proposition, but I don't see that happening. My issue with car rentals through DL is that any time I've cross shopped Delta over the car rental companies directly (with the AMEX Platinum discount) DL is always more expensive. My MQDs are going to come from buying more F fares and putting $75k plus on my Reserve card. I don't anticipate I'll use the hotel bookings, but time will tell.
Delta doesnt want to investment money on a similar AmEx FHR or Visa Infinite Luxury hotel booking portal, as this would cost too much money for a company that now brands itself as providing a premium [travel] experience. Delta is just an other player looking for a slice of a travel booking commission using Expedias back end IT infrastructure.

I find it assuming that Delta destroyed the independent travel agent commission by directing customer bookings directly to delta.com and is now going after the hotel and car rental industry commissions by dangling MQDs as a carrot. Delta has realized its a lot cheaper to act as a credit card marketer and travel agency, rather than focusing on its core business of flying airplanes.
DocDad likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.