Earning MQDs through hotels

Old Sep 20, 23, 2:41 pm
  #16  
 
Join Date: Jan 2022
Programs: DL, UA, AA
Posts: 1,901
Originally Posted by DrMilano
Delta has realized itís a lot cheaper to act as a credit card marketer and travel agency, rather than focusing on itís core business of flying airplanes.
The folks flying the airplanes aren't the same ones booking hotels.
Goodoldflyer is offline  
Old Sep 20, 23, 2:59 pm
  #17  
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: NYC (LGA, JFK), CT
Programs: Delta Diamond, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Posts: 4,652
1) When American Airlines introduced elite earnings by booking hotels (RocketMiles, BookAAHotels, etc), there was almost none of the doubt I see now - only "hey, I can book at this hotel and earn AA miles and elite credit!" I guess the difference is that AA miles are worth more, but the idea of booking through a portal for miles, elite credit, etc is not new.

2) There are plenty of non-Hilton/Marriott/Hyatt/IHG hotels to book where things like status, elite credits in a hotel program, etc are simply not relevant. If you re booking via Delta, American, etc, I recommend you book independent, non-hotel chains so you don't go into the property mentally expecting benefits
moondog, jordyn, jiburi and 4 others like this.
Adelphos is offline  
Old Sep 20, 23, 4:24 pm
  #18  
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: ATL
Programs: DL Diamond, 1MM
Posts: 59
Originally Posted by pofriri
What do you mean? Can you be a little bit more specific?

Delta did what I think is a trial run for this, this past March, when they offered MQDs for hotel stays and car rentals made through their website.

based on a perusal of comments posted here, in addition to my own experience, Delta posted MQDs in a timely manner for those who pre-paid for their reservations, but not so much for those who paid upon arrival.

I was in the latter group. I called four times, with a total call duration of 7 1/2 hours, over a period of three months, before my credits were posted. I wonít do that again until or unless I have confidence that Delta has fixed its systemic issues associated with such crediting.

If for some reason, I decided I needed the MQD bump from this avenue, I would pre-pay. And only if I had zero reason to think that my travel plans might change. Maybe a late in the year MQD hotel run or something, and where I am booking shortly before the stay.

As others have noted here, my experience when looking at hotel and car pricing through DeltaĎs portal is that car rental rates were much higher than what I saw elsewhere, including my employerís portal. Hotel rates were fairly close. (hotel rates were less than $10 per night higher through Delta for my hotel stays)

YMMV though.
lawyer75 likes this.
JojaFlyer is offline  
Old Sep 20, 23, 5:19 pm
  #19  
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,321
Originally Posted by WannabePBA
Was there a place to enter your hotel loyalty program account number in the booking? If not, I don't see how the hotel would be liable/responsible for giving any benefits to the customer. Yes, they could potentially look you up by name, but wouldn't know to do so until you checked in, and then it would be up to the hotel's discretion.

Also, this program change doesn't really work well for people that have a large collection of hotel loyalty points...why would you book your vacation through Delta and pay for a hotel if you already have points where you can stay for free? (Doesn't apply to everybody here...).

I think I put it in the comments, but I may have just reached out to the Hotel and given it to them directly.


Their program actually said you get benefits, regardless of how your book. So they would be expected to give you the benefits.😂 I realize that thatís not what you want it to say
Orange County Commuter is offline  
Old Sep 20, 23, 5:29 pm
  #20  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 429
Thank you all. Your points make a lot of sense. I don't have any loyalty to a particular hotel brand and my trips vary in terms of international/domestic. For example, I just set up a Marriott Bonvoy account last month, but I have had a Skymiles account since 2002.

I am going to Punta Cana and am not staying at a name-brand resort. The price on the resort's website was the same as through Delta's website/Expedia. I am hoping everything will be okay.
pofriri is offline  
Old Sep 20, 23, 6:03 pm
  #21  
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: AMS
Programs: Hertz - Presidents Circle; Delta Skymiles - Platinum
Posts: 338
Originally Posted by Robert Leach
The problem with these hotels booked through Delta is that, as I understand it, you won't get hotel program benefits or credits. Those are hugely important to me, so I won't be booking hotels through Delta, even though it would likely be enough spend to put me over the new DM MQD threshold.

To think that DMs would be content with Expedia-bargain rooms is a bit nutty.
Even with Expedia-Bargain rooms one can earn gold status with Expedia after 15 nights in hotels / rental car dates. The status gives some minor perks and accumulates travel cashback.

I wonder if Hertz President's circle status and gold counter are recognized when booked via Delta.
Firstboss is offline  
Old Sep 20, 23, 9:28 pm
  #22  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Shanghai
Posts: 40,643
Originally Posted by pofriri
I am going to Punta Cana and am not staying at a name-brand resort. The price on the resort's website was the same as through Delta's website/Expedia. I am hoping everything will be okay.
Did you check other OTAs as well?
moondog is offline  
Old Sep 20, 23, 9:35 pm
  #23  
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
Posts: 2,753
Originally Posted by WannabePBA
Not to mention the fact that the first people to get walked by hotels in an oversold situation are 3rd party bookings. Doubt Delta has made agreements with every single hotel in the world that their customers won't get walked...
True, but hotels and 3rd parties generally do a very good job managing inventory. I book 3rd party hotel rooms around 120 nights a year and only once not ended up with a room. These are not rental car companies where a reservation is not a reservation.
DLASflyer is offline  
Old Sep 21, 23, 8:53 am
  #24  
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: OSH
Programs: SWRR, HH, SM, TSA Pre
Posts: 672
Originally Posted by Firstboss
Even with Expedia-Bargain rooms one can earn gold status with Expedia after 15 nights in hotels / rental car dates. The status gives some minor perks and accumulates travel cashback.

I wonder if Hertz President's circle status and gold counter are recognized when booked via Delta.
It would depend on if it's post paid or pre paid and what the agreement between Hertz and Delta says. If it's pre paid, and you paid Delta for the rental, no chance. If it's post paid and you can enter your Gold number, maybe. Capital One is having this issue now where they give 10x points for booking through their portal, offer Hertz PC status, but you can't use PC if you book through their portal. Booking through Priceline and Autoslash I've gotten my Gold benefits with Hertz.
EAJuggalo is offline  
Old Sep 21, 23, 10:32 am
  #25  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 4,651
Originally Posted by DCAproducer
What Delta needs to do is something similar to what AMEX has with Fine Hotels & Resorts properties. The deal with AMEX basically gives you the same (or better) benefits as status, and in my experience with Hilton, I get my Diamond Hilton benefits in addition to the AMEX benefits. Plus AMEX gives 5x MR points on bookings through their site. If DL were to do something like this with hotel bookings it would be an interesting proposition, but I don't see that happening. My issue with car rentals through DL is that any time I've cross shopped Delta over the car rental companies directly (with the AMEX Platinum discount) DL is always more expensive. My MQDs are going to come from buying more F fares and putting $75k plus on my Reserve card. I don't anticipate I'll use the hotel bookings, but time will tell.
$27,500 is a lot of MQDs to fly to make DM. The good thing now is you can combine the flying MQD with Amex spend. Before it was one or the other 20,000 MQD or $250k spend. Now if you see that you will be a little short on flying MQD you can just prepay some tax to IRS in Dec/24 and get a refund instead of a mileage run.
hhdl likes this.
sydneyracquelle is online now  
Old Sep 21, 23, 11:26 pm
  #26  
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Syracuse, NY
Programs: DL Diamond 1+MM / HH Lifetime Diamond
Posts: 384
Originally Posted by Robert Leach
The problem with these hotels booked through Delta is that, as I understand it, you won't get hotel program benefits or credits. Those are hugely important to me, so I won't be booking hotels through Delta, even though it would likely be enough spend to put me over the new DM MQD threshold.

To think that DMs would be content with Expedia-bargain rooms is a bit nutty.
Exactly. What the arrogant Delta execs havenít figured out yet is the airline is only about 25-33% of the journey. Similar to how their customers who have earned Diamond or Platinum the hard way, those same core customers who have higher tier status earned the hard way at hotels arenít going to give up their status, benefits, upgrades, perks, points just to make Delta happy.

Last time I checked I spend more time in a hotel and a rental car on a week long domestic trip than the airplane and clubs.

These people have lost their minds.
Robert Leach and amieuro like this.
syrwhizzy is offline  
Old Sep 22, 23, 6:53 am
  #27  
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,321
Originally Posted by syrwhizzy
Exactly. What the arrogant Delta execs havenít figured out yet is the airline is only about 25-33% of the journey. Similar to how their customers who have earned Diamond or Platinum the hard way, those same core customers who have higher tier status earned the hard way at hotels arenít going to give up their status, benefits, upgrades, perks, points just to make Delta happy.

Last time I checked I spend more time in a hotel and a rental car on a week long domestic trip than the airplane and clubs.

These people have lost their minds.

Nope. They figured it out. They want some of the rest of that money.

They know that apparently thereís a subset of Americans, whose entire self image is tied to being a certain status on an airline and will probably jump through any hoop to get there. And some of you will still be here two years now jumping through the hoops

The only group that Delta is really concerned about keeping happy is the executives at American Express. Because, even though all of us are storming off to another airline six months from now, the net impact to Deltaís bottom line on actual tickets, but will be negligible.
moondog and hhdl like this.

Last edited by Orange County Commuter; Sep 22, 23 at 7:03 am
Orange County Commuter is offline  
Old Sep 22, 23, 7:05 am
  #28  
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,321
Originally Posted by pofriri
Thank you all. Your points make a lot of sense. I don't have any loyalty to a particular hotel brand and my trips vary in terms of international/domestic. For example, I just set up a Marriott Bonvoy account last month, but I have had a Skymiles account since 2002.

I am going to Punta Cana and am not staying at a name-brand resort. The price on the resort's website was the same as through Delta's website/Expedia. I am hoping everything will be okay.

I have done this with DeltaĎs hotel booking at least twice I think, Iíve never had a problem.

Itís the same reason you did. It was a good deal and itís not a hotel that Iím ever going to have status on even if they have a frequent sleeper program.😂
Iím a Marriott person and the Marriott options in Punta Cana do nothing for me Iím not spending my vacation there just to get points
moondog and pofriri like this.
Orange County Commuter is offline  
Old Sep 22, 23, 10:54 am
  #29  
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Washington, DC
Programs: Delta PM, Delta Reserve, Amex Plat, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold ;)
Posts: 1,725
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
$27,500 is a lot of MQDs to fly to make DM. The good thing now is you can combine the flying MQD with Amex spend. Before it was one or the other 20,000 MQD or $250k spend. Now if you see that you will be a little short on flying MQD you can just prepay some tax to IRS in Dec/24 and get a refund instead of a mileage run.
A lot of spend on the AMEX. Remember it's a 20:1 ratio, so 100k in spend is only 5,000 MQD
DCAproducer is offline  
Old Sep 22, 23, 4:53 pm
  #30  
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Washington, DC
Programs: Delta PM, Delta Reserve, Amex Plat, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold ;)
Posts: 1,725
Originally Posted by DrMilano
Delta doesnít want to investment money on a similar AmEx FHR or Visa Infinite Luxury hotel booking portal, as this would cost too much money for a company that now brands itself as providing a ďpremium [travel] experienceĒ. Delta is just an other player looking for a slice of a travel booking commission using Expediaís back end IT infrastructure.

I find it assuming that Delta destroyed the independent travel agent commission by directing customer bookings directly to delta.com and is now going after the hotel and car rental industry commissions by dangling MQDís as a carrot. Delta has realized itís a lot cheaper to act as a credit card marketer and travel agency, rather than focusing on itcore business of flying airplanes.
Whatís also a bit odd is that I donít see corporate travelers booking through Delta. I could be wrong, but most are going to continue to book through corporate travel, Ie Concur, etc.
DCAproducer is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.