TK J vs DeltaOne?

Old Sep 16, 2023, 1:01 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: PNW
Programs: FreeAgent; DL Silver; IHG Diamond/ Ambassador
Posts: 689
TK J vs DeltaOne?

Anyone flown Turkish Airlines Business class? How does it compare to Delta One?

I am SEA-based and I am currently mapping my flights for next year. I usually fly to Southeast Asia and Japan. I am thinking of switching to ANA/JAL for Japan trips and Turkish on the occasional trips to Southeast Asia. Sure it is the longer route, but I figured it would at least net me more miles and points in a shorter amount of time while I build up more of Japan flying. The fares are the cheapest on TK, and less than half what DL charges.

It would be really great to get status on Star Alliance although with the recent changes at Skymiles, I am planning on not giving any attention to any airline-owned FF anymore and instead focus on credit card points giving me more flexibility.
hikouki is offline  
Old Sep 16, 2023, 2:01 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 140
I have flown THY in J on a 777. Old style business class 2-3-2 config , so not all seats have direct aisle access but great for sleeping as they are wider then D1. I believe the 787 has an all aisle access in J but the reviews of the new seats are not very good.
Food on THY is far superior to Delta and so is the lounge at IST.
hartfordsam is offline  
Old Sep 16, 2023, 2:19 pm
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: PNW
Programs: FreeAgent; DL Silver; IHG Diamond/ Ambassador
Posts: 689
Originally Posted by hartfordsam
I have flown THY in J on a 777. Old style business class 2-3-2 config , so not all seats have direct aisle access but great for sleeping as they are wider then D1. I believe the 787 has an all aisle access in J but the reviews of the new seats are not very good.
Food on THY is far superior to Delta and so is the lounge at IST.
Thanks for the reply!

On the routes I am looking it, it looks like 787 from SEA to IST, then transferring to A350 then vv. I think those two planes have the same seats?
hikouki is offline  
Old Sep 16, 2023, 2:25 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 140
Originally Posted by hikouki
Thanks for the reply!

On the routes I am looking it, it looks like 787 from SEA to IST, then transferring to A350 then vv. I think those two planes have the same seats?
I am not sure but i would think so as these are newer aircrafts. Pull them on either seatguru or Aerolopa.
hartfordsam is offline  
Old Sep 17, 2023, 3:01 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: London
Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Posts: 2,327
Originally Posted by hartfordsam
I am not sure but i would think so as these are newer aircrafts. Pull them on either seatguru or Aerolopa.
Seat guru is not supported anymore, so not reliable at all
Duck1981 is offline  
Old Sep 17, 2023, 7:49 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 1,262
TK 787 J is far superior to any D1 product in both hard and soft product.
DLATL777 likes this.
RetiredATLATC is offline  
Old Sep 17, 2023, 7:51 am
  #7  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: BOS/EAP
Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Posts: 31,978
TK 787 all the way ... just avoid the 777, the 2-3-2 is not pleasant in any way. Catering is better on TK as well and the IST lounges are great.
cfischer is offline  
Old Sep 17, 2023, 8:05 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Posts: 2,994
Originally Posted by cfischer
TK 787 all the way ... just avoid the 777, the 2-3-2 is not pleasant in any way. Catering is better on TK as well and the IST lounges are great.
I know folks all prioritize different things but the 2-3-2 seats - as a wide shouldered 6'3" guy - are more comfortable for sleeping than any D1 seat in my experience. I know that many folks value other things and agree that Delta wins on privacy and direct aisle access.

Just a word of warning, TK customer service is nothing like Delta's. I flew TK J ATL-KUL once (with the BKK-KUL leg on Thai). There was an MX delay in IST that caused a misconnect in BKK. They said, best we can do is a rebook on Thai for 24h later with a hotel voucher and food covered. I said, ok, I'll find other options hoping for reimbursement. Spent like $250 on 2X one way tickets on an ULCC (less than the value of hotel and food offered... And keep in mind the Thai leg was lieflat vs. 29" pitch on an Asian ULCC) that got me there 20 hours earlier than TK proposed. I tried to get reimbursed and they refused even though it was less than the cost of the voucher and F&B offered. Just wanted to share that story for awareness. Delta would have reimbursed no issue even with no status in a similar situation flying J.
ethernal is offline  
Old Sep 17, 2023, 8:10 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Jul 2022
Programs: Delta Skymiles
Posts: 15
Turkish Downsides

The Turkish in flight experience is very good. However, their on time performance is abysmal. Departing ATL, for example, over 95% of their flights have been delayed more than 45 minutes during the last year. Turkish's back office technology is horrendously amateurish. If you miss a connection, no one will be able to help you until you physically reach the the "Transfer Desk" in IST for a re-booking. If you call Reservations for help to re-book you on a flight that has availability, you will be informed there is nothing they can do until you reach IST. Their ground handling is chaotic. Their website will frequently freeze for good if your itinerary is affected by a disruption. Any goodwill fostered by a positive in inflight experience is quickly destroyed by their airport handling during irregular operations.
ethernal, AJNEDC and ofj like this.
Phantom1 is offline  
Old Sep 17, 2023, 10:27 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Atlanta, GA, USA
Programs: 2024: Delta SkyMiles Diamond, Hilton Honors Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
Posts: 41
I've flown Turkish business many times from Atlanta and definitely recommend it. Enjoy their catering very much.
rdrakea is offline  
Old Sep 17, 2023, 11:14 am
  #11  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: PNW
Programs: FreeAgent; DL Silver; IHG Diamond/ Ambassador
Posts: 689
Originally Posted by ethernal
I know folks all prioritize different things but the 2-3-2 seats - as a wide shouldered 6'3" guy - are more comfortable for sleeping than any D1 seat in my experience. I know that many folks value other things and agree that Delta wins on privacy and direct aisle access.

Just a word of warning, TK customer service is nothing like Delta's. I flew TK J ATL-KUL once (with the BKK-KUL leg on Thai). There was an MX delay in IST that caused a misconnect in BKK. They said, best we can do is a rebook on Thai for 24h later with a hotel voucher and food covered. I said, ok, I'll find other options hoping for reimbursement. Spent like $250 on 2X one way tickets on an ULCC (less than the value of hotel and food offered... And keep in mind the Thai leg was lieflat vs. 29" pitch on an Asian ULCC) that got me there 20 hours earlier than TK proposed. I tried to get reimbursed and they refused even though it was less than the cost of the voucher and F&B offered. Just wanted to share that story for awareness. Delta would have reimbursed no issue even with no status in a similar situation flying J.
Originally Posted by Phantom1
The Turkish in flight experience is very good. However, their on time performance is abysmal. Departing ATL, for example, over 95% of their flights have been delayed more than 45 minutes during the last year. Turkish's back office technology is horrendously amateurish. If you miss a connection, no one will be able to help you until you physically reach the the "Transfer Desk" in IST for a re-booking. If you call Reservations for help to re-book you on a flight that has availability, you will be informed there is nothing they can do until you reach IST. Their ground handling is chaotic. Their website will frequently freeze for good if your itinerary is affected by a disruption. Any goodwill fostered by a positive in inflight experience is quickly destroyed by their airport handling during irregular operations.
Thank you both for the warning about IROPS. My recent domestic experience with DL IROPS was quite distressing though I imagine not as traumatic as being stuck in another country.

FYI, I am familiar with that experience of "...nothing you can do until you reach [main hub]..." I used to fly AA/CX quite a bit in a previous life and CX was notorious for that. AA OTOH always took care of me - the same way DL used to.

I anticipate that I will be flying ANA mostly on quick transpacs, and use TK once or twice a year. I would take it that ANA is way more efficient in handling IROPS than TK? I dread UA though I anticipate only once or twice a year domestics on them.

Last edited by hikouki; Sep 17, 2023 at 11:28 am
hikouki is offline  
Old Sep 17, 2023, 8:43 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: KUSA
Programs: Whatever AMEX Plat comes with... I buy on price.. Spirit Big Front Seat, want First/buy First
Posts: 1,474
Originally Posted by hikouki
Thank you both for the warning about IROPS. My recent domestic experience with DL IROPS was quite distressing though I imagine not as traumatic as being stuck in another country.

FYI, I am familiar with that experience of "...nothing you can do until you reach [main hub]..." I used to fly AA/CX quite a bit in a previous life and CX was notorious for that. AA OTOH always took care of me - the same way DL used to.

I anticipate that I will be flying ANA mostly on quick transpacs, and use TK once or twice a year. I would take it that ANA is way more efficient in handling IROPS than TK? I dread UA though I anticipate only once or twice a year domestics on them.
Yes, I've had lengthy delay before out of IAD to transit IST for Europe (but found out that $2000 round trip J tickets have a downside...). Would cause me to definitely misconnect in Istanbul, and there were nonstops on United (same alliance) to my final destination and they told me to wait until Istanbul to investigate options. (Yeah, I should have just flown United in the first place - like I ended up doing on my own miles that trip - but I had booked a couple days in Istanbul on my return, which TK is generous in allowing and on one night forced layovers due to schedule will put you in a hotel or take you on a tour of the city).

The catering... I know everyone seems to love it. I guess it's the novelty of a chef in a floppy hat on board and use of nice presentation and trolleys. But if you think you're halfway sick of seeing short ribs on Delta... just wait until you become acquainted with "Seafood Potpourri" or "Rigatoni in Tomato Sauce" on TK. Nothing like flying them four long haul segments in one trip and having the exact same menu on all four flights.

Crews are nice enough. Probably less English than you'd find on European carriers. They are the only airline where I've had trouble connecting to wifi and the flight attendant took the phone from my hands and did some sort of back-door IP address entry to the onboard server to connect me. I've also found they do stick to their routine more often than not. When they've decided it's time for the cabin to sleep, you will sleep, and you will see the crew again when they put the lights on (and like a coordinated show are already standing in the dark at the end of each aisle with a tray of juice). Only really has been bothersome on westbound flights... when I am leaving IST at 4pm and getting into the US at 7pm, I don't want to sleep for 6 hours, despite the best efforts of the crew. "I make the bed now, you will sleep?"
JAXPax is offline  
Old Sep 17, 2023, 10:07 pm
  #13  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: PNW
Programs: FreeAgent; DL Silver; IHG Diamond/ Ambassador
Posts: 689
Originally Posted by JAXPax
Yes, I've had lengthy delay before out of IAD to transit IST for Europe (but found out that $2000 round trip J tickets have a downside...). Would cause me to definitely misconnect in Istanbul, and there were nonstops on United (same alliance) to my final destination and they told me to wait until Istanbul to investigate options. (Yeah, I should have just flown United in the first place - like I ended up doing on my own miles that trip - but I had booked a couple days in Istanbul on my return, which TK is generous in allowing and on one night forced layovers due to schedule will put you in a hotel or take you on a tour of the city).

The catering... I know everyone seems to love it. I guess it's the novelty of a chef in a floppy hat on board and use of nice presentation and trolleys. But if you think you're halfway sick of seeing short ribs on Delta... just wait until you become acquainted with "Seafood Potpourri" or "Rigatoni in Tomato Sauce" on TK. Nothing like flying them four long haul segments in one trip and having the exact same menu on all four flights.

Crews are nice enough. Probably less English than you'd find on European carriers. They are the only airline where I've had trouble connecting to wifi and the flight attendant took the phone from my hands and did some sort of back-door IP address entry to the onboard server to connect me. I've also found they do stick to their routine more often than not. When they've decided it's time for the cabin to sleep, you will sleep, and you will see the crew again when they put the lights on (and like a coordinated show are already standing in the dark at the end of each aisle with a tray of juice). Only really has been bothersome on westbound flights... when I am leaving IST at 4pm and getting into the US at 7pm, I don't want to sleep for 6 hours, despite the best efforts of the crew. "I make the bed now, you will sleep?"
It seems I have an 8 or 9-hour layover in between flights in IST. I suppose that is enough connecting time in case of any delays. In total, it is about a 30-34hour trip each way for something that would have only taken under 20 hours (including connecting times) when going the 'right' way (transpacific). However, TK is about half the price of ANA/JAL/Korean, and depending on the dates, 1/3 or even 1/5 the price of DeltaOne.

I don't eat beef so no ribs for me. But I have been served stale grilled salmon, of all routes, out of SEA on DL.
hikouki is offline  
Old Sep 17, 2023, 11:40 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Auckland, NZ/New York, NY/ATL
Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
Posts: 5,213
TK 787 or A350 10000 times over DL. With that said, beware of the equipment swap to the crap 777 inside of 60 days. TK is famous for changing aircraft types.
DLATL777 is offline  
Old Sep 18, 2023, 3:15 am
  #15  
TPJ
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Posts: 7,884
Originally Posted by JAXPax
I've also found they do stick to their routine more often than not. When they've decided it's time for the cabin to sleep, you will sleep, and you will see the crew again when they put the lights on (and like a coordinated show are already standing in the dark at the end of each aisle with a tray of juice). Only really has been bothersome on westbound flights... when I am leaving IST at 4pm and getting into the US at 7pm, I don't want to sleep for 6 hours, despite the best efforts of the crew. "I make the bed now, you will sleep?"
TK decided that F/A's need to work in accordance with the published routine. No own ideas - just follow the standards.

Please remember that till the end of 1980's TK was a terrible local carrier with Y-class only mostly flying 'Gastarbeiters' to a few Western European destinations. When the transformation started they apparently decided it is easier to keep consistent service standards by enforcing certain routine/standard practices. It is like this till today...

But please remember that you are welcome/encouraged to use the call button - it is not UA - you will not hear 'this is for emergencies only' crap - you will be served whatever you like with a smile... Do not hesitate to use...

And finally - B777 C-class seats are not crap - they are the best option for sleeping - very wide and comfortable. But if you like a nice Instragram picture - this is not an aircraft type for you...

Last edited by TPJ; Sep 18, 2023 at 3:26 am Reason: gramar
TPJ is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.