Benefits Past Diamond

Old Aug 19, 2023, 7:39 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Dayton, OH/CVG
Programs: DA Diamond(1 MM), Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador/Charter Ambassador, Hyatt Glob, Hertz Presidents Circle
Posts: 878
Benefits Past Diamond

FT friends,
Just a bit of a random thought chain: I just re-qulaified for Diamond for next year with the "full house"--MQD, MQM(which is a layup with roll overs) and MQS. I have been Diamond every year since 2015, but have never been able to spend enough to get the 360 invite. At this stage every year after re qualifying, the thought hits me of what next. I will finish the year around $45K MQD. Not enough for 360 im sure, but still higher than a lot of other diamonds.. Yet in 2024 I will be competing against the Diamonds who hit the spend by $20,001 for example.

I know its the nature of loyalty programs. There is an upper limit where now instead of gaining additional benefits, i will just enjoy the ones I have earned. Just thinking outloud . I wont "cheat" on Delta so it is what it is. They treat me well and get me from point A to B very effectively.
Ryno1234 is offline  
Old Aug 19, 2023, 7:57 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: RDU
Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Posts: 3,201
Originally Posted by Ryno1234
FT friends,
Just a bit of a random thought chain: I just re-qulaified for Diamond for next year with the "full house"--MQD, MQM(which is a layup with roll overs) and MQS. I have been Diamond every year since 2015, but have never been able to spend enough to get the 360 invite. At this stage every year after re qualifying, the thought hits me of what next. I will finish the year around $45K MQD. Not enough for 360 im sure, but still higher than a lot of other diamonds.. Yet in 2024 I will be competing against the Diamonds who hit the spend by $20,001 for example.

I know its the nature of loyalty programs. There is an upper limit where now instead of gaining additional benefits, i will just enjoy the ones I have earned. Just thinking outloud . I wont "cheat" on Delta so it is what it is. They treat me well and get me from point A to B very effectively.
I wouldn't make any decisions based on trying to hit a tier that doesn't have a published criteria. I know when I worked at UA, many of the GS pax were offered status not because of how much they pay/fly but because of their influence on other potential business. (Read: Corporate travel managers and the like). Also the benefits of 360 really aren't that much better than regular DM.

The good news is that you can go "free agent" for the rest of the year and fly what's best for you.

This is probably my last year hitting DM. DL's program isn't competitive for my style of flying ($25-30K spend, 60-80 MQS, <100,000mi). In the past I would fly extra MQS just to hit DM, but even if I wanted to do that now, there aren't as many options post-covid. I might status match to UA and I should be easily able to maintain 1K there.
HDQDD is offline  
Old Aug 19, 2023, 8:10 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: West of CLE
Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Prfrence
Posts: 5,320
Have you tried contacting Delta's district marketing manager about the 360 tier?

My sister-in-law's husband is a 6 MMer, having flown Delta for over 40 years; almost all his travel is domestic and on short notice. When I discussed 360 with him a few years ago, he had never heard of it. I told him he should pick up the phone and contact the Delta marketing manager where he lives; I'm not sure he ever did.
ND76 is offline  
Old Aug 19, 2023, 8:42 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 4,976
Originally Posted by Ryno1234
FT friends,
Just a bit of a random thought chain: I just re-qulaified for Diamond for next year with the "full house"--MQD, MQM(which is a layup with roll overs) and MQS. I have been Diamond every year since 2015, but have never been able to spend enough to get the 360 invite. At this stage every year after re qualifying, the thought hits me of what next. I will finish the year around $45K MQD. Not enough for 360 im sure, but still higher than a lot of other diamonds.. Yet in 2024 I will be competing against the Diamonds who hit the spend by $20,001 for example.

I know its the nature of loyalty programs. There is an upper limit where now instead of gaining additional benefits, i will just enjoy the ones I have earned. Just thinking outloud . I wont "cheat" on Delta so it is what it is. They treat me well and get me from point A to B very effectively.
With everyone swimming in MQMs from rollover they need another tier called Double Diamond with maybe 175,000-200,000 MQMs and $30,000 MQDs or $400,000 Amex spend. 360 is a subjective moving target that heavily depends on where you live. Two identical people with one based in ATL and one in another carriers hub, the ATL person wont make 360.
sydneyracquelle is online now  
Old Aug 19, 2023, 9:19 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 769
Just qualify on another program. I have similar spend but split it between a hub carrier (UA) and DL. I find it fairly easy to manage both although sometimes I have to manufacture segments (particularly on UA). Most importantly I almost never have to change planes when I fly. The lack of IRROPS alone makes the split worth it.

You are not "cheating" on DL. You are maximizing the return on money you will spend. There is zero wrong with maximizing return on spend - DL does it ALL the time. Having additional upgrade opportunities or even an alternative is much preferrable to being lead around by the nose by a company that honestly cares very little about you individually.
FlyingBeanCounter is offline  
Old Aug 19, 2023, 9:22 am
  #6  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Dayton, OH/CVG
Programs: DA Diamond(1 MM), Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador/Charter Ambassador, Hyatt Glob, Hertz Presidents Circle
Posts: 878
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
With everyone swimming in MQMs from rollover they need another tier called Double Diamond with maybe 175,000-200,000 MQMs and $30,000 MQDs or $400,000 Amex spend. 360 is a subjective moving target that heavily depends on where you live. Two identical people with one based in ATL and one in another carriers hub, the ATL person wont make 360.
That makes sense. Or maybe, after hitting Diamond for the next year, the Delta IT folks could figure out a way to use current spend as an additional tiebreaker for upgrades etc. That way as we continue to spend, the benefit could kick in.
Ryno1234 is offline  
Old Aug 19, 2023, 9:41 am
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Dayton, OH/CVG
Programs: DA Diamond(1 MM), Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador/Charter Ambassador, Hyatt Glob, Hertz Presidents Circle
Posts: 878
OP here: just realized i misspelled Diamond in the thread title like a tool!! not sure how to edit.
Ryno1234 is offline  
Old Aug 19, 2023, 9:58 am
  #8  
VFR
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: BOS
Programs: AA PP, DL PM
Posts: 2,073
Originally Posted by Ryno1234
That makes sense. Or maybe, after hitting Diamond for the next year, the Delta IT folks could figure out a way to use current spend as an additional tiebreaker for upgrades etc. That way as we continue to spend, the benefit could kick in.
AA does this ties within a tier are broken by rolling 12 month loyalty points. The thing about this is that it makes the other tiebreakers (Reserve card, corporate travelers, MQD waiver, million miler) pretty much irrelevant, so DL loses upgrade priority as a way to incentivize these things.
VFR is offline  
Old Aug 19, 2023, 10:15 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Programs: Waffle House DM
Posts: 464
Or you could just consider that the number of times you get to go around the Sun is a finite, but unknown number, and sitting in an aluminum tube with socially dysfunctional strangers may not be the optimum way to spend your time on that journey. Just saying.
BER Flyer and VFR like this.
Slow learner is offline  
Old Aug 19, 2023, 11:58 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Georgia
Programs: DL DM/2MM
Posts: 1,009
At least DM has become more exclusive with MQD requirements increasing from $12,500 to $20,000.
safigan is offline  
Old Aug 19, 2023, 12:50 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 4,976
Originally Posted by safigan
At least DM has become more exclusive with MQD requirements increasing from $12,500 to $20,000.
The DM MQD increase was from $15,000 to $20,000.
DrMilano and doubleA like this.
sydneyracquelle is online now  
Old Aug 19, 2023, 1:57 pm
  #12  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Posts: 21,236
Originally Posted by Ryno1234
OP here: just realized i misspelled Diamond in the thread title like a tool!! not sure how to edit.
click Edit on your first post that has the title, click Go Advanced; after you make the change click Save
Air Houston likes this.
jrl767 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.