Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Vancouver BC Departure/US Citizen Question

Old Jul 30, 2023, 11:55 am
Original Poster

Dear Vancouver/Delta friends,

I have a 3:24 pm Delta flight from YVR to SEA (and on to SLC) on Saturday Octobr 28th.

I have no checked bags. I will use the MPC US Customs app (I don't have Global Entry). I realize I clear US Customers in Vancouver.

What do you think is the latest I can get to the airport? I might not be able to get there until 2:15 pm. I realize the Vancouver website sais 3 hours prior. But I'm old (in my 60s) and like an adventure. Haha.

Thanks for your help/expertise.

Richard
Old Jul 30, 2023, 1:28 pm

Programs: DL Gold, UA Gold, B6 Mosaic, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by happydad100
Dear Vancouver/Delta friends,

I have a 3:24 pm Delta flight from YVR to SEA (and on to SLC) on Saturday Octobr 28th.

I have no checked bags. I will use the MPC US Customs app (I don't have Global Entry). I realize I clear US Customers in Vancouver.

What do you think is the latest I can get to the airport? I might not be able to get there until 2:15 pm. I realize the Vancouver website sais 3 hours prior. But I'm old (in my 60s) and like an adventure. Haha.

Thanks for your help/expertise.

Richard
3 pm isn't right in a US departure peak, but on my last trip through YVR, it took almost an hour, even with Global Entry, to get gate side.
dw, happydad100 and wrp96 like this.
Old Jul 30, 2023, 1:30 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
Canadian security is what takes the longest, not US CBP. Youll have to take out laptop, liquids, belt, shoes, jacket, etc and the lines move very slowly. 75 minutes is definitely pushing it but may be doable.
Old Jul 30, 2023, 2:02 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Yeah, I concur. Canadian security seems to take longer than clearing immigration in YVR. Seemed a bit slower than usual last year. i think they're understaffed in the US terminal

if you have amex plat card or priority pass you can access the Plaza Premium lounge in the transborder terminal. Its quite nice and way better than the AC lounge
manacit and raylee123 like this.
Old Jul 30, 2023, 2:31 pm

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA + Star Alliance Gold
If you have your physical Global Entry card, you can use the Trusted Traveler lane / section on the Canadian security side of things. It was a speedier process on my last time at YVR (though, that was admittedly domestic). You have to show the physical card, though, to the Canadian security team.

Edit: Realized you said you don't have Global Entry - leaving the post up for others - apologies!
zmb likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2023, 5:57 pm

They are changing the security requirements for Trusted Travellers (GE, Nexus, etc.) to make it a more PreCheck-type experience, but at this point only in selected airports, including Toronto, but not including YVR, alas. Until the change propagates itself over there, 2:15 pm arrival is quite risky. I think doors close 15 minutes before, so you're talking less than an hour. I wouldn't be comfortable with that even with GE.
Old Jul 30, 2023, 6:05 pm

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
I would be there 1:30 latest, and not be comfortable with that. But that's just mje.
lsquare likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2023, 6:05 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
Originally Posted by wanderingtheearth
They are changing the security requirements for Trusted Travellers (GE, Nexus, etc.) to make it a more PreCheck-type experience, but at this point only in selected airports, including Toronto, but not including YVR, alas. Until the change propagates itself over there, 2:15 pm arrival is quite risky. I think doors close 15 minutes before, so you're talking less than an hour. I wouldn't be comfortable with that even with GE.
Yes the new program is called Verified Traveller. Unfortunately it has not been operational at any transborder terminals I have been to since it launched in June. There is no light version so if the VT lane is closed, you have to take everything out. CATSA is at least 10 years behind the TSA on this stuff.
Old Jul 30, 2023, 6:15 pm

I'll be glad when they catch up. Lately I've been traveling with an in-cabin pet who isn't too cooperative with the whole process and having to worry about electronics, etc. on top of managing them when I don't even have to do so flying the same route in reverse is no fun!
Old Jul 30, 2023, 9:07 pm

YYC recently was a similarly brutal experience. US CBP took all of ~10 seconds, but CATSA security took 50 minutes from the time I entered the line and started the stopwatch. Pretty much every single large carry-on was getting flagged for manual screening. The staff were trying their best but there were only two lanes open in the early afternoon.
happydad100 likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2023, 11:20 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Plat, Hilton Diamond, KLM Silver
Originally Posted by blueflyer3
YYC recently was a similarly brutal experience. US CBP took all of ~10 seconds, but CATSA security took 50 minutes from the time I entered the line and started the stopwatch. Pretty much every single large carry-on was getting flagged for manual screening. The staff were trying their best but there were only two lanes open in the early afternoon.

with a nexus card and a platinum American Express Ive timed it multiple times at various airports and for example at Pearson it takes no longer then 6 minutes from Uber drop off to the gate. YEG/YYC same thing under 10 minutes. I havent been to YVR on the international side in a while but Im assuming its going to be similar with a nexus card. Not sure if YVR has Amex Platinum priority security lanes at YVR something to look up.
Old Jul 31, 2023, 2:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by tessy143
with a nexus card and a platinum American Express Ive timed it multiple times at various airports and for example at Pearson it takes no longer then 6 minutes from Uber drop off to the gate. YEG/YYC same thing under 10 minutes. I havent been to YVR on the international side in a while but Im assuming its going to be similar with a nexus card. Not sure if YVR has Amex Platinum priority security lanes at YVR something to look up.
Don't think so. I have never seen it.
Old Jul 31, 2023, 8:20 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by blueflyer3
Our recent experience couldn't have been more different. No line at security and CBP was so quick we were like "is that it?" Went from dropping off the rental car to being airside in less than a 1/2 hour, which included checking bags.
happydad100 likes this.

Last edited by Cledaybuck; Aug 1, 2023 at 8:49 am
Old Jul 31, 2023, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott Amb (LTT)
From a Canadian post: https://www.canada.ca/en/transport-c...ravellers.html

Verified Traveler is supposed to be available at YVR.

Doesn't apply to OP either way since they don't have Global Entry.

-RM
Old Jul 31, 2023, 2:14 pm

"Verified Traveler is supposed to be available at YVR."

Not for this scenario. Click on the "transborder flights" tab. Only Montreal and Toronto.

Anyway, having GE/Nexus establishes the fastest route through (no Amex priority lane unless things have changed VERY recently), and ~45 mins is too risky even for that, so definitely not for the original poster.
lsquare likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.