Wiki Posts
Search

SkyMile Options to JNB

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2023, 3:07 pm
Formerly known as scootr29
Original Poster

SkyMile Options to JNB

Where did the KLM and AF options go. I am searching from IAD, NYC, ORD, DTW and nothing.

Everything now routes thru ATL and cheapest I am seeing is 276,000 pp in Delta One with the 15% discount.

I guess my days of flying to JNB with SkyMiles is OVER.
Old May 30, 2023, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am able to find CDG-JNB.

Old May 30, 2023, 4:03 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Out of North America you likely won’t find anything. Too much demand, too little supply. Search out of a gateway like NRT or ICN, then buy the (relatively) short positioning flight with another FFP miles or on an LCC like AirAsia or Zipair, which for J are often reasonable cost.
Old May 30, 2023, 4:07 pm

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Use the options drop-down and deselect ATL as a connection. You’ll get CDG/AMS options depending on date. Maybe LHR - is VS still flying to JNB/CPT?
Old May 30, 2023, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

DL harmonized partner metal with DL metal awards out of US/Canada last Fall. You can find VS availability, but it won't be any less miles than lowest level DL metal awards due to harmonization and they also won't qualify for 15% AMEX discount. Also, the lowest award levels have a roundtrip booking requirement out of US/Canada. Booking as one-ways each way will cost more miles even when booked on exact same flights. As others have noted, you need to start outside of US/Canada to find lower partner levels now.

Lowest D1 levels out of US look to be 225.2K each-way for a roundtip booking on JFK-JNB on DL metal with Amex 15% discount. The 'R' in fare basis code indicates a roundtrip booking requirement (you can't book one-way awards for 225.2K, but you can mix them with awards in a lower class as long as booked on a roundtrip basis).

McCharms likes this.

Last edited by xliioper; May 30, 2023 at 4:53 pm
Old May 30, 2023, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mot29
Use the options drop-down and deselect ATL as a connection. You’ll get CDG/AMS options depending on date. Maybe LHR - is VS still flying to JNB/CPT?
VS awards won't be any cheaper when starting out of US/Canada due to harmonization last Fall (and the cheapest option out of US/Canada will require DL metal to get 15% Amex discount). Cheapest awards on VS metal will be 530K roundtrip (CSTR265K awards) vs 450.4K roundtrip on DL metal with AMEX 15% discount (CSTR2252 awards above).

Last edited by xliioper; May 30, 2023 at 5:01 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.