Wiki Posts
Search

Unable to book A or G fare

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2023, 7:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL - DM, Charter KM; Marriott Ambassador
Unable to book A or G fare

Trying to book DL 71 on June 29th (AMS-ATL) and Delta.com only showing P available. EF shows A3 and G3 but I'm unable to get this to price out. I tried calling and the phone agent (who I don't have the most confidence in) said no A or G fares available. EF has never been wrong before so I'm thinking it's user error on my part here. Can anyone more knowledgable than me assist?
Old May 25, 2023, 8:01 am

Programs: DL DM
There are no applicable A or G fares on the date/route. P is the applicable fare for that date. Just because there is inventory, it does not mean there is a fare.
MichaelKade likes this.
Old May 25, 2023, 8:03 am
Original Poster

Thanks. Beyond the absence of these, how would one know that?
Old May 25, 2023, 8:05 am

Programs: DL DM
Read the rules of the fare, which may take days. Otherwise, the system can read them faster and determine quickly.
MichaelKade and hhdl like this.
Old May 25, 2023, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

ExpertFlyer will show all applicable fares for a date (regardless of actual inventory availability) with a fare search. Basically, all A and G fares on this route ex-AMS have a roundtrip booking requirement, and if you are booking a one-way there are only a couple P fares that are applicable for one-way bookings. The cheaper A and G also have a 6 day min stay requirement with the cheapest G fares having a 45 day AP (there are also 21 day, 14 day, and 7 day AP A and G fares with increasing fare prices as you get closer in to booking).

For ex-ATL fares on the route, there are some one-way A fares with 90 day AP (along with 50 day, 28 day, 10 day, and no AP one-way P fares). But those don't apply when starting journey ex-AMS, and only ex-AMS fares can be booked. Unlike US domestic and US-CA fares, most long haul international fare filings are not symmetrical and different fare filings apply based on point of origin. All G fares ex-ATL have a roundtrip booking requirement.
spongenotbob, MichaelKade and hhdl like this.

Last edited by xliioper; May 25, 2023 at 8:32 am
Old May 25, 2023, 9:18 am
Original Poster

Wow - just checked and adding a return leg reduces the total cost by about $1k. If I wasn't worried about getting nicked for violated the CoC I'd book the RT and just cancel the return leg.
Old May 25, 2023, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
P fares are absurdly priced... don't feel bad about trying to save a buck as long as you don't make a habit of it.
Old May 26, 2023, 1:47 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Originally Posted by MichaelKade
Wow - just checked and adding a return leg reduces the total cost by about $1k. If I wasn't worried about getting nicked for violated the CoC I'd book the RT and just cancel the return leg.
Book it far out as an "aspirational" additional trip?
Old May 26, 2023, 6:16 am
Original Poster

I’m actually going to take it.

Currently routing AMS-ATL, ATL-DUB.

Changing to AMS-ATL-AMS RT, adding on AMS-DUB. Will use GUCs and sit main AMS-DUB.

It’ll save me nearly $3k. Absolutely insane.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.