Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL "accidentally" gave Silver/F0 status to my dad?

DL "accidentally" gave Silver/F0 status to my dad?

Old May 25, 23, 7:01 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: NYC
Programs: DL DM
Posts: 68
DL "accidentally" gave Silver/F0 status to my dad?

Hi all - I am a DL DM and the designated travel agent for my family. Yesterday, I booked my no-status parents on ATL-SCL while logged into my account. Obviously the system defaulted with my information (e.g. name, DOB, KTN, etc.), but I clicked the box "I'm not traveling" and continued to enter my parents' info. Upon payment, I noticed my father (who was pax #1 while I was filling out their info) has "Silver" status for this reservation.

I double checked and he spent $0 with DL for the last 3 years, so was this just a strange "gift" because I booked it "through" my DM account?
ZKrunk is offline  
Old May 25, 23, 7:14 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jan 2022
Programs: DL, UA, AA (the airline)
Posts: 1,297
Originally Posted by ZKrunk
Hi all - I am a DL DM and the designated travel agent for my family. Yesterday, I booked my no-status parents on ATL-SCL while logged into my account. Obviously the system defaulted with my information (e.g. name, DOB, KTN, etc.), but I clicked the box "I'm not traveling" and continued to enter my parents' info. Upon payment, I noticed my father (who was pax #1 while I was filling out their info) has "Silver" status for this reservation.

I double checked and he spent $0 with DL for the last 3 years, so was this just a strange "gift" because I booked it "through" my DM account?
It may have been rollovers, no? This might be the last year of that.
Goodoldflyer is offline  
Old May 25, 23, 7:47 am
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: NYC
Programs: DL DM
Posts: 68
Originally Posted by Goodoldflyer
It may have been rollovers, no? This might be the last year of that.
Nope, he has spent $0 with DL over the last 3 years. And besides that, he's an infrequent flyer (1-2x a year, usually on WN).
ZKrunk is offline  
Old May 25, 23, 7:55 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: Delta Diamond, AA Gold, UA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 9,541
Originally Posted by ZKrunk
Nope, he has spent $0 with DL over the last 3 years. And besides that, he's an infrequent flyer (1-2x a year, usually on WN).
Is your Dad a 1MMer which comes with "complimentary annual Silver Medallion status" and does not require any additional travel to maintain?
ATOBTTR is offline  
Old May 25, 23, 8:07 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: MSP
Programs: DL GM, MR Gold, Hilton Gold, National Exec
Posts: 463
Delta recently awarded Silver status to quite a few people as a promotion. It was awarded in April with expiration in October. Need to meet half of Silver requirements to keep. He should've received an email about it.
Air Houston likes this.
bloc0102 is offline  
Old May 25, 23, 8:36 am
  #6  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: NYC
Programs: DL DM
Posts: 68
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
Is your Dad a 1MMer which comes with "complimentary annual Silver Medallion status" and does not require any additional travel to maintain?
No, he is an old man that doesn't travel hardly ever. He has no status of any shape or form, including MM, with any airline. He usually flies 1-2x a year TPA-ALB on WN, and that's it.
ZKrunk is offline  
Old May 25, 23, 11:02 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Programs: DL DM/MM
Posts: 2,112
Originally Posted by ZKrunk
No, he is an old man that doesn't travel hardly ever. He has no status of any shape or form, including MM, with any airline. He usually flies 1-2x a year TPA-ALB on WN, and that's it.
Maybe call up DL and ask to see what happened? I'm sure that IT can look up that information for you. (Like you, I'm a DM also and I regularly book tickets for my family as well. It'd be nice to know if there's a reason for what happened.)
UVAhoo06 is offline  
Old May 25, 23, 11:20 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: ANC
Programs: DL PM
Posts: 1,456
A similar thing is currently happening to my parents. Back during the Covid Status Accelerators, both my parents made Silver. They flew twice in 2021 in Paid F, and with all the multipliers they squeaked out Silver. In 2022 they did not fly at all. Now in 2023 the Silver status expired back on 1/31, however they have a trip this September that still says Silver when you pull up their PNR. I chalked it up to DL IT. Not a big concern for benefits here as they are in F, but I can see where it would be confusing if not.
GagaPilot is online now  
Old May 25, 23, 11:34 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Jul 2022
Posts: 598
If you login to your dad's SkyMiles account, does it show Silver there?
DLHubber is offline  
Old May 25, 23, 12:02 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: CVG
Programs: DL 3MM, US 972k (AA 0.0k), Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hertz G, Nurburgring in 8:29
Posts: 2,177
Something something something gift horse in the mouth.
photojojo is offline  
Old May 25, 23, 12:08 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Jul 2022
Posts: 598
Originally Posted by photojojo
Something something something gift horse in the mouth.
Yeah, definitely. I dont understand the advice saying to reach out and ask why it says Silver. Just accept it!
DLHubber is offline  
Old May 25, 23, 12:41 pm
  #12  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: NYC
Programs: DL DM
Posts: 68
Originally Posted by DLHubber
Yeah, definitely. I dont understand the advice saying to reach out and ask why it says Silver. Just accept it!
It's been solved - somehow my dad was targeted for a 6-month Silver promo in February and somehow he figured out how to sign up lol
ZKrunk is offline  
Old May 25, 23, 1:33 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Paradise
Posts: 1,540
The interesting thing is on one hand Delta implies the medallion ranks are bloated from rollovers and the next hand, is still handing out promotional medallion status like candy.

Mind boggling.
Yellowjj is offline  
Old May 25, 23, 1:47 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Jul 2022
Posts: 598
Originally Posted by Yellowjj
The interesting thing is on one hand Delta implies the medallion ranks are bloated from rollovers and the next hand, is still handing out promotional medallion status like candy.
It is a bit strange, especially with flights being as full as they are. There's no reason to be enticing people to fly more with promotional status. I'd imagine it could be an attempt to drive more Platinum and Reserve card signups, hoping that once someone gets a taste of the Medallion lifestyle they'll sign up for a card to help maintain and grow their status.

But as a PM their handing out FO status doesn't impact me in the slightest.
DLHubber is offline  
Old May 25, 23, 3:16 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: AUS
Programs: DL/HH/IHG/BW/Caesar's Diamond (Select), UA 1K, Marriott/MGM Gold, Hertz/Avis PC
Posts: 70
a lot of people are getting silver through 2024 for no apparent reason. Most of them are 20-30 demographic in cities from what I've seen. I'm not a huge fan as more silver flyers mean more people in my precious SkyPriority lane. Ironically I had a coworker targeted who felt that being given FO was through their hard blood sweat and tears of paying for their 2-3 flights a year unlike me being given Diamond. I earn via MQD/MQM. I had to smile at that one.

Hopefully most of these new "silvers" are as infrequent travelers as my coworker.
Airborne Brat is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread