Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL "accidentally" gave Silver/F0 status to my dad?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2023, 7:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM

Hi all - I am a DL DM and the designated travel agent for my family. Yesterday, I booked my no-status parents on ATL-SCL while logged into my account. Obviously the system defaulted with my information (e.g. name, DOB, KTN, etc.), but I clicked the box "I'm not traveling" and continued to enter my parents' info. Upon payment, I noticed my father (who was pax #1 while I was filling out their info) has "Silver" status for this reservation.

I double checked and he spent $0 with DL for the last 3 years, so was this just a strange "gift" because I booked it "through" my DM account?
Old May 25, 2023, 7:14 am

Programs: DL, UA, AA
Originally Posted by ZKrunk
Hi all - I am a DL DM and the designated travel agent for my family. Yesterday, I booked my no-status parents on ATL-SCL while logged into my account. Obviously the system defaulted with my information (e.g. name, DOB, KTN, etc.), but I clicked the box "I'm not traveling" and continued to enter my parents' info. Upon payment, I noticed my father (who was pax #1 while I was filling out their info) has "Silver" status for this reservation.

I double checked and he spent $0 with DL for the last 3 years, so was this just a strange "gift" because I booked it "through" my DM account?
It may have been rollovers, no? This might be the last year of that.
Old May 25, 2023, 7:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Goodoldflyer
It may have been rollovers, no? This might be the last year of that.
Nope, he has spent $0 with DL over the last 3 years. And besides that, he's an infrequent flyer (1-2x a year, usually on WN).
Old May 25, 2023, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Nope, he has spent $0 with DL over the last 3 years. And besides that, he's an infrequent flyer (1-2x a year, usually on WN).
Is your Dad a 1MMer which comes with "complimentary annual Silver Medallion status" and does not require any additional travel to maintain?
Old May 25, 2023, 8:07 am

Programs: DL GM, MR Gold, Hilton Gold, National Exec
Delta recently awarded Silver status to quite a few people as a promotion. It was awarded in April with expiration in October. Need to meet half of Silver requirements to keep. He should've received an email about it.
Air Houston likes this.
Old May 25, 2023, 8:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
Is your Dad a 1MMer which comes with "complimentary annual Silver Medallion status" and does not require any additional travel to maintain?
No, he is an old man that doesn't travel hardly ever. He has no status of any shape or form, including MM, with any airline. He usually flies 1-2x a year TPA-ALB on WN, and that's it.
Old May 25, 2023, 11:02 am

Programs: DL DM/MM
No, he is an old man that doesn't travel hardly ever. He has no status of any shape or form, including MM, with any airline. He usually flies 1-2x a year TPA-ALB on WN, and that's it.
Maybe call up DL and ask to see what happened? I'm sure that IT can look up that information for you. (Like you, I'm a DM also and I regularly book tickets for my family as well. It'd be nice to know if there's a reason for what happened.)
Old May 25, 2023, 11:20 am

A similar thing is currently happening to my parents. Back during the Covid Status Accelerators, both my parents made Silver. They flew twice in 2021 in Paid F, and with all the multipliers they squeaked out Silver. In 2022 they did not fly at all. Now in 2023 the Silver status expired back on 1/31, however they have a trip this September that still says Silver when you pull up their PNR. I chalked it up to DL IT. Not a big concern for benefits here as they are in F, but I can see where it would be confusing if not.
Old May 25, 2023, 11:34 am

If you login to your dad's SkyMiles account, does it show Silver there?
Old May 25, 2023, 12:02 pm

Programs: DL 3MM, US 972k (AA 0.0k), Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hertz G, Nurburgring in 8:29
Something something something gift horse in the mouth.
Old May 25, 2023, 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by photojojo
Something something something gift horse in the mouth.
Yeah, definitely. I don’t understand the advice saying to reach out and ask why it says Silver. Just accept it!
Old May 25, 2023, 12:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DLHubber
Yeah, definitely. I don’t understand the advice saying to reach out and ask why it says Silver. Just accept it!
It's been solved - somehow my dad was targeted for a 6-month Silver promo in February and somehow he figured out how to sign up lol
Old May 25, 2023, 1:33 pm

The interesting thing is on one hand Delta implies the medallion ranks are bloated from rollovers and the next hand, is still handing out promotional medallion status like candy.

Mind boggling.
Old May 25, 2023, 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by Yellowjj
The interesting thing is on one hand Delta implies the medallion ranks are bloated from rollovers and the next hand, is still handing out promotional medallion status like candy.
It is a bit strange, especially with flights being as full as they are. There's no reason to be enticing people to fly more with promotional status. I'd imagine it could be an attempt to drive more Platinum and Reserve card signups, hoping that once someone gets a taste of the Medallion lifestyle they'll sign up for a card to help maintain and grow their status.

But as a PM their handing out FO status doesn't impact me in the slightest.
Old May 25, 2023, 3:16 pm

Programs: DL/HH/IHG/BW/Caesar's Diamond (Select), UA 1K, AA EXP, Marriott/MGM Gold, Hertz/Avis PC
a lot of people are getting silver through 2024 for no apparent reason. Most of them are 20-30 demographic in cities from what I've seen. I'm not a huge fan as more silver flyers mean more people in my precious SkyPriority lane. Ironically I had a coworker targeted who felt that being given FO was through their hard blood sweat and tears of paying for their 2-3 flights a year unlike me being given Diamond. I earn via MQD/MQM. I had to smile at that one.

Hopefully most of these new "silvers" are as infrequent travelers as my coworker.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.