Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SDC - give up the upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2023, 5:57 am
Original Poster

SDC - give up the upgrade?

I am in MSP right now and I am leaving on the 9:55 flight this evening. But there is a 7:10 PM flight. I have F via OU upgrade on the 9:55.

Do you take the 7:10 and sit in back in normal economy? or do you get home three hours earlier?

Personally the upgrade is not worth the three hours. But I am curious what others do when confronted with this option.
realworld likes this.
Old May 25, 2023, 6:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Too many additional variables. How long is the flight? Which seats are still open on 7:10PM flight? What do your upgrade chances look like on it? I'd consider it for a flight < 2 hours, but probably won't risk getting stuck next to a POS in coach/C+ on flights longer than that.
flyerCO, MichaelKade and Spiff like this.

Last edited by xliioper; May 25, 2023 at 6:11 am
Old May 25, 2023, 6:21 am

1000% I always take the earlier flight…even in a middle seat in the back.
Old May 25, 2023, 7:15 am

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Titanium
I love everything about airports and airplanes, so personally extra time in one is a perk if I don't have a reason to get home. MSP G club AND F would win out every time for me.
pt360, hhdl, Spiff and 4 others like this.
Old May 25, 2023, 8:52 am

Programs: Delta Death March, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott/Hilton Gold Life
always go earlier. I've done this dozens of times. Including middle seat.
Eating dinner at my home table 1-3 hours before I was to depart is worth gold to me.
(also you never know if flights will be delayed)
Old May 25, 2023, 9:44 am

It depends. I just did this last month, because the flight I was supposed to be on was clearly going to be delayed (and was, by over 2 hours) which would have resulted in me missing a dinner reservation. So I flew in steerage on an earlier flight because getting there was more important than sitting up front. If there was no pressing matter in front of me, I probably wouldn't do it. But every situation is different.

It also allowed me to burn a couple drink vouchers.
Old May 25, 2023, 9:50 am

Programs: DL, UA, AA
There is no seat that's worth more than 3 hours of my time.
Old May 25, 2023, 10:35 am

Programs: DL - DM, Charter KM; Marriott Ambassador
As was said earlier, <2 hours yes. >2 hours no but only because your original flight is so departing so late. If it was 2pm vs 5pm for instance, I wouldn’t.
Old May 25, 2023, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
not knowing OP's actual destination, I'll agree with most of the others regarding looking at the full picture associated with the early flight ... it's one thing to be in 32E on MSP-OMA if you get home at 9 rather than midnight; it's entirely another if you're going MSP-SFO
Old May 25, 2023, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by jrl767
not knowing OP's actual destination, I'll agree with most of the others regarding looking at the full picture associated with the early flight ... it's one thing to be in 32E on MSP-OMA if you get home at 9 rather than midnight; it's entirely another if you're going MSP-SFO
This.

For any decent length flight, I respectfully think others are insane to suggest suffering in Y just to get home a couple hours earlier. If it's MSP-OMA or MSP-ORD, sure whatever.
Minnyappleus and Mhyduchak like this.
Old May 25, 2023, 2:04 pm

Looking at the info the OP's post and the departure schedule from MSP, it looks like the destination is Denver. 2 hour flight.

At that flight length, I'm in the "take the earlier flight" camp.
Old May 25, 2023, 3:01 pm

Programs: DL DM
It is a good think that social media is around to help with these decisions!
emma dog and hhdl like this.
Old May 25, 2023, 3:21 pm
Original Poster

Fwiw I actually got out of school at 3. I dumped DL and took a UA flight at 4:11. I am in economy minus on an aisle.

of course there is a ground stop at DEN now…….

but I always take the earlier flight too. I have had enough of airports and the BS that goes on around them.
Old May 25, 2023, 7:14 pm

Programs: Delta PM
No guarantee that the later flight leaves, so if the crew and pilot and plane are all there on the earlier flight, take it. I opted to keep my upgrade, flight cancelled and I got stuck in a hotel for the night, an early flight the next morning on a middle economy seat.
Goodoldflyer and lindros2 like this.
Old May 25, 2023, 10:16 pm

Programs: DL DM
I would always take an earlier flight even in a middle seat in the back of the bus. Have done so many times. No seat is worth 3 hrs of my time, except maybe an intercontinental D1 seat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.