Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Dumb question: benefitting from price increases

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2023, 8:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Death March, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott/Hilton Gold Life

So please don't flame me but... as someone who has gotten bit on price increases, I'm in an interesting spot.

Purchased one-way non-refundable F seat for $300. Don't really need to fly on the specific date, and F prices are now $800-$1000.

Is there any way to value from this? Or basically "you're lucky but it's the flight you got"

If it's full, and they ask for volunteers, it doesn't make a difference if I'm in F or X, based on the letter of the law, and by that point, I'm at the airport.
Old May 23, 2023, 8:34 am

Programs: DL, UA, AA
Sounds labor intensive to find out.
Old May 23, 2023, 9:41 am

Prices increase on virtually every flight as you get closer to flight time. Unless the flight is oversold and you go to the airport (or they call you) there is no real way to profit from it other than for a domestic flight selling it and have the passenger buy a dummy flight in their name to get past security then use your boarding pass to board.
DiamondMile and VacationMode like this.
Old May 23, 2023, 10:10 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
Prices increase on virtually every flight as you get closer to flight time. Unless the flight is oversold and you go to the airport (or they call you) there is no real way to profit from it other than for a domestic flight selling it and have the passenger buy a dummy flight in their name to get past security then use your boarding pass to board.
Also exactly why the airlines will not allow NAME CHANGES to airline tickets. It would be a great to make some easy money in situations like this.
Adam1222 likes this.
Old May 23, 2023, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I mean, every time I buy a long-haul business class ticket for $2500-3000 r/t, I find out that they're asking $8-10k much closer to departure. So no, it's not really an interesting spot.
hhdl, Adam1222, aacar and 1 others like this.
Old May 23, 2023, 3:18 pm

It would be interesting to see how the industry were to evolve if tickets were just a seat without a name attached to it.

Similar to concert tickets that can be exchanged in the secondary market.
strickerj likes this.
Old May 23, 2023, 3:20 pm

Programs: DL, UA, AA
Originally Posted by cre95
It would be interesting to see how the industry were to evolve if tickets were just a seat without a name attached to it.

I already see companion tickets for sale on Ebay. Yes, that would be the wild west.
Old May 23, 2023, 4:05 pm

I doubt that would ever happen. Not a legal expert, but with all the liability involved (plane crash and all) there is a contract between the specific passenger and the airline on the ticket.
Old May 23, 2023, 5:53 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, Hilton Honors, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Originally Posted by Mr. Tickets
I doubt that would ever happen. Not a legal expert, but with all the liability involved (plane crash and all) there is a contract between the specific passenger and the airline on the ticket.
Some corporate fares allow name changes. AFKL's corporate loyalty program specifically offers it as a benefit on tickets issued by AFKL for AFKL metal:

https://www.bluebiz.com/en/service-c...e-on-a-ticket/

https://www.bluebiz.com/en/service-c...e-name-change/
Old May 23, 2023, 5:56 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
You can cancel and rebook to earn more MQM 😐
Old May 23, 2023, 9:01 pm

Programs: AA GLD, AC

That's pretty much how things were pre-9/11. When I was in college in the early 90s, students would pin ads up on the bulletin board offering to sell plane tickets they booked to go home for the holidays but ended up not needing. The buyer just had to be the same sex as the person's name on the ticket 😁
Old May 24, 2023, 5:50 am

Originally Posted by M60_to_LGA
That's pretty much how things were pre-9/11. When I was in college in the early 90s, students would pin ads up on the bulletin board offering to sell plane tickets they booked to go home for the holidays but ended up not needing. The buyer just had to be the same sex as the person's name on the ticket 😁
Nothing has changed for a domestic flight with no checked luggage if your buyer just buys a dummy ticket to nowhere in his/her real name to get through security.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.