Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL not accepting some iPhone IDs. (State of GA)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2023, 1:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton, Delta, Hyatt, MGM

According to Richard Kerr, it seems like Delta is no longer allowing passengers to use the Digital ID + PreCheck line at ATL.

If I had a guess why this is, I’d assume it’s to get people to join Clear. All in all, this is not a great change.

https://twitter.com/kerrpoints/status/1660813271426023426?s=46&t=4ge9KfJEpmQDywbGRSiCWA
Old May 23, 2023, 1:35 am

Programs: Delta, Hilton, Hertz
Well atleast the digital iPhone drivers license thing for Georgia residents is active now.
lindros2 likes this.
Old May 23, 2023, 5:12 am

Programs: I've gone underground!
This is wrong as presented in this thread.

Delta is sticking with the digital ID/facial recognition program that exists as a separate line.

Delta is NOT going to allow drivers licenses on their iPhone to be a valid form of ID. Some of it stems from the fact that Georgia botched it by not having a barcode on their digital license, the presence of multiple vendors, and no true unified standard.

Last edited by emma dog; May 23, 2023 at 5:22 am
Old May 23, 2023, 5:15 am

What my digital GA license looks like. The blacked out part is my first name last initial. It takes 2 steps to open and then lacks the sense that it’s “real” or “secure”.a TSA agent could not verify its real while also seeing the passenger’s information. Meaning, the picture below has a hologram-like appearance when seen live, but there is no information on that page that could be used to ID someone. The page with identifiers could easily be a forged JPG.

Last edited by emma dog; May 23, 2023 at 5:24 am
Old May 23, 2023, 6:23 am

Programs: DL DM, 2MM
The Georgia peach "card" in Apple wallet is just a placeholder. When you tap your Apple phone or watch at TSA, your information is transmitted to the officer: facial recognition (the reason you did the 3 D face scan) and drivers license information; the latter including photo has been verified by the Georgia DMV as authentic. I'm referring to the use of this ID for TSA purposes, not Delta. I didn't know that Delta was even considering use of this Apple ID as valid ID.
VacationMode likes this.
Old May 23, 2023, 7:23 am

Programs: Delta Death March, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott/Hilton Gold Life
Originally Posted by emma dog
This is wrong as presented in this thread.

Delta is sticking with the digital ID/facial recognition program that exists as a separate line.

Delta is NOT going to allow drivers licenses on their iPhone to be a valid form of ID. Some of it stems from the fact that Georgia botched it by not having a barcode on their digital license, the presence of multiple vendors, and no true unified standard.
Oh the State of Georgia botched something?
Noooooooo....

(feel free to bribe your Georgia IT professional on the way out)
blue2002 and hhdl like this.
Old May 23, 2023, 7:24 am

Programs: Delta Death March, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott/Hilton Gold Life
What my digital GA license looks like. The blacked out part is my first name last initial. It takes 2 steps to open and then lacks the sense that it’s “real” or “secure”.a TSA agent could not verify its real while also seeing the passenger’s information. Meaning, the picture below has a hologram-like appearance when seen live, but there is no information on that page that could be used to ID someone. The page with identifiers could easily be a forged JPG.
Colorado is a LOT more secure - and real-looking.
Old May 23, 2023, 2:16 pm

I just passed through the TSA and asked about the digital divers license. The agent said they can’t accept it because it doesn’t slide into the drivers license machine, and they can’t handle people’s personal phones to verify the info. There’s no transmit function as stated above.
Old May 23, 2023, 5:17 pm

I just passed through the TSA and asked about the digital divers license. The agent said they can’t accept it because it doesn’t slide into the drivers license machine, and they can’t handle people’s personal phones to verify the info. There’s no transmit function as stated above.
I heard this as well.
Airports must upgrade their equipment, which I think is sponsored or paid by airlines.
ATL has already done a ton, especially the south/precheck/clear/digital area.
emma dog likes this.
Old May 24, 2023, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by lindros2
I heard this as well.
Airports must upgrade their equipment, which I think is sponsored or paid by airlines.
ATL has already done a ton, especially the south/precheck/clear/digital area.

In ATL the Digital ID area (for Precheck) will read mobile drivers licenses. At airports that TSA accepts at, not all checkpoints have the ability to read mobile IDs.
Old May 24, 2023, 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO
In ATL the Digital ID area (for Precheck) will read mobile drivers licenses. At airports that TSA accepts at, not all checkpoints have the ability to read mobile IDs.
So if it can read mobile drivers licenses, wouldn't it read Georgia ones?

The contactless/NFC part is important and encrypted (and require passcode or biometrics to work); bar codes are for vanity and not critical to their use.
Old May 24, 2023, 6:48 pm

Currently not true. I flew out again this AM and asked the ATL TSA (yesterday was TPA). They don’t have the ability to use a digital drivers license from an iPhone.

I don’t see how I could transmit my Georgia license from my wallet.

I haven’t seen these machines in any of the airports I’ve been through recently (https://learn.wallet.apple/id). Elsewhere on TSA it says they’re in trial status.
lindros2 likes this.

Last edited by emma dog; May 24, 2023 at 6:55 pm
Old May 24, 2023, 7:21 pm

Programs: Hub Captive Club
Currently not true. I flew out again this AM and asked the ATL TSA (yesterday was TPA). They don’t have the ability to use a digital drivers license from an iPhone.

I don’t see how I could transmit my Georgia license from my wallet.
I haven't tried it yet at the airport but to 'transmit' on an iphone is double click the side button once you're on the id in your wallet...that prompts the 'hold near reader' NFC connection
Old May 24, 2023, 7:55 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Gold, Marriott Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist
The whole point of Digital ID is that you don't need a driver's license (or any ID).... it verifies you through biometrics.
Old May 24, 2023, 8:00 pm

Originally Posted by spin2nd
I haven't tried it yet at the airport but to 'transmit' on an iphone is double click the side button once you're on the id in your wallet...that prompts the 'hold near reader' NFC connection
Huh... just like credit cards. Good to know. Unfortunately, there haven't been any NFC readers at the TSA checkpoints I've been to.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.