Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Change of itinerary

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2023, 9:10 am
Original Poster

Change of itinerary

Hi, I wonder what are my options in this situation: Basically I was in transit from South America to Athens with one stopover in Atlanta.

Delta modified the itinerary with an extra leg ATL-JFK then Athens. This means we have to do immigration procedures, claim baggage, etc as if we were going to stay in USA. We are not US citizens, although we have tourist visas, doing that whole process is a hassle and we do not have the entry guaranteed. Upon calling Delta the customer service person said the ATL-ATH flight was cancelled but I see that is not the case, the DL222 flight is still selling for that date but economy class is sold out. I guess it was oversold and they changed our route.

Delta offered to refund the ticket, I don't know it does not seem satisfactory. Any advice or ideas? Thank you
Old May 11, 2023, 9:16 am

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
Skip the US and fly direct on a skyteam carrier from South America to Europe (you didnt say where in South America lol thats a pretty big place). So SA-EU-Athens. Avoids this issue. It helps when you call to have new flights you want.
Old May 11, 2023, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DLATL777
Skip the US and fly direct on a skyteam carrier from South America to Europe (you didnt say where in South America lol thats a pretty big place). So SA-EU-Athens. Avoids this issue. It helps when you call to have new flights you want.
Yep, even with the single stop in ATL you will still have to deal with claiming baggage and going through US immigrations and then back through TSA.
Old May 11, 2023, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by argen334
Hi, I wonder what are my options in this situation: Basically I was in transit from South America to Athens with one stopover in Atlanta.

Delta modified the itinerary with an extra leg ATL-JFK then Athens. This means we have to do immigration procedures, claim baggage, etc as if we were going to stay in USA. We are not US citizens, although we have tourist visas, doing that whole process is a hassle and we do not have the entry guaranteed. Upon calling Delta the customer service person said the ATL-ATH flight was cancelled but I see that is not the case, the DL222 flight is still selling for that date but economy class is sold out. I guess it was oversold and they changed our route.

Delta offered to refund the ticket, I don't know it does not seem satisfactory. Any advice or ideas? Thank you

I hate to disappoint, but you were going to do that anyway. There is no such thing as international transit in US. You will need to clear immigration at ATL regardless of of fly onward international.
DLHubber, dcadwell, xjoedx and 4 others like this.
Old May 11, 2023, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
If your flight is showing sold out and it is still weeks/months away, then it is likely to be in the process of being canceled. DL zeroes out inventory to stop sales sometimes before the flight is actually canceled in the system and removed.
Updates take place on Saturdays, so I'd suggest checking again on Sunday.
Old May 11, 2023, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by rylan
If your flight is showing sold out and it is still weeks/months away, then it is likely to be in the process of being canceled. DL zeroes out inventory to stop sales sometimes before the flight is actually canceled in the system and removed.
Updates take place on Saturdays, so I'd suggest checking again on Sunday.
For ATL/ATH it could also be a sign for change of aircraft type.
Old May 11, 2023, 4:14 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, Hilton Honors, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Originally Posted by DLATL777
I would guess Argentina, based on the username.
cre95 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.