Wiki Posts
Search

Procedure for no seat

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2023, 3:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
Procedure for no seat

Booked a flight no seat available says check at the gate. Say no seats available which would be denied boarding they ask for volunteers first. I would love to take the compensation but must make the flight for business..
Old Mar 29, 2023, 3:42 am

Programs: I've gone underground!
Delta goes to great lengths to avoid IDB. I wouldn’t worry.
Old Mar 29, 2023, 4:13 am

Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer
Booked a flight no seat available says check at the gate. Say no seats available which would be denied boarding they ask for volunteers first. I would love to take the compensation but must make the flight for business..
I don’t believe DL has had an IDB in many years. They will pay a volunteer whatever it takes to avoid an IDB.
bloc0102, hi55us and flyerCO like this.
Old Mar 29, 2023, 7:11 am
Original Poster

I am at the gate have agent my seat request ticket he says when we board they scan the barcode on my ticket and that will award seat. Never had that happen thought they would give me my seat when I get to the get. Well I guess I am group 1 since I have no real boarding pass.
giporlos likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2023, 7:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
I am at the gate have agent my seat request ticket he says when we board they scan the barcode on my ticket and that will award seat. Never had that happen thought they would give me my seat when I get to the get. Well I guess I am group 1 since I have no real boarding pass.
This is common for Basic Economy passengers who don't get a seat assignment until check-in or at the gate. Also common for passengers in Economy who get upgraded to F. When you scan your boarding pass, if the currently assigned seat doesn't match what's on the boarding pass (or if you have an "Awaiting Seat Assignment" boarding pass), the machine will beep and spit out a small receipt looking piece of paper with your new assigned seat.

You should also be able to check the Gate Information Screen (if there is one) which will display seat assignments for those awaiting a seat and will also tell them what zone they are in for boarding.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2023, 7:21 am

Programs: I've gone underground!
Your boarding group will appear both in the DL app as well as on the gate screen.

You get your seat when they release/process them. It happens in waves.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2023, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There are seats reserved for people with special needs, families traveling together, etc. The system knows they are available if they haven't been assigned yet (and that they have enough seats available to accommodate everyone), but generally won't actually assign them to people until at the gate. Here's an example of such reserved seats (the ones that have x's) on an A321.

Last edited by xliioper; Mar 29, 2023 at 8:27 am
Old Mar 29, 2023, 7:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
If it says "seat request" but not "standby" then you are a confirmed pax. This is a little confusing because confirmed pax will appear on the "Standby List" and look like cleared standbys when you get an assignment.

DL has a fairly large number of seat blocks that get assigned on the day of departure, some of them at the gate. If you check the seatmap and see a blocked seat in your cabin, you can usually have this assigned to you by the gate agent if you ask nicely. Otherwise it will be done for you.
captaink and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Mar 29, 2023, 11:04 am

Programs: DL PM, Hilton/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by findark
If it says "seat request" but not "standby" then you are a confirmed pax. This is a little confusing because confirmed pax will appear on the "Standby List" and look like cleared standbys when you get an assignment.

DL has a fairly large number of seat blocks that get assigned on the day of departure, some of them at the gate. If you check the seatmap and see a blocked seat in your cabin, you can usually have this assigned to you by the gate agent if you ask nicely. Otherwise it will be done for you.
The minor annoyance being that you sometimes are already assigned one of those blocked seats by the time you reach the gate counter and there's no real opportunity to change. Had that happen where I had a seat request card, the GA assigned me an aisle seat way in the back thinking I'd prefer it to a C+ bulkhead middle.
Old Mar 29, 2023, 2:45 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
I don’t believe DL has had an IDB in many years. They will pay a volunteer whatever it takes to avoid an IDB.
If you include Delta Connection it's not quite years, but it is exceedingly rare (even while successfully achieving many more voluntary bumps than AA or UA, no less).
Old Mar 29, 2023, 7:02 pm
Original Poster

I booked the flight yesterday FLL-ATL allowed me to choose a seat next segment with the issue showed open seats but would not let me select a seat says has to be done at the airport. Made it home great service a little scary not having a seat needed to McKenzie the flight for business.
Old Mar 30, 2023, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
I booked the flight yesterday FLL-ATL allowed me to choose a seat next segment with the issue showed open seats but would not let me select a seat says has to be done at the airport. Made it home great service a little scary not having a seat needed to McKenzie the flight for business.
13 years and 4,000 posts and you are "scared" by not having a seat assignment? SMH.
Old Mar 30, 2023, 6:40 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by findark
DL has a fairly large number of seat blocks that get assigned on the day of departure, some of them at the gate.
True, usually there are 1, 2 or 3 seats blocked off at the front on A330s (both varieties), for example. Similar on other aircraft (767s, etc.). But those are often needed for pilots, under contract terms I understand. If that seat (or those seats) is (are) given away to a displaced pax, then DL must find volunteers to give up their F/J seat as the pilots have first precedence on those seats.
Old Mar 30, 2023, 7:11 pm

Same situation for tomorrow. Only one J seat available for sale. Hoping for VDB opportunity. Flight from LGA-BNA. Thoughts on chance of it?
Old Mar 30, 2023, 11:27 pm

Originally Posted by lovefly88
Same situation for tomorrow. Only one J seat available for sale. Hoping for VDB opportunity. Flight from LGA-BNA. Thoughts on chance of it?
About 0.06% chance.
Singleflyer and Adam1222 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.