Wiki Posts
Search

MEX positioning flight question

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2023, 1:30 am
Original Poster

MEX positioning flight question

I’m based in California but to save sky miles,
I booked the Mexico City to LAX to Sydney one way.

Therefore I have to position myself to MEX.
Am I allowed to stay one night at MEX airport hotel and clear immigration to enter the Mexico country, and clear immigration again to exit the next day to fly to LA to Sydney?
Old Mar 29, 2023, 9:31 am

Programs: Delta DM | Hyatt Globalist
Assuming you're a US citizen you're allowed to stay up to 6 months in Mexico without a visa so a single overnight stay would not be a problem. The situation you describe is not unique and done by many who have long layovers at MEX.
Old Mar 29, 2023, 9:46 am

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Yes, you will need to clear immigration in CDMX, but that’s no big deal and doesn’t require advanced paperwork. There’s a NH Collection attached to T2 that’s fine, or you can go for an international brand with the equally mediocre Courtyard in T1 (which requires a pretty frustrating transit hop between terminals each way.). You will need to fill out a departure form when you leave, though, so allow a few minutes at the Delta checkin counter for that.

Nothing about MEX is speedy, so plan lots of time - this is not the airport to schedule a two hour unprotected layover across two separate tickets at. Make sure to use the automated gates upon arrival if you have a US passport - follow the stickers on the floor, even if the other queue is totally full and nobody seems to be using them.

If time permits, maybe extend your stay to enjoy some of the city? Culinary Backstreets’ food tours are a great way to see some of Mexico City in a short period of time, for example. And neither of the airport hotels are a prize, so staying in the city itself might be more interesting and pleasant as long as you leave plenty of time for CDMX’s famous traffic. It’s actually a pretty safe city if you keep your wits about you, but my local friends suggest you don’t use city taxis - stick to Uber, and cancel the ride if the driver doesn’t have at least a few hundred rides under their belt.
sexykitten7 likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2023, 11:36 am

Originally Posted by BenA
Yes, you will need to clear immigration in CDMX, but that’s no big deal and doesn’t require advanced paperwork. There’s a NH Collection attached to T2 that’s fine, or you can go for an international brand with the equally mediocre Courtyard in T1 (which requires a pretty frustrating transit hop between terminals each way.). You will need to fill out a departure form when you leave, though, so allow a few minutes at the Delta checkin counter for that.

Nothing about MEX is speedy, so plan lots of time - this is not the airport to schedule a two hour unprotected layover across two separate tickets at. Make sure to use the automated gates upon arrival if you have a US passport - follow the stickers on the floor, even if the other queue is totally full and nobody seems to be using them.

If time permits, maybe extend your stay to enjoy some of the city? Culinary Backstreets’ food tours are a great way to see some of Mexico City in a short period of time, for example. And neither of the airport hotels are a prize, so staying in the city itself might be more interesting and pleasant as long as you leave plenty of time for CDMX’s famous traffic. It’s actually a pretty safe city if you keep your wits about you, but my local friends suggest you don’t use city taxis - stick to Uber, and cancel the ride if the driver doesn’t have at least a few hundred rides under their belt.
No matter how you do it, you will need to clear immigration in MEX and if you arrive at the same time as a lot of other flights, it could take several hours to get through the queue. There were no automated gates in operation when I went through a couple months ago. It's no big deal to clear immigration, it just takes forever!!
Old Mar 29, 2023, 2:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BenA

oh I plan to stay at the courtyard, why it’s frustrating to hop from T1 to T2? The hotel website Indicates they provide shuttle to T2, no?
Old Mar 29, 2023, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by flybie
oh I plan to stay at the courtyard, why it’s frustrating to hop from T1 to T2? The hotel website Indicates they provide shuttle to T2, no?
Just take the train between T2 and T1. Waiting for shuttle can take a bit. Plus while not long drive, traffic can cause delays.

There's also a Hilton in T1.

If you don't mind and layover isn't terribly long, there's a capsule hotel in T2. I've stayed there a few times.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.