Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DeltaOne 330neo vs KE Prestige 748 or 380?

Old Mar 23, 2023, 11:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: FreeAgent; DL Silver; IHG Diamond/ Ambassador

Do either of the KE Prestige 747-800 or A380 seats offer a far better experience than the Delta one A330-900neo?

Planning this trip to Asia out of SEA and it looks like on many of my dates, Delta One is priced really high. I would have to leave a day earlier or later than desired to remain 'on budget.' Advantage of a DL itinerary is that the long leg is the 'shortest' amongst all the options. The other options that the DL web site is giving is KE Prestige via SFO-ICN on the 747-800, and SFO-LAX on the A380 for the same price. Even with the domestic legs down to CA, the price is comparable.

I used to "collect" flights and have been on all 747 types and engine versions except the 747SP. I've only been on the A380 once, and it was the forward main deck, in economy. The A380 was a really nice flight, forward of the wings. I've also been aboard Delta One, and much prefer the A350 over the 330neo. (Bummer that I never got to experience the 77L - was booked on a flight to SYD right when covid shut down the world. I've also been on all 777 types, except the 77L!)

For those of you who have tried the above options, would a detour down to CA, and a longer transpacific flight be worth flying either or both the 748 and 380? Part of me says yes, as those planes won't be around for many years. Part of me would rather spend less time traveling whether in the air on during a layover. (I used to seek out those 16+ hour ultra longhauls, with equally long lounge layovers. But having experienced them already, I have not gone out of my way to seek them out in the past 7 or so years.) Hmmm...
Old Mar 24, 2023, 12:33 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, Delta 1MM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz President's Circle
The upper deck Prestige window seats are great. The cabin upstairs feels super exclusive. And the window seat has direct aisle access. It feels way more spacious than the A339 D1, and the service is better on KE as well. If I had a choice between the two, I would go KE all day long.
Old Mar 24, 2023, 7:20 am

Originally Posted by jj243
The upper deck Prestige window seats are great. The cabin upstairs feels super exclusive. And the window seat has direct aisle access. It feels way more spacious than the A339 D1, and the service is better on KE as well. If I had a choice between the two, I would go KE all day long.
Agreed. I had the same choice as OP many years ago. Chose to fly through SFO to be on 747 and very, very glad I made that choice (especially over the 767 DL was flying to ICN at the time!)
audidudi likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2023, 9:58 am

Programs: Delta Death March, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott/Hilton Gold Life
KE wins.
Old Mar 24, 2023, 10:37 am

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Is KE still using 2-2-2 for Prestige class?

My personal preference is that loses in comparison to 1-2-1.
Old Mar 24, 2023, 12:07 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
KE 747-800 all the way, definitely. One of the best J cabins and experiences of any airline, period.

Coupled with the KE in-flight service and food (great) compared to Delta's service and food (lacluster...at best), DL doesn't come even close.

The only downside is that KE cabins are usually scorching hot, like a sauna. But just ask the FAs to turn it down to something more comfortable, and they'll usually do so. Also, upper deck of 748 somehow doesn't seem to get as overheated as the other KE aircraft.
audidudi and bhomburg like this.
Old Mar 24, 2023, 10:52 pm

Programs: DL GM 2mm, AA EXP, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by exwannabe
KE A380 Prestige Class is 2-2-2 as is the lower deck on the 747-8. The 747-8 upper deck is 2-2. The principal difference between the KE A380 and 747-8 Prestige Class is all 747-8 seats have direct aisle access.
Old Mar 26, 2023, 12:32 am
Original Poster

Thank you for all your replies!!!

On the outbound, I have a choice of spending 1 hour or 3 hours at the lounge in ICN. Should I go for the 3 hour layover?

Also, is it possible to have a one- or two-day stopover in ICN? Some itineraries are giving me 11 hours layover on the way back. I figured I might as well see Seoul. However, the DL web site does not allow me to plug in a multi-city itinerary with a separate Asia-ICN segment flown by KE.

Originally Posted by jj243
Originally Posted by RealHJ
KE 747-800 all the way, definitely. One of the best J cabins and experiences of any airline, period.

Coupled with the KE in-flight service and food (great) compared to Delta's service and food (lacluster...at best), DL doesn't come even close.

The only downside is that KE cabins are usually scorching hot, like a sauna. But just ask the FAs to turn it down to something more comfortable, and they'll usually do so. Also, upper deck of 748 somehow doesn't seem to get as overheated as the other KE aircraft.
Are all window seats the "same" on the upper deck? How about the lower deck? I like a seat with a view and also some privacy. I think the toilets are far away in the front, and the galley is secluded in the back?

The DeltaOne seats up front on the 339 and 350 are rather "noisy" because of the galley.
Old Mar 26, 2023, 2:44 am

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by hikouki
Are all window seats the "same" on the upper deck? How about the lower deck? I like a seat with a view and also some privacy. I think the toilets are far away in the front, and the galley is secluded in the back?
747-8i upper deck you have the most privacy. Also dedicated FAs just to upper deck, resulting in more personal service vs much larger lower deck. All seats are good, window ones are more forward than aisle and have direct aisle access, divider that goes up so you never even see the aisle person during flight (even with divider down youd have to look back to see them). KE and other airlines, unlike DL, always shut heavy curtains to galley and the FAs are never loudly yapping during flight as they often do on DL, so even if you are next to galley its never any real noise, unlike on DL where the service level is justseveral notches lower.

18A and J are behind exit row, so there is no one directly in front of you and are extra spacious, quiet and private. 16A and J are right at front so you dont see any other pax from your seat for pretty much the whole flight and get the least FA traffic.
Old Mar 26, 2023, 4:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by exwannabe

In fairness, most (but not all) KE 2-2-2 are all aisle access.

I've not flown the KE A380. The KE 748 upper was great, and temp was fine. (I usually stay away from KE due to hot Temps, but had to book thus trip)

The 748 is still new, they're not going anywhere anytime soon. The A380s though aren't likely to be around fir long.
Old Mar 26, 2023, 10:27 am

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by flyerCO
In fairness, most (but not all) KE 2-2-2 are all aisle access.

I've not flown the KE A380. The KE 748 upper was great, and temp was fine. (I usually stay away from KE due to hot Temps, but had to book thus trip)

The 748 is still new, they're not going anywhere anytime soon. The A380s though aren't likely to be around fir long.
Thank you for that information.

I can survive the temps better than having to suffer through a pax crawling over me :-)
Old Mar 26, 2023, 6:43 pm

The KE 748 upper was great, and temp was fine. (I usually stay away from KE due to hot Temps, but had to book thus trip)
For some reason, the 747-8i temperature, at least on the upper deck, is consistently better (and almost comfortable) on KE, as opposed to their other aircraft (or OZ, JL which are both miserably hot also).

Just don't count on the KE aircraft you book being the one you fly. KE does change aircraft. Your 747-8i flight could be downgraded to a 777 with 2-3-2 old angled lie flat (like NW WBC) Prestige Plus or 2-3-2 also no direct aisle access Prestige Sleeper. It's the Prestige Suites that have direct aisle access, and some KE aircraft have it, but a lot of aircraft (esp. the 777s) still have Prestige Plus (angled lie flat 2-3-2, only slightly better than OZ) or Prestige Sleeper (true lie flat, but where every aisle seat will have someone crawling over you, as again it's 2-3-2).

As a SkyTeam Elite+, you may get upgraded to the first class seats on KE...but that is highly YMMV, and generally only if aircraft has first seating, but doesn't have first actually sold on that route, so it's the same service, just better seats for those seated at the very front. (I believe KE first upgrades their own elites, and then if any seats are left over ST E+.)
Old Mar 26, 2023, 7:08 pm

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
The 748 is still new, they're not going anywhere anytime soon..
Unfortunately not really. The KE CEO has confirmed the 748 will stay on for only five more years than the A380 and be gone in a decade: https://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/tec...19_314213.html
I guess a lot also depends on fuel prices. I`m glad I booked a few flights on them.
Old Aug 21, 2023, 8:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RealHJ
For some reason, the 747-8i temperature, at least on the upper deck, is consistently better (and almost comfortable) on KE, as opposed to their other aircraft (or OZ, JL which are both miserably hot also).

Just don't count on the KE aircraft you book being the one you fly. KE does change aircraft. Your 747-8i flight could be downgraded to a 777 with 2-3-2 old angled lie flat (like NW WBC) Prestige Plus or 2-3-2 also no direct aisle access Prestige Sleeper. It's the Prestige Suites that have direct aisle access, and some KE aircraft have it, but a lot of aircraft (esp. the 777s) still have Prestige Plus (angled lie flat 2-3-2, only slightly better than OZ) or Prestige Sleeper (true lie flat, but where every aisle seat will have someone crawling over you, as again it's 2-3-2).

As a SkyTeam Elite+, you may get upgraded to the first class seats on KE...but that is highly YMMV, and generally only if aircraft has first seating, but doesn't have first actually sold on that route, so it's the same service, just better seats for those seated at the very front. (I believe KE first upgrades their own elites, and then if any seats are left over ST E+.)
You are right! Subbed just happened!

Bummer. KE split the lone 748 flight out of SFO into twice daily 77Ws for Dec/Jan.

On the DL web site, aircraft still shows 748, but with a 77W map. On the KE web site, everything is updated.

I'm booked to fly SFO-ICN in Dec/ Jan, and I'm detouring all the way from SEA. I was really looking forward to flying the 748! Grrr!

I guess the only good thing is that I still saved about $4800 if I had chosen to fly DeltaOne from SEA. LOL

Hoping that flying KE is worth the detour, compared to flying nonstop on DeltaOne.
Old Aug 21, 2023, 9:14 pm

What's the 777 that you got? If it's the 2-2-2 config, that is still direct aisle access Prestige Suites, same seating (though less roomy) than on 747-8i. If it's the 2-3-2 config with the older Prestige Sleeper (https://www.koreanair.com/us/en/in-f...r-291/prestige), that's a product that's not really competitive anymore.. but the middle seats usually go empty, so unless it's a packed flight it's still OK, just obviously no real privacy.

Last edited by RealHJ; Aug 21, 2023 at 9:22 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.