IRROPS Involuntary Downgrade Question

Old Mar 16, 2023, 11:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
IRROPS Involuntary Downgrade Question (Auto-Rebooking Caused Trouble)

I'll preface by saying that everything worked out in the end, but I'd like some future-use advice...

This week I got caught up in the weather "fun" in the Northeast (whee!). For a variety of reasons I was booked in paid Comfort+ instead of paid F (though I managed to go 3/3 on upgrades when the dust settled). When one of my flights got cancelled, I was auto-rebooked onto a flight via Atlanta...but in Main Cabin. I called in, politely demurred, and got rebooked with an LGA/JFK multi-city...only for the ticket to park itself in Main Cabin again. When I called in to get this fixed, the agent said they'd checked me out and re-seated me but nothing ever took.

In the end, my flight was cancelled and I got a flight the next day (where things got sorted out, and per above I was bumped into F), but the whole experience was aggravating. Aside from just booking into F in the future (it seems that I have a booking-related geas on me - every single time I have failed to book F outright, the weather has gone to pot on the trip in question and fouled my tickets in the most spectacular way), is there any way to avoid this issue (or more cleanly resolve it)?

Last edited by GrayAnderson; Mar 17, 2023 at 5:05 am
Old Mar 17, 2023, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
It is very common during IRROPS for agents to assume you wish to take a voluntary downgrade to the lowest cabin if required to continue your travel sooner.

It's not clear to me whether this is what happened - was the rebook you mention on a flight with W space, and you still couldn't get into the cabin? I don't have a lot of experience with paid C+ so it's possible the system has issues with it, or the agent failed to recognize that your fare was in fact paid C+.

Last edited by findark; Mar 17, 2023 at 10:56 am
Old Mar 17, 2023, 10:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Originally Posted by findark
It is very common during IRROPS for agents to assume you wish to take a voluntary downgrade to the lowest cabin if it required to continue your travel sooner.

It's not clear to me whether this is what happened - was the rebook you mention on a flight with W space, and you still couldn't get into the cabin? I don't have a lot of experience with paid C+ so it's possible the system has issues with it, or the agent failed to recognize that your fare was in fact paid C+.
The initial flight was full in C+ - part of the issue was that I would have gone from BDL-LGA-ORF to BDL-ATL-ORF. Great if I'm in F, not so much in Y ;-)

What was a mess is that when I did an itinerary swap to BDL-LGA/JFK-ORF, the system recorded me as having had an MC ticket, not C+, and even though I requested a C+ "upgrade" on the rebooked flight(s), it plopped me back in MC and didn't acknowledge this. On the first leg, I flipped back into F (where I'd been auto-upgraded to begin with), but on the original second leg F was full enough to block me out...and the C+ upgrade request wasn't processing, either.

[The other issue was that since the BDL-LGA flight was fine, I only found out about the change via a text message. I think we can all imagine how well it would have gone if the LGA flight had fallen behind the ATL flight - it was ultimately delayed due to deicing at LGA - and only found this out at the gate.]
Old Mar 17, 2023, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
If working with an agent, you should be able to force the ticket back into W since it is supported by a coupon for that class.

I'm not surprised to see the computer struggling.
Spiff likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2023, 2:17 pm

Programs: none
Originally Posted by GrayAnderson
I'll is there any way to avoid this issue (or more cleanly resolve it)?
Nope. It's IRROPS

You get what's available (unless you're willing to wait a long time)
Old Mar 17, 2023, 10:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Allan38103
Nope. It's IRROPS

Which is sometimes the case. Other times, an arcane routing spit out by the IRROPS tool works just as well, and still other times an airport swap fixes everything (e.g. going to Logan might have worked well enough, or swapping my arrival to RIC...or even to DCA and then dealing with a train in the morning). It really depends on one's patience and/or flexibility. Heck, "Trip in Vain" may become preferable under the "right" circumstances. This is especially true with an F-to-Y drop-down, but holds for C+/Y as well.

[Also, my TI will cover train tickets, so "I'll take my money and grab the train" is actually a viable option basically anywhere Amtrak runs daily east of the Mississippi if I've got the time. The assumption that one has to be to X immediately isn't always true.]
Old Mar 17, 2023, 10:37 pm

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Originally Posted by Allan38103
Nope. It's IRROPS

This is ironic because DL's IRROPS for several years was remarkably generous when it came to rebooking medallions into F.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.