Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL AMEX: Airline proof of missed connection?!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2023, 12:21 pm
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM 4MM, Lifetime Marriott Plat Elite, HH Diamond

So I was traveling in January connecting in Atlanta and the inbound flight arrived late due to weather and gate changes causing me to miss my connection (the last one of the night). DL rebooked for the next day and I spent the night at the Gateway Marriott on my own dime. I decided to try to use the benefit of the DL Amex Reserve card for trip interruption reimbursement. I sent everything requested to AIG and waited. Four weeks later I call to check up on status. They need "written proof" from the airline that the flight was delayed. Anyone else experience this? If so, how do you get this "written proof"? Nevermind that I had to call to find this out/
Old Mar 1, 2023, 1:15 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
There's a form: https://www.delta.com/contactus/page...tion/index.jsp
Old Mar 1, 2023, 1:22 pm

Programs: DL Gold, HHDiamond, IHG Plat Regular Joe Everywhere Else
I had something similar happen to me while filing a delayed/cancelled trip with travel insurance. I had screen shots of the cancelled flight notification and on the big board at the airport. That helped tremendously in my claim getting approved. I am not sure if you have that info, but if you do it might work.
GagaPilot likes this.

Last edited by Dracarys; Mar 1, 2023 at 1:23 pm Reason: punctuation
Old Mar 1, 2023, 1:50 pm
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM 4MM, Lifetime Marriott Plat Elite, HH Diamond
I did screen snaps of Flight Aware as a just in case. Seems they are going to great lengths to avoid paying or providing the benefit. I filled out the request for the form from DL.
Old Mar 1, 2023, 2:09 pm

It seems to be something that most insurances will ask for as part of trip delay coverage. I did a claim back in January and the insurance provider wanted that proof too, and I was able to send them the info I got from the delta form and that was good enough. Supposedly, you might be able to ask for a form at the airport when you're stuck in this situation too, if you're dealing with a person at the time.
Old Mar 1, 2023, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by DL Platinum
I did screen snaps of Flight Aware as a just in case. Seems they are going to great lengths to avoid paying or providing the benefit. I filled out the request for the form from DL.
I think they want to know why missed, which is part of letter. If you missed due to airlines control, airline should be reimbursing you. People try and double dip.
Old Mar 2, 2023, 6:20 am

Programs: UA MM, AA almost MM
Originally Posted by Mountain Explorer
Do UA and AA have something similar? I can't find it on UA website. The last time I had a trip interruption insurance claim, AA agent gave me a print out after she rebooked me for the next morning departure. That print out included the delayed fight and rebooked flight info. It was my first and only claim. Got lucky that I had all the information the insurance company wanted.
Old Mar 2, 2023, 8:54 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Marriot Gold
I submitted screenshots and a letter that Delta sent me saying they were sorry for my missed connection and that they were gifting me some miles for trouble and that wasn't enough "proof". Once I got the letter from them and submitted it to the insurance company, they approved it. I learned that they don't cover just any reason for delays (Even if it is the airline's fault) so this letter is what they need to approve the claim. I got it within a couple of days of submitting the form.
Old Mar 2, 2023, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

FWIW, I had a forced overnight at my JFK origin after the crew timed out on the taxiway after a weather-related delay. It was a hurricane IIRC and there was major flooding, people drowned in illegal basement apartments, and there was an emergency "no travel" order from the mayor. Flight was re-scheduled for the next day, we stayed over at JFK, and I submitted screenshot of the delay (no reason specified) and a NY Post article about the weather, and they put 2 + 2 together and I was reimbursed by the Amex insurance. Maybe I got lucky...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.