Still possible to hold a reservation?

Old Feb 27, 23, 1:54 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: PNW
Programs: DL Silver; IHG Diamond/ Ambassador
Posts: 583
Still possible to hold a reservation?

Is it still possible to hold a reservation for 24 hours without booking?

I need a confirmed reservation for visa paperwork.

Most convenient would be the above. I believe the only other option might be to just book a confirmed refundable ticket.
hikouki is offline  
Old Feb 27, 23, 1:58 pm
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: San Antonio
Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Posts: 26,051
Originally Posted by hikouki
Is it still possible to hold a reservation for 24 hours without booking?

I need a confirmed reservation for visa paperwork.

Most convenient would be the above. I believe the only other option might be to just book a confirmed refundable ticket.
All tickets are refundable till midnight, day after purchase.
indufan and DenverBrian like this.
flyerCO is offline  
Old Feb 27, 23, 9:03 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: ANC
Programs: DL PM
Posts: 1,583
I dont know for sure if you can hold without purchasing, but whenever agents send me copies of an updated itinerary after a phone conversation it has a generic warning if you are holding this reservation, be sure and purchase before the deadline. That said, I dont know if holding is still an option. Safest bet would be either 24 hr cancellation or book a refundable ticket.
GagaPilot is online now  
Old Feb 27, 23, 9:08 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Programs: DL Diamond, Aeroplan Elite 75K
Posts: 2,664
No holding has not been an option for years. If you cancel within 24 hours, often the credit card charge is canceled before it even posts.
GagaPilot likes this.
DLASflyer is offline  
Old Feb 27, 23, 9:28 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: MCO
Programs: AA,AC,DL,F9,UA,WN
Posts: 516
AA offers the HOLD option on their online reservation screen but that option does not appear on Delta.com.
SUPERTRAVEL is offline  
Old Feb 27, 23, 10:11 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Feb 2023
Posts: 8
Delta gives you 24 hrs to refund to the original payment method. It won't hurt to book now (even for a non-refundable ticket)
rmartin is offline  
Old Feb 27, 23, 11:15 pm
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: PNW
Programs: DL Silver; IHG Diamond/ Ambassador
Posts: 583
Originally Posted by SUPERTRAVEL
AA offers the HOLD option on their online reservation screen but that option does not appear on Delta.com.
Yup, and at some point I thought UA recently allowed it as well. That's why I wondered about whether DL allowed it.

Originally Posted by GagaPilot
I dont know for sure if you can hold without purchasing, but whenever agents send me copies of an updated itinerary after a phone conversation it has a generic warning if you are holding this reservation, be sure and purchase before the deadline. That said, I dont know if holding is still an option. Safest bet would be either 24 hr cancellation or book a refundable ticket.
Perhaps my safest option is to just pay for a refundable ticket and cancel once I am done with everything.
GagaPilot and DenverBrian like this.
hikouki is offline  
Old Feb 28, 23, 12:34 am
  #8  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: San Antonio
Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Posts: 26,051
Originally Posted by hikouki
Yup, and at some point I thought UA recently allowed it as well. That's why I wondered about whether DL allowed it.



Perhaps my safest option is to just pay for a refundable ticket and cancel once I am done with everything.
As noted, can cancel even non-refundable fares for up to 48 hrs depending on time of day purchased. (Midnight day after purchase is deadline)

Is there a reason can't use the HOLD option on AA? I've done this when need to print out a copy of a reservation for visa purposes. (Even if I know will fly DL)
flyerCO is offline  
Old Feb 28, 23, 10:02 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: MCO
Programs: AA,AC,DL,F9,UA,WN
Posts: 516
Although Delta.com doesn't offer the hold option, I wonder if booking with Delta over the phone, would the reservationist put a new reservation on the next day hold for the customer?
SUPERTRAVEL is offline  
Old Feb 28, 23, 10:45 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 4,346
Originally Posted by SUPERTRAVEL
Although Delta.com doesn't offer the hold option, I wonder if booking with Delta over the phone, would the reservationist put a new reservation on the next day hold for the customer?
I once met someone who was paying for his flight in cash. He made a reservation on the phone then drove to the airport to pay for it. The reservation was held for 24 hours.
SUPERTRAVEL likes this.
sydneyracquelle is offline  
Old Feb 28, 23, 11:05 am
  #11  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: NYC
Posts: 26,705
Travel agents can still hold reservations without ticketing (subject to ticketing rules of the fare held). But you'd likely need to talk to a person, and I'm not sure if OTAs like Expedia would do this (they'd probably charge a nonrefundable phone booking fee anyway).
The other option is a mileage award ticket which (as long as you're originating in the US) is fully refundable and you won't have the charge on your credit card for a cash paid refundable ticket.
ijgordon is online now  
Old Feb 28, 23, 6:10 pm
  #12  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: PNW
Programs: DL Silver; IHG Diamond/ Ambassador
Posts: 583
Originally Posted by flyerCO
As noted, can cancel even non-refundable fares for up to 48 hrs depending on time of day purchased. (Midnight day after purchase is deadline)

...
Just to be on the safe side of things, I would like that reservation to be "active" while my application is in process. The consulate I am applying to only takes application by mail, and takes 5 business days to process. Total time would be well-beyond 48 hours.
hikouki is offline  
Old Feb 28, 23, 9:00 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Programs: SkyPesos
Posts: 564
Corporate travel agent/Amex GBT is still able to hold tickets for me, have done it a couple of times over the last 2 months. Usually 24 hours max before it automatically cancels.
hikouki likes this.

Last edited by secretalcoholic; Feb 28, 23 at 9:09 pm
secretalcoholic is offline  
Old Feb 28, 23, 9:16 pm
  #14  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: San Antonio
Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Posts: 26,051
Originally Posted by hikouki
Just to be on the safe side of things, I would like that reservation to be "active" while my application is in process. The consulate I am applying to only takes application by mail, and takes 5 business days to process. Total time would be well-beyond 48 hours.
Well in that case, I'm not sure why you're asking about HOLD option. HOLDs are only for 24 hours.
secretalcoholic likes this.
flyerCO is offline  
Old Feb 28, 23, 10:59 pm
  #15  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: PNW
Programs: DL Silver; IHG Diamond/ Ambassador
Posts: 583
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Well in that case, I'm not sure why you're asking about HOLD option. HOLDs are only for 24 hours.
Because when I originally posted, they were accepting walk ins/ drop offs of documents, just like prior to covid. Just found out that everything is by mail now - they changed their rule just today! 24-48 turnaround time is now 5 business days.

Back in early 2020, I booked my ticket on my phone, printed it, then walked into the consulate. Documents got checked and by the end of the day I got an email receipt of my application and I canceled my booking the next day when the mail tracking went active (I did an AA itinerary and used the HOLD option). Was hoping to do the same.

How things have changed with covid.
hikouki is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.