Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why is Delta so weak to Asia?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2023, 9:23 pm
Original Poster

Is DL tapped out to Asia?

Don’t think the China situation is going to smooth over anytime soon and with barebone service to PEK & PVG, is DL stuck with just HND & ICN now that they dropped NGO?

Miss the days of flying DL NRT to BKK or SIN. Would DL
be able to make a route like SEA-SIN on an A350 work?

SEA-TPE on an A339 possibly?
Old Feb 6, 2023, 9:42 pm

Programs: DL PM
I thought that was their strategy anyways once they entered the KE JV, regardless of the covid situations the past few years. We were gonna end up through ICN for 99.999982% of East/SE Asia, just as I end up in AMS/CDG for 99.999934% of my TATL trips.

CMIIW, of course.
moondog, lsquare, DrMilano and 5 others like this.
Old Feb 6, 2023, 9:55 pm
Original Poster

The KE JV is probably how DL sees their Asia strategy for now.

I may be wrong but I thought I read (pre-COVID) that DL worked overtime to get KE on board with the JV and that it took a lot of convincing KE as DL was set to benefit way more than KE was. My understanding is DL wanted access to KE’s extensive Chinese network/routes.

DL has added service to ICN from MSP and alleges they’re adding PDX-ICN. Correct me if I’m wrong but the only new route I can recall KE has started in the last decade to the US is BOS and I believe they started BOS before the JV with DL went into effect and before DL officially called BOS a hub.
Old Feb 6, 2023, 10:16 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, DL FO, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5 Whatevers
I remember reading that DL closed the stations @ TPE and SIN so no staff there anymore. I can't imagine that they are planning SEA-SIN/TPE anytime soon. SEA-SIN almost certainly won't happen - SQ already operates a nonstop and they have a partnership with AS. SEA-TPE would be nice though. AFAIK China Airlines (CI) has a pretty significant morning connection bank @ TPE so departures to TPE work best as redeyes, which I prefer. (Most of CI's existing US and Canada departures are redeyes going to TPE) I'd imagine there's enough local demand for SEA-TPE, because pre-covid I think Eva (BR) had 2 daily departures during peak-season travel.

Too bad DL treats CI as a bottom-tier partner (literally). It'd be nice if DL was closer to CI (even if it's not as close as they are to KE) - it would help with connectivity to Asia.
lsquare likes this.

Last edited by ab2013; Feb 6, 2023 at 10:25 pm
Old Feb 6, 2023, 10:17 pm

Programs: National Executive Elite, Avis Chairmans Club, Hertz Presidents Circle
Being a call center manager with frequent trips to Philippines I'd love for them to add LAX-MNL SEA-MN. Or even ICN-MNL on the 339 like they'd planned before COVID would be great.
Old Feb 6, 2023, 10:51 pm

Programs: National Executive Elite, Avis Chairmans Club, Hertz Presidents Circle
I'm surprised my flight to Hanoi Vietnam in August doesnt have a KE connection in ICN. This time fly to Tokyo and then on Vietnam Airlines to Hanoi.
Old Feb 6, 2023, 11:42 pm
zmb

Programs: DL Gold Medallion, Avis President's Club
SEA-KIX was also a thing pre-COVID. Sometime I'll go to Osaka and have to decide between flying to HND and trying out the shinkansen or going via ICN.
Old Feb 7, 2023, 2:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Magnum9
The KE JV is probably how DL sees their Asia strategy for now.

I may be wrong but I thought I read (pre-COVID) that DL worked overtime to get KE on board with the JV and that it took a lot of convincing KE as DL was set to benefit way more than KE was. My understanding is DL wanted access to KE’s extensive Chinese network/routes.

DL has added service to ICN from MSP and alleges they’re adding PDX-ICN. Correct me if I’m wrong but the only new route I can recall KE has started in the last decade to the US is BOS and I believe they started BOS before the JV with DL went into effect and before DL officially called BOS a hub.
China is excluded from the KE JV. DL has/had an extensive partnership with MU for China.

Originally Posted by BAS, E
China is outside of the joint venture because we do not have open skies with China," Bastian says. "This will have no impact on the flying we do into China.
moondog, uanj, CPMaverick and 1 others like this.

Last edited by flyerCO; Feb 7, 2023 at 2:35 am
Old Feb 7, 2023, 2:20 am

Programs: DL DM, AA Lifetime Plat, IHG SE
Originally Posted by Tony King
I'm surprised my flight to Hanoi Vietnam in August doesnt have a KE connection in ICN. This time fly to Tokyo and then on Vietnam Airlines to Hanoi.
I've flown and looked at US to Hanoi a lot lately -- Haneda has the Vietnam Airlines option, and ICN will often have both KAL and Vietnam Airlines options. Might depend on transit times --I'm mostly looking to fly out of SEA.

KL means full miles and MQM, Vietnam Airlines can be full, or 50% or 25%. But be careful with Premium Select : Vietnam Airlines often offers a PS, very similar to DL's, but even with DL codeshare G class ticket on the HAN-ICN leg, I was still in economy. Finally found out the underlying class was normal economy. KL doesn't offer PS so always will be economy.
Old Feb 7, 2023, 6:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mcjava
I've flown and looked at US to Hanoi a lot lately -- Haneda has the Vietnam Airlines option, and ICN will often have both KAL and Vietnam Airlines options. Might depend on transit times --I'm mostly looking to fly out of SEA.

KL means full miles and MQM, Vietnam Airlines can be full, or 50% or 25%. But be careful with Premium Select : Vietnam Airlines often offers a PS, very similar to DL's, but even with DL codeshare G class ticket on the HAN-ICN leg, I was still in economy. Finally found out the underlying class was normal economy. KL doesn't offer PS so always will be economy.
(Nevermind, now see poster means KE, not KL). Note that US domestic segs on DL PS fares will book into DL W/S C+ booking classes/seats which also earn no MQM bonus.

Last edited by xliioper; Feb 7, 2023 at 7:13 am
Old Feb 7, 2023, 6:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by xliioper
KL has equipment with PE cabins now. DL P/A/G fares will put you into that cabin and booking class will be P/A/G on equipment that has it. It is fairly typical for equipment without PE cabins to have a coach booking class when booked as part of a PS fare. The same can happen with FC and D1 fares on equipment that doesn't have a separate cabin up front. Yes, they will earn at reduced coach rates.
I'm assuming that poster means KE but has KL on the brain.
Old Feb 7, 2023, 6:32 am

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat
Originally Posted by ab2013
Too bad DL treats CI as a bottom-tier partner (literally). It'd be nice if DL was closer to CI (even if it's not as close as they are to KE) - it would help with connectivity to Asia.
I wonder why it's so difficult to find CI availability on Delta marketed flights now? Just about everything I see is KE flights routed thru ICN. Not very efficient when CI has non-stops from JFK to TPE.
Old Feb 7, 2023, 6:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by greenwichgolf
I wonder why it's so difficult to find CI availability on Delta marketed flights now? Just about everything I see is KE flights routed thru ICN. Not very efficient when CI has non-stops from JFK to TPE.
This has always been an issue. You have to call in and have agent piecemeal together. Even then, agent will initially quote wrong price.
Old Feb 7, 2023, 7:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by greenwichgolf
You won't find any decent redemptions out of US/Canada on CI metal anyway as their award levels to Asia have been harmonized with DL award levels just like KE metal awards. You'll need to begin/end journey outside of US/Canada for lower award levels. Award levels from US/Canada to/from Asia are also variable based on individual route (rather than being region based) due to harmonization. There are also different rates available for roundtrip vs. one-way bookings (as long as you meet advance purchase and min stay requirements for cheaper roundtrip award levels).
flyerCO and RealHJ like this.
Old Feb 7, 2023, 8:58 am

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat
Originally Posted by xliioper
You won't find any decent redemptions out of US/Canada on CI metal anyway as their award levels to Asia have been harmonized with DL award levels just like KE metal awards. You'll need to begin/end journey outside of US/Canada for lower award levels. Award levels from US/Canada to/from Asia are also variable based on individual route (rather than being region based) due to harmonization. There are also different rates available for roundtrip vs. one-way bookings (as long as you meet advance purchase and min stay requirements for cheaper roundtrip award levels).
Sorry, I should have been more specific:
almost impossible to find DL marketed cash/price inventory flights on non-stop JFK/TPE on CI.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.